• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

DVC-Bonnet Creek comparisons if you've stayed at both

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
building on the "is the bubble worth in anymore" thread, If you've stayed at both DVC and Bonnet Creek, I'd love to hear your comparisons, pros/cons. (esp. for BC- things like noise in units, bed comfort/quality, transportation to parks, atmosphere at resort/pools, food court offerings, etc.). thanks. Elaine

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
building on the "is the bubble worth in anymore" thread, If you've stayed at both DVC and Bonnet Creek, I'd love to hear your comparisons, pros/cons. (esp. for BC- things like noise in units, bed comfort/quality, transportation to parks, atmosphere at resort/pools, food court offerings, etc.) thanks. Elaine
I would love to know too. We have stayed in DVC recently. We don't own, but I would love to know what great alternatives there are to DVC and how they compare. I know Bonnet Creek is loved by the folks on DISBoards. I think also Marriott's Harbour Lake is a great alternative as well. Smaller but with an OKW feel to it.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
building on the "is the bubble worth in anymore" thread, If you've stayed at both DVC and Bonnet Creek, I'd love to hear your comparisons, pros/cons. (esp. for BC- things like noise in units, bed comfort/quality, transportation to parks, atmosphere at resort/pools, food court offerings, etc.) thanks. Elaine
I’d love to know overall quality compared to Marriott or Vistana as well (that’s what I know). This would give me another good option for my RCI points when I cant snag DVC. It will also help me decide on if I should finally take the DVC plunge.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
Transportation to parks is no longer free, so that is a big raspberry on them. :) It costs quite a bit and not worth the price for a big family. The food court is great. The units are quiet and really beautiful. The internet sort of sucked every time we have stayed there as well. So it's not all that great. The pools are great, the grandkids really love the pirate pool

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
We've done DVC stays at BCV, BLT, BRV, BWV, OKW, and SSR. I've also done a couple of stays at WBC. Each has different strengths and weaknesses, but all have been great vacations.

I like the layouts at WBC better than any of the DVC units I've stayed in with the possible exception of OKW. Most other DVC balconies are so small as to be nearly unusable. It's hard to fit four around most DVC dining tables, and the living areas mostly seem too small for the overall units. Not having ice makers in some of the DVC resorts is a pet peeve of mine (I am hoping that the hard goods renovation at SSR fixes this). I recall the furniture/beds at WBC to be fine, but it's been a while.

The pools at Bonnet are IMO more interesting than most DVC pools except Stormalong Bay, which is more comparable. Everything at Bonnet is an easy walk from everything else. Quick service is okay, food prices are comparable and drink prices are less expensive. The hotel building has a causal outdoor/covered grill with table service and a couple of sit down restaurants inside. Bonnet has a definite "resort" atmosphere, lots of families having a good time. I suspect the average Bonnet guest spends more time at the resort and less time at the theme parks, which helps make the place feel more lively. The high rises do make it a little more densely populated than anything other than maybe RIV and BLT. I don't recall problems with noise at WBC, but also never had a room overlooking the pools/lake. The room I had at BWV that overlooked the feature pool did get some pool noise, but it wasn't bothersome---maybe because noise generally doesn't bother me. Bonnet has gas grills that are well-kept vs. DVC charcoal, so I never grill at the latter. I think GFV might have gas grills too, but I've never stayed there.

I would never stay at WBC without a car, and I would never use their shuttle for transportation to the parks. If I wanted someone else to drive I would take an Uber/Lyft/cab rather than their shuttle. To be fair, I almost always rent a car when I'm at DVC resorts too. At some of the DVC units, parking is far even on a good day---notably excepting the most common SSR and OKW. I never had much of a problem parking at WBC but was in a building close to the garage so maybe just got lucky. WBC has a great location on Buena Vista Drive between the Epcot resorts and Disney Springs; it is very central. You will often drive past it when going between SSR/OKW and the theme parks.

