• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Duped again :-( No change when talked into upgrading to HGVMAX

athea

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Diamond Resorts International
I married into this timeshare. My husband started with Monarch Grand Vacations, then upgraded to Diamond, then he was convinced in order to maximize benefits we needed to upgrade again. When Hilton purchased we again were led to believe we would miss being able to book great locations unless we joined / grandfathered into HGVMax (more thousands of dollars). In front of the sales staff I told them how many more times do we have to 'upgrade'? What are we really getting? Again we were told you will have so many more opportunities in our entire portfolio of locations. So here we are and I am trying to book up to a year in advance with no changes that I can see after being taken for another ride by Hilton/timeshare companies. Same trouble booking and not seeing new locations. I know it is our own fault for falling for this again. I tell all of my family and friends the most foolish 'investment' is a timeshare. Hopefully someday I can convince my husband we need to just let this go and save 8k a year in 'maintenance' fees.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
As a DRI Owner you can Book into your Home Collection 13 months in advance. You can Book into all other DRI Collections 10 months in advance. HGVMAX gives you access to I believe all or most HGVC Resorts but only 6 months in advance.

We really enjoy our timeshares - Worldmark, DRI (our Home Collection is Cabo Azul), and Royal Solaris. It takes work to really understand your timeshare and to learn how to use it to your advantage.

Most DRI Members we know are refusing to join MAX. We do not see any benefits worth the amount of money they are demanding.

How can you tell when a timeshare sales person is lying? Their lips are moving. The timeshare sales person's goal is not to help you understand and use your timeshare. Their goal is to separate you from as much money as possible.

Last edited:

Tamaradarann

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
I married into this timeshare. My husband started with Monarch Grand Vacations, then upgraded to Diamond, then he was convinced in order to maximize benefits we needed to upgrade again. When Hilton purchased we again were led to believe we would miss being able to book great locations unless we joined / grandfathered into HGVMax (more thousands of dollars). In front of the sales staff I told them how many more times do we have to 'upgrade'? What are we really getting? Again we were told you will have so many more opportunities in our entire portfolio of locations. So here we are and I am trying to book up to a year in advance with no changes that I can see after being taken for another ride by Hilton/timeshare companies. Same trouble booking and not seeing new locations. I know it is our own fault for falling for this again. I tell all of my family and friends the most foolish 'investment' is a timeshare. Hopefully someday I can convince my husband we need to just let this go and save 8k a year in 'maintenance' fees.
"So here we are and I am trying to book up to a year in advance with no changes that I can see after being taken for another ride by Hilton/timeshare companies." I believe the geist1223 has nicely described what the rules are for HGVMax; As a DRI Owner you can Book into your Home Collection 13 months in advance. You can Book into all other DRI Collections 10 months in advance. HGVMAX gives you access to I believe all or most HGVC Resorts but only 6 months in advance.

You can now book HGVC Resorts with you new status but only at 6 months in advance not a year.

Janann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC on the Boulevard, Las Vegas;
Disney's Saratoga Springs
Why not trade into RCI? You'll pay an exchange fee, but it is better than not using the points.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
Why not trade into RCI? You'll pay an exchange fee, but it is better than not using the points.

I agree that trading into RCI is better that not using the points, but if the system is working as it has been described athea should be able to reserve some vacations at 6 months out at nice HGVC resorts. I am not sure where she is looking to go but I am sure that there are some units on the Island of Hawaii and Las Vegas that are available at 6 months.

athea

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Diamond Resorts International
Thank you for responding / help. To be more clear, since foolishly upgrading to HVGMax, we only see less options, not more. There are luxury homes that come up now but a lot cost 50k points and up per week and we only have 40k points per year. We were recently in Whistler Canada and the Hilton Grand Vacation Club looks beautiful but I don't think we get options to use our points there. I believe HgvMax is not the same as being a Hilton Grand Vacation HGVC member. This is one of the points I brought up to the sales people and again, we were misled into thinking we could book using our points at Hilton Grand Vacation Club venues like the one in Whistler, Canada.

NachoDaddy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Powhatan Plantation
As a DRI Owner you can Book into your Home Collection 13 months in advance. You can Book into all other DRI Collections 10 months in advance. HGVMAX gives you access to I believe all or most HGVC Resorts but only 6 months in advance.

