• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

DSV - Buy or buy trader?

Mark G

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks in advance for any input - I've researched this and can't decide. We want to go to DSV (either one) for two weeks each year in the first half of November. We want at least a 1br but the 2 would be nice. We're torn between two options:

Buy a white week direct. Book direct, don't join II. Split the week and spend one in a 1br and the second in the studio. Simple, easy, no II fees or hassle. Or,

Buy a decent trader. Vegas or or Branson. Lock off the week, deposit to II, and hopefully get two weeks in a 2br.

A third option is buy the week week at DSV, but still join II and lock off the week and try to trade the studio for at least a 1br.

I'm not trying to be cheap and save $50 a year, but looking to maximize value but minimize hassle.

Thanks!

Mark G

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
If you are in Interval, you can get November weeks as Getaways for a few hundred dollars each.

10spro

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott DSV-I (x3)
Marriott DC Points
Westin WKORV OFD
DSV White is an excellent trader, even if you trade back into DSV, as long as you don't need to be there Jan-Mar, you'll get 1BR or 2BR no problem. We split our 1 week into 2 weeks and go to Hawaii every year.

ACE1

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I would buy DSV, follow the rule buy where you want to go. I would also buy 2 bedrooms and high season. We used to go in October but now prefer Spring. We bought at WestinDesert Willow but wish we had bought at DSV for priority and that is where we prefer to stay. Hindsight is 20/20.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BJRSanDiego

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
I own 2-1/2 weeks at DSV I/II and 1 week at Shadow Ridge Enclaves (Deluxe).

I have ALWAYS split the unit, deposited it into ii, and then traded it - - often times back to DSV1, 2 or SR. We almost always stay in a 2 BR exchange paying the $59 per unit upgrade (we're Platinum in ii). So my cost for 2 weeks in DSV2 is about $1500 MF, plus $90 Marriott Split fee, plus $154 x 2 exchanges plus 3 unit upgrades ($177). Or a total of about $1800. So, about $130 a night (14 nights) in a 2 BR unit. That's about $300 more than the basic MF. But when I think that I'm getting two weeks in 2 BR units where the underlying MF is 2 x $1500 or so. That is actually a pretty good deal.

I own both white and red weeks. I reserve thanksgiving for the white weeks (TDI=125). The red weeks can get a TDI of 150 and trade slightly better. But as others have said, November in DSV or SR is a pretty easy trade. If I was planning on staying in the units that I own in November rather than trade, then I'd buy "white". Some are going for under $500 some less, occasionally free or $1. If I wanted to trade into places like Hawaii and other harder-to-book locations, then I'd buy Red/Platinum. For myself, if I were to do it again, I'd spend a little more and buy all Red or Platinum. The MF is the same, they trade slightly better and they are going to be easier to sell/dispose of down the line.

The DSV1 MF is about $150 a year more than DSV2 and SR.

Last edited:

BJRSanDiego

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
BTW, I think that November is the best time of year to be in Palm Desert. Typically very good weather. Not to hot and not too cold. Great for hiking, dining, shopping, swimming, etc.

10spro

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott DSV-I (x3)
Marriott DC Points
Westin WKORV OFD
I own 2-1/2 weeks at DSV I/II and 1 week at Shadow Ridge Enclaves (Deluxe).

I have ALWAYS split the unit, deposited it into ii, and then traded it - - often times back to DSV1, 2 or SR. We almost always stay in a 2 BR exchange paying the $59 per unit upgrade (we're Platinum in ii). So my cost for 2 weeks in DSV2 is about $1500 MF, plus $90 Marriott Split fee, plus $154 x 2 exchanges plus 3 unit upgrades ($177). Or a total of about $1800. So, $160 a night in a 2 BR unit. That's about $300 more than the basic MF. But when I think that I'm getting two weeks in 2 BR units where the underlying MF is 2 x $1500 or so. That is actually a pretty good deal.

I own both white and red weeks. I reserve thanksgiving for the white weeks (TDI=125). The red weeks can get a TDI of 150 and trade slightly better. But as others have said, November in DSV or SR is a pretty easy trade. If I was planning on staying in the units that I own in November rather than trade, then I'd buy "white". Some are going for under $500 some less, occasionally free or $1. If I wanted to trade into places like Hawaii and other harder-to-book locations, then I'd buy Red/Platinum. For myself, if I were to do it again, I'd spend a little more and buy all Red or Platinum. The MF is the same, they trade slightly better and they are going to be easier to sell/dispose of down the line.