Depending on where exactly your room is, WBC can be "more Disney" than some of the DVC resorts. One of our stays was a higher floor in a building that overlooked Epcot--I could see Spaceship Earth out the sliding glass doors while I was making breakfast in the kitchen. We had a great view of the Epcot fireworks, and could see the Magic Kingdom fireworks off in the distance as well.

dannybaker

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
We are disney nuts and have annual passes and stay at DVC on a regular basis and believe Marriott and bonnet creek are as nice as DVC.
Everyone is different and at different stages of their life.

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Agree that there are many very nice (or arguably nicer) offsite resorts. We've stayed at HGVC-SW and Tuscany, almost all Marriotts, etc. Wondering specifically about BC and how it stacks up to DVC as an "almost in the bubble" option. It is a very unique "offsite" alternative bc is literally inches from onsite. Of all the others, the drive-time is a deal-killer for DH (who had to shuttle 4 teens)--no matter how luxurious the digs.
So, from responses:
+1 BC: Gas grill are a nice bonus for BC vs DVC BBQ-who wants to lug/buy charcoal, lighter fluid, etc.?!
-1 BC: still need to get into a car to get to parks (plus parking fee for WDW) or pay $$ for family of 5 shuttles/uber.
-1 DVC: eating space squished for 4+ except OKW.
-1 DVC small balconies (except OKW).

Last edited:

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Gas grill are a nice bonus for BC vs DVC BBQ-who wants to lug/buy charcoal, lighter fluid, etc.?!

I wonder what drove that choice. Liability/cost with gas lines? Or would they rather you eat in the parks and spend money? Another factor is that most people staying on site have a Disney dining plan? I just realized the balconies don’t have full tables and chairs like Vistana or Marriott. That’s a killer for me since I tend eat a lot of meals on the balcony.

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
OKW 1BR+ has round heavy duty plastic table/chairs for 4 with fairly large (maybe screened?) porch and a good-sized eating space for 4-as opposed to mot other DVCs.

Last edited:

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
OKW 1BR+ has round heavy duty plastic table/chairs for 4 with fairly large screened porch and a good-sized eating space for 4-as opposed to mot other DVCs.
That’s a big deal for me, I will just have to deal with AKV small table this week. SSR treehouses look like a better alternative. They each have huge decks. I have to buy a DVC just to book that!

montygz

TUG Member
Reaction score
building on the "is the bubble worth in anymore" thread, If you've stayed at both DVC and Bonnet Creek, I'd love to hear your comparisons, pros/cons. (esp. for BC- things like noise in units, bed comfort/quality, transportation to parks, atmosphere at resort/pools, food court offerings, etc.). thanks. Elaine
I enjoy staying at both resorts. When I visit Disney, we mainly stay at Saratoga Springs, but we have stayed at Old Key West and the Beach Club.

DVC advantages
1. Location. You can't get any closer. Walking to Disney Springs or Epcot is great.
2. Transportation. If you don't feel like driving, Disney has you covered. Of course, sometimes you are better off driving, even when staying at a DVC resort.
3. Lots of lifeguards at the feature pools. Overall I like the theming and feature pools at the DVC resorts over WBC.
4. Food court at Saratoga Springs. I like fast-casual restaurants, so I find it a plus.
5. Overall theming. Disney does a great job.

WBC advantages
1. Much more space for your money. We will stay in a 1BR at DVC and a 2 or 3 bedroom at WBC. This is a huge advantage for a long stay.
2. Easier to book. WBC seems to always have a room you can get. Reservations are hawked all over. No "renting points" games the DVC owners like to play.
3. Free mini golf and a nice lazy river.
4. Great views. The tall towers at WBC mean you can really get some memorable views if you are lucky enough to get one.
5. Compact layout. The resort is easy to get around in. Saratoga Springs is sprawling by comparison.

