• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

DVC Exchanges renting on Redweek for less than $7 a point? Why did I buy DVC again?

icydog

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
The $95 is only charged to exchangers. If you own at DVC and rent your points out your guests are considered members and accorded the same privileges as the owner. My kids love being DVC members even though they never bought a single point.

gorevs9

TUG Member
Reaction score
The $95 is only charged to exchangers. If you own at DVC and rent your points out your guests are considered members and accorded the same privileges as the owner. My kids love being DVC members even though they never bought a single point.
Thanks.

From another standpoint, should DVC owners or any TS owner be reporting exchange rentals to RCI or II?

M&M

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks.

From another standpoint, should DVC owners or any TS owner be reporting exchange rentals to RCI or II?

Why not? Renting out exchanges isn't "supposed to be" allowed by either exchange company.

icydog

TUG Member
Reaction score
I hate to "report" anyone. It never fails- whenever I get a "holier than thou" attitude I end up getting in trouble. It's the whole --"What goes around, comes around" thing.

I just don't think it's fair to anyone to rent dificult to get Disney weeks

jdetar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Agreed, let RCI and DVC do their own policing. These things happen in cycle's and it will clean itself out.

spiceycat

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bay Lake Towers @WDW
really surprised that Disney has not come down on redweek hard.

these are not only under cutting DVC member rentals - but Disney rentals.

redweek use to require proof that you owned the place - guess they got more customers not asking....:rolleyes:

if this keeps up really doubt DVC will be in RCI - everyone is replacable. If Lewis kepts losing Disney money - he will be replaced, too.

RCI has more DVC villas than II did. The first ones were before members started to trade with RCI. Don't know where they were coming from. May have been the Dvc buy backs.

the first time DVC when with RCI - when they canceled the contract they still have some RCI who traded to Disney - but no one wanted to trade back. this when on for 2 years - until it ran out.

really miss II. that say leaving my beach timeshares with II - so can get the two weeks for one. RCI won't do this. So instead of DVC just staying at Marriotts.

icydog

TUG Member
Reaction score
really surprised that Disney has not come down on redweek hard.

these are not only under cutting DVC member rentals - but Disney rentals.

redweek use to require proof that you owned the place - guess they got more customers not asking....:rolleyes:

if this keeps up really doubt DVC will be in RCI - everyone is replacable. If Lewis kepts losing Disney money - he will be replaced, too.

RCI has more DVC villas than II did. The first ones were before members started to trade with RCI. Don't know where they were coming from. May have been the Dvc buy backs.

the first time DVC when with RCI - when they canceled the contract they still have some RCI who traded to Disney - but no one wanted to trade back. this when on for 2 years - until it ran out.

really miss II. that say leaving my beach timeshares with II - so can get the two weeks for one. RCI won't do this. So instead of DVC just staying at Marriotts.

ME TOO about the Marriotts. But I am selling my Marriotts too. I'll still have a few-- but none that I would trade.

littlestar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club, Marriott & Wyndham pts
Agreed, let RCI and DVC do their own policing. These things happen in cycle's and it will clean itself out.

I agree. Let the big boys police themselves.

We purchased a resale of 100 SSR points recently to up our DVC points. That way I know I can stay at DVC once a year. I had thought about trying to trade in with our dual affiliated RCI/II resort, but II gives me two bonus weeks for our Week 27 in the mountains when I lock it off and I don't want to give that up. Sheraton Vistana Villages (especially with their new feature pool coming in November) and the Marriotts in Orlando are just fine for our other trips to Orlando. ;)

spiceycat

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bay Lake Towers @WDW
ME TOO about the Marriotts. But I am selling my Marriotts too. I'll still have a few-- but none that I would trade.

definitely love the Marriotts.

can easily get the ones in Orlando. but HH - especially Marriott's Grande Ocean - loved it, can only get in offseason.

but can't afford both DVC and Marriott.

the list of RCI resorts that DVC members can trade too - will definitely cause DVC some trouble. Some of them are the top resorts in the area. but others are the worst. the worst are in great locations. so some members will exchange to these resorts then come back and COMPLAINT :annoyed: -

can understand why these resorts are there - but hoping that DVC makes the member aware that these are not top, or even middle resorts in the area.

FLDVCFamily

TUG Member
Reaction score
It's not allowed. But it's done. If you get a chance look at Redweek under Lake Buena Vista Florida to see all the rental ads for exchanged weeks into DVC resorts. These weeks, for far less than maintenance fees, undervalue our resorts.