We really enjoy our timeshares - Worldmark, DRI (our Home Collection is Cabo Azul), and Royal Solaris. It takes work to really understand your timeshare and to learn how to use it to your advantage.

Most DRI Members we know are refusing to join MAX. We do not see any benefits worth the amount of money they are demanding.

How can you tell when a timeshare sales person is lying? Their lips are moving. The timeshare sales person's goal is not to help you understand and use your timeshare. Their goal is to separate you from as much money as possible.
14/11 months if you are Platinum or Centum.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thank you for responding / help. To be more clear, since foolishly upgrading to HVGMax, we only see less options, not more. There are luxury homes that come up now but a lot cost 50k points and up per week and we only have 40k points per year. We were recently in Whistler Canada and the Hilton Grand Vacation Club looks beautiful but I don't think we get options to use our points there. I believe HgvMax is not the same as being a Hilton Grand Vacation HGVC member. This is one of the points I brought up to the sales people and again, we were misled into thinking we could book using our points at Hilton Grand Vacation Club venues like the one in Whistler, Canada.

I don't believe that the Whistler Canada is a HGVC resort. Perhaps you are still trying to do things that are not possible instead of what is possible. HGVC is heavily into resorts in Hawaii, Las Vegas, Orlando and New York City. New York city I believe has only a 45 day reservation window for non owners of those resorts. They do have resorts in Miami South Beach, Washington DC, Chicargo, Colorado, Utah, California and other areas of Florida which are more difficult to get into do to availabilty. They have some resorts in other countries such as: Scotland, Italy, Portugal and Japan but also are more difficult to get into do to availability. Try some of these and let us know.

GT75

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
I don't believe that the Whistler Canada is a HGVC resort.
Most of the Embarc/CI resorts (including Whistler) are rebranded as HGVC. But that doesn't mean that Legacy HGVC members will be able to book there nor Embarc HGVC won't be able to book Legacy HGVC resorts. This thread should provide more insight. Basically, they will be part of HGVMax but only if Embarc members join Max (per the comments, don't expect many to do that).

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Most of the Embarc/CI resorts (including Whistler) are rebranded as HGVC. But that doesn't mean that Legacy HGVC members will be able to book there nor Embarc HGVC won't be able to book Legacy HGVC resorts. This thread should provide more insight. Basically, they will be part of HGVMax but only if Embarc members join Max (per the comments, don't expect many to do that).

I am a HGVC member. I went on the HGVC website and there are no Canadian Resorts listed. I can't see what HGVMax can do in Canada. However, my point was that what I understand is the advantage of Diamond Resort Members joining HGVMax was that they can now book HGVC Resorts at 6 months out. I listed the locations of HGVC resorts in a previous post. Athea should try to book those resorts to see the advantage of joining HGVMax.

By the way I left out two other locations: South Carolina and Mexico that HGVC has availability.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
IMO unlike the 9 month club rules where every HGVC location is open to any member with points, Max appears to rely on owners giving up their home weeks and cross booking. There is also developer owned weeks, but Hilton may push those into their cash booking on Hilton dot com. We have seen inventory manipulation before with Hilton Head weeks, who know what goes on behind the front end we see for reservations.

Until Max gets more members OP is not likely to see much available.

Last edited:

smaccrac

TUG Member
Reaction score
Fell for the same story. On the HGVMax website there is a listing of the HGV properties that we can use. We haven't tried booking resorts except our home resort on Kaanapali 13 months out. Understand the others that we are allowed to book has a 6 month booking window. Will have to try sometime.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
IMO unlike the 9 month club rules where every HGVC location is open to any member with points, Max appears to rely on owners giving up their home weeks and cross booking. There is also developer owned weeks, but Hilton may push those into their cash booking on Hilton dot com. We have seen inventory manipulation before with Hilton Head weeks, who know what goes on behind the front end we see for reservations.

Until Max gets more members OP is not likely to see much available.
If what you are saying about Max members giving up their home weeks and cross booking then HGV/Max is just another version of RCI, not a 6 month access version of HGVC. That is NOT what has been presented as what HGV/Max is. Perhaps others that have made the conversion from Diamond to HGV/Max can chime in with their experience.

Sherrica

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Polo Towers & US Collection
Athea I feel your pain. It happened to us too. Don’t be so hard on yourself. There’s a learning curve and that means learning what the TRUTH is and not what we were told when they wanted us to buy something.

