• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

DVC direct vs resale questions

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I brought resale DVC/AKV 90 points BEFORE the resale restrictions were added. I use or rent out my points every 3 years... 270 points makes a nice vacation stay or a good ROI on the MFs. Now, if I only could snag a RCI exchange week in the same window as my Annual Pass (of every 3 years), I would truly be a happy in my small world at WDW.

PS Yes, I could stay at Bonnet Creek ... but I am one spoil person who love EMHs and not having to rent a rental car.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I know I'm new to TUG and TUG BBS but we've been rolling DVC around in our heads ever since we got back from our last vacation. We have some questions about direct vs resale in relation to how you can use resale points. Our most likely scenario would be to buy a bulk of our points resale (We would like to purchase at BWV or BCV but the downside to this would be the shorter contract therefore the shorter available time to enjoy our home resort) then add on 25-50 points direct from DVC to one of the newer resorts, Aulani most likely since Hawaii would be a common secondary destination as well. Talk to me about how I can use the resale points vs how the direct points can be used? Since we would be members in our own right after getting direct points would we be able to pull from the pool of our entire points to book cruises or use in the RCI exchanges? I'm a little confused in how this all works together. We would want to enjoy our vacation time for as long as possible without having to re-purchase a longer contract to continue the fun down the road. Thanks!
I'd agree with the bulk of the consensus here. I'd buy resale first then buy 25 retail second. You cannot use non qualified points even if some are qualified, unlike Bluegreen for example. I don't believe in the "buy where you want to stay" mantra because many don't actually know where that is when buying and almost 100% of those new to DVC don't know but often think they do though some will GUESS right. I'd suggest buy where you don't mind staying though for those who are knowledgeable and have experience, they can be the same thing. Never buy for cash type exchanges, there has never been a time in DVC history where it made sense to do so and it's infinitely worse today than it was early on. The actual value of what you're give up is still what it is today, not what one paid 10 or 20 years ago though for those who own with the options, it can make sense in a very limited number of situations.

IMO the best way to do this is about 6 months of active investigation, have a certain amount of on property Disney experience and at least some DVC experience. Usually this means at least 1 or 2 DVC rentals of some type either in the past or going forward. One of the big mistakes many new to DVC make is trying to get that next trip on points and count that as part of their savings. Usually that means they make poor choices of home resort, contract qualify, retail vs resale and number of points. If one is going to buy without going through this process, I'd buy the best value and best UY regardless where they think they want going forward, normally that's SSR. Then give it a try a trip or 2 then see how it goes. For that plan, I'd delay the retail purchase until the longer term plans are settled. But I do agree that the best situation, when one is knowledgeable enough, is to plan the resale and retail as a package and buy the resale first. Don't forget UY can be VERY important and where it's not, everyone is taking more risk owning DVC than if they could chose a good UY.

qwerty

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'd agree with the bulk of the consensus here. I'd buy resale first then buy 25 retail second. You cannot use non qualified points even if some are qualified, unlike Bluegreen for example. I don't believe in the "buy where you want to stay" mantra because many don't actually know where that is when buying and almost 100% of those new to DVC don't know but often think they do though some will GUESS right. I'd suggest buy where you don't mind staying though for those who are knowledgeable and have experience, they can be the same thing. Never buy for cash type exchanges, there has never been a time in DVC history where it made sense to do so and it's infinitely worse today than it was early on. The actual value of what you're give up is still what it is today, not what one paid 10 or 20 years ago though for those who own with the options, it can make sense in a very limited number of situations.

IMO the best way to do this is about 6 months of active investigation, have a certain amount of on property Disney experience and at least some DVC experience. Usually this means at least 1 or 2 DVC rentals of some type either in the past or going forward. One of the big mistakes many new to DVC make is trying to get that next trip on points and count that as part of their savings. Usually that means they make poor choices of home resort, contract qualify, retail vs resale and number of points. If one is going to buy without going through this process, I'd buy the best value and best UY regardless where they think they want going forward, normally that's SSR. Then give it a try a trip or 2 then see how it goes. For that plan, I'd delay the retail purchase until the longer term plans are settled. But I do agree that the best situation, when one is knowledgeable enough, is to plan the resale and retail as a package and buy the resale first. Don't forget UY can be VERY important and where it's not, everyone is taking more risk owning DVC than if they could chose a good UY.

Although you suggest buying SSR, we only want to stay at Boardwalk or the Beach club.
Because of the reservation window, we don't want to take the chance of not staying there.
We can travel when ever we want and are able to plan in advance.

I do see both on resale now and then, but quickly sell.

When you buy 25 points "retail" after buying a resale, do they take on the same home resort?

Also, what are some resale sites?

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
you can buy any use year and any resort as a 25 point direct purchase from DVC as an add on, to the extent it is available. We had VWL sept and did a 35 point add on at HHI with an Oct UY (bc they didn't have sept avail). That 35 point add on qualified us for DVC DCL members cruise.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Although you suggest buying SSR, we only want to stay at Boardwalk or the Beach club.
Because of the reservation window, we don't want to take the chance of not staying there.
We can travel when ever we want and are able to plan in advance.

I do see both on resale now and then, but quickly sell.

When you buy 25 points "retail" after buying a resale, do they take on the same home resort?

Also, what are some resale sites?
If you're truly informed and know from on property and DVC experience that you want the EPCOT area, I'd buy there. To clarify, I didn't suggest you buy SSR, only that for some situations it was the best option and for those that were jumping in before they are truly educated, it is almost always the best option. Many think they know what they want but often are wrong in the end. I would suggest if you're truly flexible, learn the system, plan ahead and use the wait list; BWV is very workable at 7 months out even for the fall events and early Dec, but it will be a struggle and you may not get standard view. BWV should be fairly available in general to buy resale. Actually I have an owner who just today was asking me about selling privately and how to do so but it didn't sound like they had a buyer. I don't know the UY or how many points but if you want to contact me privately, I could likely get you together to see if it would be a win-win.

you can buy any use year and any resort as a 25 point direct purchase from DVC as an add on, to the extent it is available. We had VWL sept and did a 35 point add on at HHI with an Oct UY (bc they didn't have sept avail). That 35 point add on qualified us for DVC DCL members cruise.
Normally they'll require the same UY but on rare occasions they've waived the minimum in this situation where they didn't have the same UY available. IMO one should wait and get the same UY. Better to have the same UY and a different resort than the same resort different UY for very small contracts for almost all situations IMO. There have actually been a couple of reports of new buyers being able to buy 25 pts but only a couple and the last I saw this was about 2 years ago.

Weimaraner

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'd be a Dvc owner by now but am so overwhelmed by the choices in resorts and can't decide which one to make my home. Plus I get to hear from my sales rep every time I take a trip anywhere near Orlando :)