• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

DVC-Bonnet Creek comparisons if you've stayed at both

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
I agree that DVC is at the top price right now, for whatever reason. Covid didn't tank the values, but when we bought the values were the lowest. I think we got OKW for $50 per point resale, and Saratoga was about $55 per point. Granted, we don't get the benefits that buying direct gets.

I remember Steamboat Bill here on TUG talking up the DVC contracts direct at the time we bought resale. I think it was just ~ $80 per point and included the current use year's points for free. That was Saratoga Springs, if I remember correctly. So you can hope for a downturn in the economy. That was only about 8 or ten years ago. I am not good at looking for these older posts.

Look at what has happened with buying direct! Holy moly they are getting their money now on those points. Wish I had bought in 1991 when they built OKW. I had no idea Disney had a timeshare program. That happened to be our first trip. I would have considered a purchase back then.

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
If we were buying TS now, I’d buy Wyndham or Marriott. DVC is too expensive unless you plan to spend most of your stay in the parks or otherwise on WDW property
As it happens, this was exactly our thinking when we bought our first timeshare. We were looking for a week in February in a 2BR annually. Even back then, a resale DVC ownership to make that happen was big $$. The purchase was doable, though it was also a stretch, and it would mean committing to DVC for a good seven years to get real value out of it. At the time, we were not sure the kids wouldn't "age out" of Disney---some kids get tired of Disney once they hit teen/tween years, others don't. We decided to buy Wyndham instead---the much larger range of interesting resort locations and lower buy-in cost made up for not being "in the bubble."

I've never regretted that decision. Looking back on it, the kids didn't age out so much as our school/work breaks changed to make annual family trips to WDW a lot harder. We did manage to get some great exchanges back into DVC over the years, especially back when 2BRs were possible. So, we got the best of both worlds in some ways. But we've also had some fantastic vacations using our Wyndham points internally--a few in Orlando, but many other places too.

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
And we went the other route. We bought a small DVC in 2007, which we used for studios to supplement RCI Orlando trades. In 2014, we asked our 2 youngest teens where they liked to vacation--both said WDW. DH said if he had to be in Orlando, he wanted to be at DVC, and didn't want to stay offsite. So, we sold our small contract (for a decent profit) and bought resale DVC-AKV. During Covid, we sold DVC-AKV in a few days for 20% more than resale purchase price. DVC is a big upfront payment but highly liquid. I was surprised during Covid that pricing actually increased! YMMV, but DVC was very solid for us. My only complaint is high points for 2BR-for that, we still stayed offsite, usually in a 3BR HGVC or M. Looking forward to trying the "almost in the bubble" BC soon.

Limace

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC-Grand Californian
DVC-Animal Kingdom Kidani
I agree that DVC is at the top price right now, for whatever reason. Covid didn't tank the values, but when we bought the values were the lowest. I think we got OKW for $50 per point resale, and Saratoga was about $55 per point. Granted, we don't get the benefits that buying direct gets.

I remember Steamboat Bill here on TUG talking up the DVC contracts direct at the time we bought resale. I think it was just ~ $80 per point and included the current use year's points for free. That was Saratoga Springs, if I remember correctly. So you can hope for a downturn in the economy. That was only about 8 or ten years ago. I am not good at looking for these older posts.

Look at what has happened with buying direct! Holy moly they are getting their money now on those points. Wish I had bought in 1991 when they built OKW. I had no idea Disney had a timeshare program. That happened to be our first trip. I would have considered a purchase back then.

I’d you bought long enough ago to get those prices my guess is your contracts are old enough to qualify for direct benefits?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)

Was Steamboat Bill on Tug? I remember him on mouseowners.com a lot and spoke to him quiet a lot during the "golden age" of DVC resale. He was banned from mouseowners for some infraction and have not talked to him in years. The good old days of SSR(most any DVC property) resale with 3 years of points. Getting the full allotment of banked and current points for no maintenance fees.

cbyrne1174

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham, Marriott, DVC
100% resale!!
I have no issues trading into SSR for about $1050/week for a 1 bedroom (including all exchange/maintenance fees). OKW can be a little more difficult. You have to do an ongoing search. I usually just use SSR/OKW/Bonnet Creek/Reunion for Orlando. Reunion is another Wyndham resort that is spread out on a golf course like SSR and has its own water park and 8 community pools. I mainly use Reunion for a staycation. I don't actually visit the parks while I stay there. It's a vacation in and of itself. When looking at point charts, the easiest way to calculate cost is $$ per thousand. With a Canterbury deed, it's $4.34 per thousand (Including the 64 cent program fee) using resale points. That's the lowest maintenance fee resort. A 2 bedroom presidential starts at 175,000 points, so you can get one for as little as $760 a week depending on where you own and when you travel.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Now I’m going to be on the hunt for a cheap Canterbury for the low maint fee
Is this possible. I suspect the low MF drives up the upfront purchase price. Kind of like how it is with WKV vs SVV on the Vistana side.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
Is this possible. I suspect the low MF drives up the upfront purchase price. Kind of like how it is with WKV vs SVV on the Vistana side.
I would not spend WKV money on a Wyndham, I’d buy a WKV. Geez, I thought Wyndham points were always free.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I would not spend WKV money on a Wyndham, I’d buy a WKV. Geez, I thought Wyndham points were always free.
Well, I am sure they aren't close to WKV prices. I don't really know the prices. But it may be more like a few thousand vs freebie. Someone with more knowledge of Wyndham resale would have to weigh in.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Well, I am sure they aren't close to WKV prices. I don't really know the prices. But it may be more like a few thousand vs freebie. Someone with more knowledge of Wyndham resale would have to weigh in.
I’m going to research it with my sister in law. WBC may be perfect for Disney trips. While I’m loving the Savannah view, the Sheraton was much more comfortable. I can see myself preferring OKW if I come back to a DVC property, based off the reviews of the room sizes there. I was happy with that Amelia two bedroom. They gave me the same room as last week

cbyrne1174

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
100% resale!!