The DSV1 MF is about $150 a year more than DSV2 and SR.
I stole my second White week earlier this year for $200. There are deals out there to be had. DSV-I has no ROFR.

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
I went w/ Plat for both of ours. DSVI Annual and Shadow Ridge EOYE. Since we already own Vistana and have SOs, we don’t need for Hawaii. Our focus is to stay in the Desert for school holidays.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks in advance for any input - I've researched this and can't decide. We want to go to DSV (either one) for two weeks each year in the first half of November. We want at least a 1br but the 2 would be nice. We're torn between two options:

Buy a white week direct. Book direct, don't join II. Split the week and spend one in a 1br and the second in the studio. Simple, easy, no II fees or hassle. Or,

Buy a decent trader. Vegas or or Branson. Lock off the week, deposit to II, and hopefully get two weeks in a 2br.

A third option is buy the week week at DSV, but still join II and lock off the week and try to trade the studio for at least a 1br.

I'm not trying to be cheap and save $50 a year, but looking to maximize value but minimize hassle.

Thanks!

Mark G
Lot's of good choices to accomplish your goal IMO. I do think you're going to need to join II to get your best options either way. Here are some of the purchase options I see.
  1. One white/Gold week, lockout and change rooms with one week in a studio without joining II.
  2. One white/Gold week, lockout and trade back in through II for a second 1 BR.
  3. Buy 2 white/Gold weeks and either have two weeks in a 2 BR or 2 weeks in a 1 BR and exchange the studios.
  4. Buy an exchange option and trade in for 2 weeks with one lockout paying the exchange and upgrade fees.
  5. Buy a LV 3BR and exchange will cut down on exchange upgrade fees by $300/yr assuming two 2 BR but will have higher maintenance fees.
There are other variations. Other considerations would be whether you would try to trade for other things at times, maybe enroll later or want to sell later. I'd also look at the overall costs including the maintenance fees esp since there's quite a variation in yearly fees between the resorts in question. In today's environment you might find something higher than a traditional trader that's worth the extra fees or a modestly higher price like desert Platinum/Red, Ocean Pointe Gold/Platinum, etc. Assuming no fire sale purchase options and traditional pricing differences, I'd probably look at Branson Platinum (cheapest fees, trades fairly well, not too difficult to reserve) as number one and LV as #2 for this situation. If you might enroll later I would not buy Branson though. You might let a great deal make the final decision. Just don't lose track of the added costs that higher fee resort and exchanging generates. For example, if you buy one resort and exchange to two 2BR/yr then you're looking at a yearly cost of around $750/yr above maintenance fees (II, lockout fees, exchange fee and unit upgrade fees).

If you might exchange more than these 2 weeks I might look at two 2BR units for exchange that could be reserved under the 13 month rule then exchange the studios for DSV and have the 1 BR to exchange for other options.

GetawaysRus

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Desert Springs Villas 2
Marriott Grand Chateau
Some commenters in this thread are talking about purchasing 2 resale weeks. Although you might decide to ultimately do that if you are enjoying an initial purchase, I see no rush. I don't think that the price of resale timeshares will be moving up, so you're not going to "miss the boat." The timeshare market isn't anything like the housing market.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
I would buy DSV, follow the rule buy where you want to go. I would also buy 2 bedrooms and high season. We used to go in October but now prefer Spring. We bought at WestinDesert Willow but wish we had bought at DSV for priority and that is where we prefer to stay. Hindsight is 20/20.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I agree with ACE1, buy DSV if that is your primary use, but buy white as that's when you want to go. Not much if any drop off trading red vs white DSV.

You could almost always trade each half back to 2BR DSV in early November.

turkel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Grand Chateau
I own at Shadow Ridge and Grand Chateau I really liked the above idea of buying a 3 bedroom at GC and trading in with no upgrade fee. You get platinum weeks for trade value, only have to purchase 1 timeshare and keep your upgrade fees to a minimum. Still getting 2 weeks of use.