We have used our timeshare and it was a good deal for us for many years, we enjoyed our vacations but eventually we too were convinced to buy additional points (separate from our deed) in order to “be able to trade”. I honestly don’t know if that was true or not or if we effectively doubled our MF per year for the luxury of 3K more points (that we didn’t really need since we didn’t have that much vacation time available at that time). We paid the price and continued to travel, but it’s not something I would continue to recommend. Then we got duped again in November.

In between we somehow managed to say no at several other presentations (if you have managed to say no other times, try to give yourself credit for that).

Regarding the rebranding of some select resorts – note that they are “Hilton Vacation Club” or HVC and NOT HGVC. There’s even a box you have to click when you book one acknowledging that it’s NOT a Hilton property that you’re visiting (thus it’s not going to be that great). It’s fine. I’m not that fancy, I know what the property is going to be like. I guess the HGVC owners might be shocked at the lack of luxury we have all put up with all these years! I’m curious about their MFs… maybe I’m doing ok after all?

We were told that at our point level we can book 10 months out for resorts in our collection (including resorts previously owned by Diamond) and HGVC at 6 months out. However, if you deposit into DEX supposedly you can book 2 years out. I say, start looking at 12 months out and look every month after that. Only deeded Hilton owners have access to RCI is what we were told (and we are to use DEX). I have yet to see any true Hilton properties pop up – Except for Honolulu. There seems to be a fair amount of availability there (but I’m not sure if they have kitchens or not). But I’m probably not looking at the same area as you.

There may be a philosophical difference between the Diamond owners and the HGVC owners. Friends of ours bought into HGVC to go to one particular resort every year and they are perfectly happy with that. WE were sold on the idea of Interval International from the get-go – the ability to trade and go to all of these different properties (ah, the book was like the Sears catalog of vacationing… but I digress). We have stayed at our home resort a handful of times, but the vast majority has been at other places.

NachoDaddy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Powhatan Plantation
Athea I feel your pain. It happened to us too. Don’t be so hard on yourself. There’s a learning curve and that means learning what the TRUTH is and not what we were told when they wanted us to buy something.

We have used our timeshare and it was a good deal for us for many years, we enjoyed our vacations but eventually we too were convinced to buy additional points (separate from our deed) in order to “be able to trade”. I honestly don’t know if that was true or not or if we effectively doubled our MF per year for the luxury of 3K more points (that we didn’t really need since we didn’t have that much vacation time available at that time). We paid the price and continued to travel, but it’s not something I would continue to recommend. Then we got duped again in November.

In between we somehow managed to say no at several other presentations (if you have managed to say no other times, try to give yourself credit for that).

Regarding the rebranding of some select resorts – note that they are “Hilton Vacation Club” or HVC and NOT HGVC. There’s even a box you have to click when you book one acknowledging that it’s NOT a Hilton property that you’re visiting (thus it’s not going to be that great). It’s fine. I’m not that fancy, I know what the property is going to be like. I guess the HGVC owners might be shocked at the lack of luxury we have all put up with all these years! I’m curious about their MFs… maybe I’m doing ok after all?

We were told that at our point level we can book 10 months out for resorts in our collection (including resorts previously owned by Diamond) and HGVC at 6 months out. However, if you deposit into DEX supposedly you can book 2 years out. I say, start looking at 12 months out and look every month after that. Only deeded Hilton owners have access to RCI is what we were told (and we are to use DEX). I have yet to see any true Hilton properties pop up – Except for Honolulu. There seems to be a fair amount of availability there (but I’m not sure if they have kitchens or not). But I’m probably not looking at the same area as you.

There may be a philosophical difference between the Diamond owners and the HGVC owners. Friends of ours bought into HGVC to go to one particular resort every year and they are perfectly happy with that. WE were sold on the idea of Interval International from the get-go – the ability to trade and go to all of these different properties (ah, the book was like the Sears catalog of vacationing… but I digress). We have stayed at our home resort a handful of times, but the vast majority has been at other places.
Assuming you are a Diamond owner, you have 13 month booking window in collection and a 10 month booking window for out of collection resorts.

Sherrica

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
NachoDaddy Perhaps that's true, it's just not what I was told. I wrote down what he said to me. 13 months was at our home resort. 10 months in the collection and 6 months in everything else.

Thank you!

NachoDaddy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Powhatan Plantation
NachoDaddy Perhaps that's true, it's just not what I was told. I wrote down what he said to me. 13 months was at our home resort. 10 months in the collection and 6 months in everything else.