Bali hai and Canterbury have really low MF, but are the most expensive to own. You do save what you paid in MF within 5-10 years and Wyndham deeds dont expire so they are worth what you paid for them when you go to resell them. Those 2 resorts are really sought after by Wyndham owners so they are super competitive when bidding for them.

If you just want a simple low MF deed that is easy to find, just go with Grand Desert. That's where I mostly own, resale of course. If i had to do it again, i would have just dished out the money for bali hai or canterbury.

cbyrne1174

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
100% resale!!
I’m going to research it with my sister in law. WBC may be perfect for Disney trips. While I’m loving the Savannah view, the Sheraton was much more comfortable. I can see myself preferring OKW if I come back to a DVC property, based off the reviews of the room sizes there. I was happy with that Amelia two bedroom. They gave me the same room as last week
If you're considering Wyndham points for Orlando, try renting at both WBC and Reunion first. Less people know about Reunion, but it's a really nice resort. They only have 3 bedrooms, but the rooms are presidential quality for less points than a 3 bedroom deluxe at WBC. The main hotel has a rooftop pool and steakhouse facing WDW fireworks on the 11th floor.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
If you're considering Wyndham points for Orlando, try renting at both WBC and Reunion first. Less people know about Reunion, but it's a really nice resort. They only have 3 bedrooms, but the rooms are presidential quality for less points than a 3 bedroom deluxe at WBC. The main hotel has a rooftop pool and steakhouse facing WDW fireworks on the 11th floor.
Well then, rooftop and firework facing works for me I’ll def check out reunion. I just picked up an RCI points account for DVC trades. If I can easily get WBC or Reunion with RCI points I may be all set. The 3 bedroom is appealing for when I travel with my brothers family

cbyrne1174

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
100% resale!!
Well then, rooftop and firework facing works for me I’ll def check out reunion. I just picked up an RCI points account for DVC trades. If I can easily get WBC or Reunion with RCI points I may be all set. The 3 bedroom is appealing for when I travel with my brothers family

Just keep in mind, you're staying in the villas and not the hotel with RCI points, so you have to drive up to the hotel from your villa. I filmed most of the community pools and put them on my Youtube channel last time I was there. The rooftop pool was closed when I was there though. I also don't have footage of the waterpark because there are already tons of videos of it.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Just keep in mind, you're staying in the villas and not the hotel with RCI points, so you have to drive up to the hotel from your villa. I filmed most of the community pools and put them on my Youtube channel last time I was there. The rooftop pool was closed when I was there though. I also don't have footage of the waterpark because there are already tons of videos of it.

This is great, I’ll check it out

AnnieBets

TUG Member
Reaction score
I went to a Wyndham presentation last week and was offered $30,000 toward Wyndham points for my 210 OKW points.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
I went to a Wyndham presentation last week and was offered $30,000 toward Wyndham points for my 210 OKW points.
I’ll transfer you 30K worth of Wyndham points for your 210 OKW points too lol. Hold up while I go get them for free on eBay hahah.

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
You can easily resale your okw for about $20k, and then get free/low cost Wyndham points!

cbyrne1174

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
100% resale!!
Here is a good video on Youtube that also shows why I personally like the facilities at Wyndham Reunion more for my daughter than DVC. Keep in mind a nice 3 bedroom unit usually costs me about $130-$150 a night (weeknights). This is just the waterpark, there are 8 more community pools you also have access to.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Here is a good video on Youtube that also shows why I personally like the facilities at Wyndham Reunion more for my daughter than DVC. Keep in mind a nice 3 bedroom unit usually costs me about $130-$150 a night (weeknights). This is just the waterpark, there are 8 more community pools you also have access to.

YouTube is great :D You can check places out to help you decide where to go.

cbyrne1174

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
100% resale!!
I might be staying at Reunion during Spring break if cases are down. I have it booked because it was on sale ($97 worth of maintenance fees a night). I might just film everything to show just why I like Club Wyndham over DVC. I can also stay at OKW and SSR pretty easily for $1050/week using an ongoing search via RCI with my buy in costs being only a few hundred dollars for my Club Wyndham Grand Desert deeds vs $20,000 for SSR points. I equate 1 night in a studio using DVC to costing about $130-$150 a night (buy in + annual dues), so a 1500 sq foot 3 bedroom deluxe (weeknights) at Reunion costs the same amount or less than a dinky 350 sq foot DVC studio (weeknights), and you get free admission to a small waterpark that is supposed to be renovated soon (extra slides/wave pool).

I really think DVC is an emotional purchase and not a logical one if you like to travel to Orlando a lot. I can get about 4-5 weeks of vacation time at Reunion/BC for about $2800/year. Obviously I use my points elsewhere, mainly the FL beach resorts, but Wyndham points easily stretch that far.