I emailed DVC member satisfaction and talked to them on the phone about this several times. They sounded concerned, but yet the exchanges for rent are still coming up in droves. Honestly, short of assigning someone to chase this full-time, I don't think that there is much that they can do. I even asked an RCI rep. about it, and she said that technically it's not allowed, but they won't stop people unless they're doing it repeatedly as a business:eek: We're also going to sell most of our DVC points. We're keeping the small contract for the AP discount. We can trade in much more cheaply via RCI now, so there is no point in owning DVC anymore for us. The units available through RCI are a lot better than the units that I saw coming up on II. My resorts are dual-affiliated, so either exchange company is fine with me trade-wise. I hope that the great deposits into RCI continue! If not, then it's going to be Bonnet Creek for us :)

Last edited:

FLDVCFamily

TUG Member
Reaction score

Well, unless DVC really presses RCI, I don't think that they will be doing their own policing. The RCI rep. that I spoke to when depositing a week recently told me that they just don't stop people from renting their exchanges unless it's being done frequently as a "business". Her exact words were "do it once, we won't stop you. Do it twice, we still won't stop you. Do it as a business and we'll restrict online access to your RCI account." Yeaaaah. I don't think that they'll be policing much:rolleyes:

V

Vacation Dude

DVC only cares about getting new sales and getting annual dues.

Think about it, RCI is bringing in tons of non-owners and probably sold DVC some line of bull like a certain % of exchangers will love DVC so much they will buy on the spot.

Thus, for the short time frame, it is probably better not to be a DVC owner, but this probably will not last forever.

Twinkstarr

TUG Member
Reaction score
DVC only cares about getting new sales and getting annual dues.

Think about it, RCI is bringing in tons of non-owners and probably sold DVC some line of bull like a certain % of exchangers will love DVC so much they will buy on the spot.

Thus, for the short time frame, it is probably better not to be a DVC owner, but this probably will not last forever.

New incentives that just came out do not include developer points, I think besides "seeding" the system, a lot of DP's were being deposited into RCI.

Will be interesting to see if the DP's were the main driver of inventory in RCI.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
New incentives that just came out do not include developer points, I think besides "seeding" the system, a lot of DP's were being deposited into RCI.

Will be interesting to see if the DP's were the main driver of inventory in RCI.

But Starr, you are making an assumption that II didn't get a lot of developer points, when they probably always did. The reason they didn't show a bunch of availability is because they hold inventory back from view. Do you really think II has only 12 weeks on Maui at any given time? No way! :D They hold that inventory back for exchange requests, and that is why you didn't see availability online.

RCI puts everything out there, and it's preferable to keeping inventory back from exchangers, in my opinion. I like knowing what's out there, and I like grabbing stuff over making an exchange request.

All of the Marriott owners in II, which is a huge number, had the ability to get Disney resorts, and that is the difference between RCI and II: there are no large numbers of exchangers coming from any one developer pool with high trading power. Maybe there are a few small players, but Marriott is a big player on II, and I believe that is where most of the exchanges went.

We actually used about 10 weeks during our short usage period (less than three years) of Foxrun with II.

For those who were told that an ongoing search through RCI for Disney should come through, even though you cannot see inventory with those weeks, I believe you were misled. You may have to quote what you see on TUG after a bulk bank deposit, and just ask for one of those exchanges. That is your best bet because RCI will leave you guessing and wondering for a long time and your dates for exchange will pass without getting anything. I have tried one of the ongoing searches with a decent trader that couldn't see the Disneys online, knowing full well that there were weeks that would match very soon, and nothing. I was disappointed, but I knew that it wouldn't happen, deep in my heart. :(

Twinkstarr

TUG Member
Reaction score
But Starr, you are making an assumption that II didn't get a lot of developer points, when they probably always did. The reason they didn't show a bunch of availability is because they hold inventory back from view. Do you really think II has only 12 weeks on Maui at any given time? No way! :D They hold that inventory back for exchange requests, and that is why you didn't see availability online.

RCI puts everything out there, and it's preferable to keeping inventory back from exchangers, in my opinion. I like knowing what's out there, and I like grabbing stuff over making an exchange request.

All of the Marriott owners in II, which is a huge number, had the ability to get Disney resorts, and that is the difference between RCI and II: there are no large numbers of exchangers coming from any one developer pool with high trading power. Maybe there are a few small players, but Marriott is a big player on II, and I believe that is where most of the exchanges went.

We actually used about 10 weeks during our short usage period (less than three years) of Foxrun with II.

For those who were told that an ongoing search through RCI for Disney should come through, even though you cannot see inventory with those weeks, I believe you were misled. You may have to quote what you see on TUG after a bulk bank deposit, and just ask for one of those exchanges. That is your best bet because RCI will leave you guessing and wondering for a long time and your dates for exchange will pass without getting anything. I have tried one of the ongoing searches with a decent trader that couldn't see the Disneys online, knowing full well that there were weeks that would match very soon, and nothing. I was disappointed, but I knew that it wouldn't happen, deep in my heart. :(

Cindy, I'm just saying that I think the amount of weeks that you and Brian are seeing in RCI, might decease due to the fact that the developer points have ended as an incentive. Don't know how much developer inventory DVC has to enter. Maybe they would rather rent it out as Extra Vacations!