Thank you!
Point owners have no home resort. We have home collections. So if your points are in say the US Collection, you have a 13 month window for all resorts in the US Collection, 10 months for all other Legacy Collections (Hawaii, Latino, European), and only a 6 month window to book HGVC resorts (as an MHGV Max point owner).

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I think the issue that needs to be settled in this thread is the ability of booking HGV/Max members to book HGVC resorts. My understanding from the begining was that HGV/Max members could book the available HGVC resort collection at 6 months, (except NYC which has a short Club Season). Others have said something about the availability being subject to deposits of HGV/Max members. That makes a big difference but without that issue being cleared up any discussion about what Athea said about being duped is ridiculous. If the former is true we can discuss ways to book the HGVC resorts. If the later is true I will be the first to agree with Athea that they were duped!

I highlighted what Sherrica said in bold since I am a HGVC owner and have booked many HGVC resorts including Honolulu many times and yes Sherrica the HGVC resort all have kitchens. The one bedrooms and above have full kitchens the studios have a mini kitchen with a sink, microwave, toaster, mini refrigerator, and small table.

NachoDaddy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Powhatan Plantation
I think the issue that needs to be settled in this thread is the ability of booking HGV/Max members to book HGVC resorts. My understanding from the begining was that HGV/Max members could book the available HGVC resort collection at 6 months, (except NYC which has a short Club Season). Others have said something about the availability being subject to deposits of HGV/Max members. That makes a big difference but without that issue being cleared up any discussion about what Athea said about being duped is ridiculous. If the former is true we can discuss ways to book the HGVC resorts. If the later is true I will be the first to agree with Athea that they were duped!

I highlighted what Sherrica said in bold since I am a HGVC owner and have booked many HGVC resorts including Honolulu many times and yes Sherrica the HGVC resort all have kitchens. The one bedrooms and above have full kitchens the studios have a mini kitchen with a sink, microwave, toaster, mini refrigerator, and small table.
Obviously no one is going to know how many owners at a particular HGVC resort decide to actually go to their resort in a given year. So one year, an HGVC resort may have plenty of availability 6 months out because a lot of the owners there decided to go somewhere else. The next year many of those owners decided to use what they own and there may not be much inventory left for someone to exchange into at the 6 month point. If there is any availability, then no one was duped. If there is little availability, it's still available for the early worms who get up at 2 in the morning on the first day of the 6 month booking window. And just like in Diamond, some resorts will always be harder to get into due to small size or popularity, especially in certain months (Feb @ KBC (Maui) comes to mind or a 2 bdrm unit at the KBC where there are very few of those types of units to begin with).

To flip it around since you are an HGVC owner, getting into Mystic Dunes or Powhatan or Suites @ Fall Creek should be easy peasy at the 6 month point. On the other, I highly doubt you will ever find a unit at the Charter Club (Naples) as it only has 33 units to begin with or Crescent Beach (South Beach, also very small). Diamond point owners have a hard time getting in there at 9-10 months out, much less 6 months out.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Obviously no one is going to know how many owners at a particular HGVC resort decide to actually go to their resort in a given year. So one year, an HGVC resort may have plenty of availability 6 months out because a lot of the owners there decided to go somewhere else. The next year many of those owners decided to use what they own and there may not be much inventory left for someone to exchange into at the 6 month point. If there is any availability, then no one was duped. If there is little availability, it's still available for the early worms who get up at 2 in the morning on the first day of the 6 month booking window. And just like in Diamond, some resorts will always be harder to get into due to small size or popularity, especially in certain months (Feb @ KBC (Maui) comes to mind or a 2 bdrm unit at the KBC where there are very few of those types of units to begin with).

To flip it around since you are an HGVC owner, getting into Mystic Dunes or Powhatan or Suites @ Fall Creek should be easy peasy at the 6 month point. On the other, I highly doubt you will ever find a unit at the Charter Club (Naples) as it only has 33 units to begin with or Crescent Beach (South Beach, also very small). Diamond point owners have a hard time getting in there at 9-10 months out, much less 6 months out.
What I was mainly responding to was athea's comment about being duped and not seeing any HGVC inventory, and Sherrica's comment seeing only inventory in Honolulu. I know enough about the HGVC system that at six months out those both have to be false. I guarantee that at six months out there is availability in Orlando, Las Vegas, and the Island of Hawaii. There are so many HGVC resorts in those locations that some of them will have availability. However, if in fact the HGVC inventory is subject to HGV/Max owners depositing their week then that is a different story.

