• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

DSV I vs. DSV II vs. Shadow Ridge Enclaves

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
All,

For miscellaneous (non-serious) reasons, it looks like I have to cancel my Aruba trip in Feb 2012 :)( ). Bummer because I was really looking forward to my first trip to Aruba Ocean Club. Perhaps 2013 or 2014!!

However, I am determined to still get a break-away with my beautiful wife, but it means I need to stay local, expecting Palm Desert.

So.....soliciting opinions on the best location for just DW and me. I've been to Shadow Ridge many times, and view it as a great family spot, but leaning slightly towards a DSV (or Enclaves) for a 5-ish day get-away.

I'll be using a MRP 5-day travel package for the stay, and currently holding 5 days at DSV 1.

I would appreciate any perspective on the following:

1) Quality of the property pools -- not liking kidney/apartment pools
2) Proximity to golf courses (and golf lessons, since I can't break 100)
3) Spa/massage proximity
4) Tennis courts
5) Walking distance to hotel with late night piano bar (but not dancing bar)

Please advise, since that looks like my 2012 Q1 getaway....thanks very much!

Greg

Last edited:

MabelP

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I own at Desert Springs II but always traded into Desert Springs Villas because of the Spa privileges. Then they took the hotel privileges away. I've read on TUG that the hotel privileges start again on January 1st. If that is the case, everything you are looking for is at the Desert Springs Villas.

I cannot speak for the Enclaves. My first visit will be in March.

NWL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Here's my short answer....

...because it's bedtime where I am. :) Stay at Desert Springs and take your lessons at Shadow Ridge. Shadow Ridge has the Faldo golf school. They also have clinics Monday through Friday at 4pm. Each day focuses on at different part of the game. When you feel comfortable with your game, you'll have 2 courses at DS and 1 at SR to use.

Spa at DS, tennis at both, best restaurant selection at DS, but SR does have 1. Both resorts are just a hop, skip and a jump away from each other, but unfortunately, no shuttle from one resort to the other.

Cheers!

mjm1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Greg, sorry to hear that your trip to Aruba has to be canceled. We stayed at the Ocean Club last year and really enjoyed it.

We will be staying at Desert Springs I next week with our kids. It has been quite a while since we last stayed there, so are looking forward to it. Your trip is in February, so you have access to the hotel pool, spa, tennis courts, etc. since the contract was renewed effective Jan. 1. We miss it by a week.

The units in Villas I are bigger, but that probably doesn't matter since it will be just the two of you. The main Villas I pool has been upgraded some, but I don't know if it compares to the pool at the Enclaves. Never stayed at the Enclaves, but I did visit and they are certainly modern and open.

Others who have stayed at both will have better commentary. Either way, I am sure you will have a great time.

Mike

wvacations

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi Greg,

I have stayed at all 3 and like each for different reasons. I enjoy Enclaves as I feel it has the best pool. Very large and with only 3 buildings complete, not too crowded. They also have great cabanas on first come first serve basis. The cabanas have electricity and ceiling fans. All rooms very close to pool. I agree on the golf lessons at Shadow Ridge, but prefer the courses better at Desert Springs. Only restaurant/bar at Enclaves is at the club house of the golf course. I don't ever remember any entertainment.

DSV I are by far the largest villas while Enclaves are the smallest. No soaking tub at Enclaves either. Both DSV I and II provide a shuttle to the JW where you may find a piano bar but not sure about that. Main pool at DSV II is quite large at has a pool side bar, but the hours of operation are speratic.

You will enjoy any of them for a nice relaxing week. I prefer Enclaves.