I think Dean posted somewhere that only a really small number of DVC'ers actually exchange their points(some single digit %).

So I'm thinking that 100+ units might not be there in 6 months.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
Cindy, I'm just saying that I think the amount of weeks that you and Brian are seeing in RCI, might decease due to the fact that the developer points have ended as an incentive. Don't know how much developer inventory DVC has to enter. Maybe they would rather rent it out as Extra Vacations!

I think Dean posted somewhere that only a really small number of DVC'ers actually exchange their points(some single digit %).

So I'm thinking that 100+ units might not be there in 6 months.

Maybe not, but I think there might be quite a few still appearing because even if there are only single digits of exchangers, Disney is huge. Another factor is the limited number of people who are able to actually trade into Disney, and then subtract the number of people who don't care for the Disney hype, and I think that creates a glut of inventory.

Hiltons have such a huge number of weeks available that I can get with my blue weeks, but they put that 1-in-4 in place to keep people from exchanging into their resorts every year. That creates a glut of inventory and the incentive for RCI to get exchangers. It's actually not a bad thing to get a Hilton for a blue week. I wonder if DVC will go that direction at some point? That would take care of the rental issue, because what morons are going to rent a week that they want to save for use themselves?

tlwmkw

Reaction score
Cindy,

I don't think that Marriott took all the DVC's when they were with II. We are Marriott owners and tried twice to exchange into DVC- the II Marriot desk rep said "You will never get DVC- we see so little of those because the DVC owners always use their points- it will be like winning the lottery to get that". Now I know that Tuggers report getting DVC with their weeks but that's what we were told when trading with high demand Marriott weeks. The II folks also said that because DVC controls what is deposited they preferred to rent out the deposited weeks and not put them out for exchangers- maybe with the economy they can't do that as successfully now so the weeks are available. I do think these developer weeks are adding to RCI inventory so I guess if you are an RCI member then make hay while the sun shines and enjoy it- we'll see if these weeks disappear as time goes on.

tlwmkw

icydog

TUG Member
Reaction score
I bought more DVC points at Bay Lake Towers.. Don't say it!!!!

I decided to buy where I want to go. I want to go to the newest DVC resort and I know I won't be able to trade into it. Therefore I switched gears and bought more points. So much for my resolve. I couldn't pass up those incentives, no closing fees, quick turnaround, low maintenance fees for this resort and longer timeframe. Okay you can all throw darts at me now. :eek:

luvsvacation22

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Grand Californian-VGC
Animal Kingdom-AKV
I decided to buy where I want to go. I want to go to the newest DVC resort and I know I won't be able to trade into it. Therefore I switched gears and bought more points. So much for my resolve. I couldn't pass up those incentives, no closing fees, quick turnaround, low maintenance fees for this resort and longer timeframe. Okay you can all throw darts at me now. :eek:

Icydog, How many points do you own including your BLT points? Did you spread out your new contract into smaller ones, in the event you do want to sell?:D

I just added GCV, but I am really want to add BLT points too. I have a serious case of addonitis!:)

icydog

TUG Member
Reaction score
Icydog, How many points do you own including your BLT points? Did you spread out your new contract into smaller ones, in the event you do want to sell?:D

I just added GCV, but I am really want to add BLT points too. I have a serious case of addonitis!:)

Love that Bichon. We have one too. Did you get the incentives? If not they CAN do your contract over. I had 1380 and I added 350 yesterday so the total is 1730. They have a list of over 1000 members over on the Dis and I am now number 11 in total points. Of course, there are many others that have more points than I do that don't know about the Disboards. My doctor's Physician's Assistant has over 2500.

luvsvacation22

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Grand Californian-VGC
Animal Kingdom-AKV
Love that Bichon. We have one too. Did you get the incentives? If not they CAN do your contract over. I had 1380 and I added 350 yesterday so the total is 1730. They have a list of over 1000 members over on the Dis and I am now number 11 in total points. Of course, there are many others that have more points than I do that don't know about the Disboards. My doctor's Physician's Assistant has over 2500.

Oh my...you must spend a lot of time in WDW! You own a very large piece of the mouse! :)

Yes we did get the incentives, my guide may throw me overboard, because I want to add a little more (we already changed it once.):) We are still waiting for the package, so as long as we haven't officially signed...I know I can still change it!

Thanks, we love Bichons too, and my dog is truly a lap dog! He is my constant companion!

Last edited:

Lisa P

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Points

tlwmkw

Reaction score
Is Bay Lake towers open yet? Has anyone stayed there?

Would love to see pictures of it and of the views of the Magic Kingdom.