When it comes to things like noise, bed comfort, etc. those things are a tie. I've had excellent service at both places. Overall, I find timeshare resorts much quieter than a hotel thanks to the large room sizes. As for the rooms, all Orlando rooms get a lot of use, so I don't expect perfection. Much will come down to the last time your unit was refurbed, which can be the luck of the draw.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Both are nice as are the Hilton's and most of the Marriott properties. All different with plusses and minuses but the same can be said comparing the different DVC resorts as well. Overall we prefer on property for transportation, early access when available (coming back) and the theming of the resorts. I think the non presidential rooms at BC are a little below DVC but the grills there are great and the lazy river is a nice option overall. In many ways we prefer the Fountains and some of the Marriott's to BC. Regardless we are content and adapt to where we stay but on vs off is a different feel to us.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Both are nice as are the Hilton's and most of the Marriott properties. All different with plusses and minuses but the same can be said comparing the different DVC resorts as well. Overall we prefer on property for transportation, early access when available (coming back) and the theming of the resorts. I think the non presidential rooms at BC are a little below DVC but the grills there are great and the lazy river is a nice option overall. In many ways we prefer the Fountains and some of the Marriott's to BC. Regardless we are content and adapt to where we stay but on vs off is a different feel to us.
I’m at vistana villages now across from the fountains. The fountains look good. I’d book there using RCI points, but it seems like there is always cheap units with interval AC’s

cbyrne1174

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham, Marriott, DVC
100% resale!!
If you can afford a DVC contract, then you can afford a Bali Hai or Canterbury resale Wyndham deed (lowest maintenance fees in the Wyndham system) and stay in a 2 BR presidential for the same price as a studio with a smaller buy in cost. The cabins, Grande villas, Grand Floridan and Riviera units are the only DVC rooms nicer than the Bonnet Creek Presidentials that you can get for the price of a STUDIO. It's the equivalent of paying an extra $1000 a month in rent to avoid an hour long commute. Of course some people value their time that high and would pay it, but most people aren't that well off for that compromise to make sense.

My personal opinion/financial advice is to not waste the money on DVC in its current state and just load up what you save into your retirement fund. I feel like more people should put everything they earn above the 12% federal tax bracket into a traditional 401k/IRA accounts, retire early, live in a state with 0 income tax and live within the 12% federal tax bracket when you are old enough to pull out your retirement funds (80k for a married couple in 2020). Wyndham is a much better system to own in during your retirement years anyways. I'm only 31 years old but that's my plan. My teaching pension is supposed to pay out half my salary once I'm 56 until the day I die. Once we own a house, I'm pumping everything into my husband's 401k and getting each of us a traditional IRA on top of that and contributing the full $31,500 on top of my pension. It grows faster than mortgage interest anyways and the funds are protected in bankruptcy.

If each spouse has their own 401k/IRA accounts, they can contribute up to $51,000 a year before their income gets taxed. Why have 22% of it taxed now when you can put it away to be taxed only 12% later? So if you're not at a point where you're set for the rest of your life, DVC is a frivolous expense that you don't need to waste money on. I've been to every resort on property. Wyndham is the most economical and if you're looking for better quality, Marriott is the next step up. DVC is "set for life" status in my frugal opinion.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
Of course tax levels might be more or less when you retire. I prefer the Roth option more. Will know in about 9 years if the tax policy favors me or should have stuck with non Roth contributions.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
If you can afford a DVC contract, then you can afford a Bali Hai or Canterbury resale Wyndham deed (lowest maintenance fees in the Wyndham system) and stay in a 2 BR presidential for the same price as a studio with a smaller buy in cost. The cabins, Grande villas, Grand Floridan and Riviera units are the only DVC rooms nicer than the Bonnet Creek Presidentials that you can get for the price of a STUDIO. It's the equivalent of paying an extra $1000 a month in rent to avoid an hour long commute. Of course some people value their time that high and would pay it, but most people aren't that well off for that compromise to make sense.

My personal opinion/financial advice is to not waste the money on DVC in its current state and just load up what you save into your retirement fund. I feel like more people should put everything they earn above the 12% federal tax bracket into a traditional 401k/IRA accounts, retire early, live in a state with 0 income tax and live within the 12% federal tax bracket when you are old enough to pull out your retirement funds (80k for a married couple in 2020). Wyndham is a much better system to own in during your retirement years anyways. I'm only 31 years old but that's my plan. My teaching pension is supposed to pay out half my salary once I'm 56 until the day I die. Once we own a house, I'm pumping everything into my husband's 401k and getting each of us a traditional IRA on top of that and contributing the full $31,500 on top of my pension. It grows faster than mortgage interest anyways and the funds are protected in bankruptcy.

