• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Durango,Co

chexchy

TUG Member
Reaction score
good evening,
We are going to Durango the thanksgiving week 2019. We got Wyndham resort. I just wonder if we need a rental car. Should we fly directly into DRO or should we fly into Denver, Phoenix or Dallas? If you have any advice or info to give us, we’ll be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Chexchy

travelhacker

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
good evening,
We are going to Durango the thanksgiving week 2019. We got Wyndham resort. I just wonder if we need a rental car. Should we fly directly into DRO or should we fly into Denver, Phoenix or Dallas? If you have any advice or info to give us, we’ll be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Chexchy

We live in Denver, and absolutely love Durango. It is a LOOONG drive from Denver...it's always taken us at least 6 hours to make the trip. Albuquerque will actually be your closest option for a major airport. If the flights aren't too expensive, you could fly directly into Durango.

Personally, I'd get a rental car. I don't know where the Wyndham is. Durango doesn't really strike me as a "walkable" town, but I've always had a car, and when we've visited the area, we've stayed at Purgatory (the ski resort) about 20 miles north.

There are a lot of good day trips from Durango like Pagosa Springs, Silverton, Mesa Verde, Ouray, and it may be a bit of a stretch, but you could check out Telluride.

Weather during that time of year is unpredictable. It could be nice (50's and 60's...or you could experience blizzard conditions). We were in Breckenridge last Thanksgiving and there was a big Snowstorm the Friday after. I-70 isn't great during that time of year, but I would never want to drive the roads in that area during a storm...except for maybe the roads between Durango and Purgatory.

Feel free to respond with any questions.

chexchy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks
I think we’ll fly into Durango directly. Hopefully, there is snow at that time. The girls are looking forward for the dog sledding and skiing. How is parking in Durango. Do you know how much is parking at the Wyndham Durango?
Thanks

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
I would be very surprised if there was any charge for parking there. Yes, definitely get a car and definitely fly into Durango if you can, as it is a very long drive from anywhere else. Skiing will greatly depend on how early the snows come this year; I wouldn't count on it for Thanksgiving. Mesa Verde would be my top day trip from Durango.

Kurt

travelhacker

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
This website shows historical opening days. Below is the link for Purgatory (probably 20 miles north of Durango):
https://www.snowpak.com/colorado/purgatory/opening-dates

I'd say there are pretty good odds that there will at least be some terrain open.

Keep in mind these are just opening days...most ski resorts will open just a run or two with a single lift and open a lift or two a week until they are fully open (most resorts do their absolute best to get the entire resort open by Christmas, but sometimes Mother Nature just doesn't cooperate).