It is interesting that you mention the Cresent Beach Resort. While we have never stayed there we have visited it and own and have stayed right next door at the HGVC McAlpin/Ocean Plaza Buildings a number of times. Great Location in South Beach and I agree that they are difficult resorts to get into at 9-10 months out.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

I just thought of something when reading another thread on TUG. Could it be that Athea and Sherrica are looking to book weeks 51 and 52 which are EVENT WEEKS at some HGVC resorts. That is Christmas and New Years weeks. If you don't actually own those weeks it is almost impossible for even an HGVC member to book those weeks.

NachoDaddy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Powhatan Plantation
What I was mainly responding to was athea's comment about being duped and not seeing any HGVC inventory, and Sherrica's comment seeing only inventory in Honolulu. I know enough about the HGVC system that at six months out those both have to be false. I guarantee that at six months out there is availability in Orlando, Las Vegas, and the Island of Hawaii. There are so many HGVC resorts in those locations that some of them will have availability. However, if in fact the HGVC inventory is subject to HGV/Max owners depositing their week then that is a different story.

It is interesting that you mention the Cresent Beach Resort. While we have never stayed there we have visited it and own and have stayed right next door at the HGVC McAlpin/Ocean Plaza Buildings a number of times. Great Location in South Beach and I agree that they are difficult resorts to get into at 9-10 months out.
Since HGV Max accesses inventory from the point side, no one on the Diamond side has to deposit a week to make it available to anyone else. Week owners at Diamond have to utilize DEX or II or RCI so those weeks should not be available to HGV Max owners via Max points. I would assume, since HGVC is week based, that floating weeks in HGVC would be available at any time but fixed weeks at HGVC would have to wait until deposited by the owner to be available. Also, to note, not all Diamond resorts are available to HGVC owners as of yet (via Max) and therefore I would expect the same of some HGVC resorts not being available yet. And some (W57 comes to mind) may never be available.

As for the Crescent Beach resort, while the location is fantastic, the actually resort is meh, at best. During my stay there, it reminded me of base housing when I was in the military.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Since HGV Max accesses inventory from the point side, no one on the Diamond side has to deposit a week to make it available to anyone else. Week owners at Diamond have to utilize DEX or II or RCI so those weeks should not be available to HGV Max owners via Max points. I would assume, since HGVC is week based, that floating weeks in HGVC would be available at any time but fixed weeks at HGVC would have to wait until deposited by the owner to be available. Also, to note, not all Diamond resorts are available to HGVC owners as of yet (via Max) and therefore I would expect the same of some HGVC resorts not being available yet. And some (W57 comes to mind) may never be available.

As for the Crescent Beach resort, while the location is fantastic, the actually resort is meh, at best. During my stay there, it reminded me of base housing when I was in the military.
I believe that is a great explanation of why some people are experiencing poor availability with HGV/Max. Since I am an HGVC owner and HGVC is a points system I couldn't figure out why people had to go to DEX or II or RCI to book other resorts. HGVC has very few fixed weeks; they are mainly a few event weeks at certain resorts. Therefore, Diamond owners buying into HGV/Max who are not points owners have a huge problem in getting the benefits of the HGVC system since they are burdened with the depositing their week and seeing availabiity of the deposited weeks of others! I don't know if others realize that the problem is not HGV/Max it is their ownership in Diamond that is the restriction on the availability they see.

I agree that the Crescent Beach Resort building is not elaborate. It is one of the three 1940's historic Art Deco buildings that are next to each other in Miami South Beach. The other 2 are the HGVC that we own. You go to this resort for the location and, when we went there, the party.

Sherrica

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Point owners have no home resort. We have home collections. So if your points are in say the US Collection, you have a 13 month window for all resorts in the US Collection, 10 months for all other Legacy Collections (Hawaii, Latino, European), and only a 6 month window to book HGVC resorts (as an MHGV Max point owner).

Thank you -- I'll clarify -- I have both a home resort (Polo Towers) and points in the US collection. And when I said I only SAW Honolulu I'm just expressing what I actually saw available to book. I did not search every location. And I have looked at multiple weeks, but definitely not week 51 & 52.