If each spouse has their own 401k/IRA accounts, they can contribute up to $51,000 a year before their income gets taxed. Why have 22% of it taxed now when you can put it away to be taxed only 12% later? So if you're not at a point where you're set for the rest of your life, DVC is a frivolous expense that you don't need to waste money on. I've been to every resort on property. Wyndham is the most economical and if you're looking for better quality, Marriott is the next step up. DVC is "set for life" status in my frugal opinion.
How many Wyndham points for a 2 bedroom presidential suite? Do they have 3 bedroom suites ? I assume a Canterbury come with points?

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
You’re always on it! Thank you. My sister in law wants a DVC, but I think a Wyndham may work better. She can trade into DVC with OGS or have a 3 bedroom presidential suite. Time to search the resale listings haha
THe only problem with trading in is that you will only ever find 1BR units. I don't think DVC deposits much else, do they? Also, I guess you can use Club Wyndham points from Bonnet Creek to trade into DVC through RCI? I know they have a regional block, but read that it doesn't apply to point mini systems.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
THe only problem with trading in is that you will only ever find 1BR units. I don't think DVC deposits much else, do they? Also, I guess you can use Club Wyndham points from Bonnet Creek to trade into DVC through RCI? I know they have a regional block, but read that it doesn't apply to point mini systems.
I believe the regional block doesn’t apply with Wyndham points. The one bedroom is fine for them when trading into DVC. The 2 or 3 presidential bedroom would be ideal for staying at bonnet creek. Now I’m going to be on the hunt for a cheap Canterbury for the low maint fee

I’m trying to talk her out of buying a DVC. I even went as far as showing her condo listings in the area as a better alternative.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I believe the regional block doesn’t apply with Wyndham points. The one bedroom is fine for them when trading into DVC. The 2 or 3 presidential bedroom would be ideal for staying at bonnet creek. Now I’m going to be on the hunt for a cheap Canterbury for the low maint fee

I’m trying to talk her out of buying a DVC. I even went as far as showing her condo listings in the area as a better alternative.
The regional block doesn't apply to any points mini systems but may to RCI points for some if they have a disqualifying week in their RCI points account.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
The regional block doesn't apply to any points mini systems but may to RCI points for some if they have a disqualifying week in their RCI points account.
The Wyndham would be their only ownership. I know the point values for DVC in RCI points can range anywhere from 23,500 (sale) to 85,000 for a one bedroom. Do you know how the DVC units are valued in Wyndham points? That would help in determining how many Wyndham points she would need for DVC and/or Wyndham Bonnett Creek week.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
The Wyndham would be their only ownership. I know the point values for DVC in RCI points can range anywhere from 23,500 (sale) to 85,000 for a one bedroom. Do you know how the DVC units are valued in Wyndham points? That would help in determining how many Wyndham points she would need for DVC and/or Wyndham Bonnett Creek week.
I don't know in Wyndham points and it varies for RCI points but it's very high and it varies by resort. OKW & SSR are normally 85K RCI for a 1 BR but can be discounted at times. It looks like those units are 105K Wyndham points for a 1 Br.

TheHolleys87

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Boardwalk Villas, Kona Coast II
We love our BWV DVC for location, free transportation to parks, free parking when we have a car and (in past years) DME when we didn’t have a car. That said, all of the offsite TS we’ve stayed in were larger, had seating at the dining table for the number of people allowed to sleep in the unit, and were more upscale in finishes (updated more frequently). And of course when staying offsite, including at WBC, we don’t feel as much in the bubble and tend to eat at and visit different places besides WDW. We’ve stayed at WBC only once but enjoyed it a lot and are excited to be returning there in early March.

If we were buying TS now, I’d buy Wyndham or Marriott. DVC is too expensive unless you plan to spend most of your stay in the parks or otherwise on WDW property (water parks, mini golf, pool,etc.)