• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

ds's bike stolen

chellej

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
:mad: My DS is away at college and rides his bike to campus every day. This morning while he was in class, someone cut the chain and stole his bike.

I am so disappointed in people and how nasty they can be. I am just amazed also how brazen - broad daylight with lots of people around.

$400 is a big hit for a poor college kid - foretuntely his renter insurance will cover some of it.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Something similar happened to my daughter at her college recently. Someone pulled her (new) bike out of the rack and threw it on the ground and maybe tried to break the chain or lock. It jammed the lock so badly that she couldn't unlock it and had to ask maintenance to cut the chain with bolt cutters. Her new bike was also scratched and slightly bent. Very annoying. The odd thing is that it happened in a high traffic area.

LisaH

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that. Thank God I only bought my son a cheapo bike for college, knowing that very likely it won't last long.

UWSurfer

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
When one of the local colleges had a rash of bike thefts last year, a college cop was quoted in the article that students should ride cheaper bikes. YET, when a nice car was stolen from the campus parking lots, there were bulletins posted, news coverage and not a suggestion the student should drive a cheaper car.

It drives me nuts. A few places here in California and other bike friendly places are setting up bike valets...essentially a coat check for bikes. It's simple, cheap and easy to do, and colleges are well positioned to do it. Yet getting officials at schools who are struggling for funding to do it is very challanging. Still, it's maddenly simple.

Check out this article in TIME on the subject. http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,1625309,00.html

DonM

TUG Member
Reaction score
:mad: My DS is away at college and rides his bike to campus every day. This morning while he was in class, someone cut the chain and stole his bike.

Was the campus a secure campus?- By that I mean is it a campus that is accessable to the public or can just the student body be on campus?

If it's the latter you'd have a better chance or recovery, and if it's the former then maybe a cheaper bike +/or a better lock is the answer.

I'm thinking soon that people will be able to put inexpensive gps tracking devices that are concealed on items that are expensive and easily stolen.

swift

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
When my son's bike was stolen the campus police told us that the best lock was the U-lock and if possible undue the front wheel and lock it with the back wheel like this http://www.missinglink.org/Pages/bike_locking.html . He told us that since many seats just pop off it is best to keep that with you. Sorry to hear about the bike I know I was very angry.

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
While I was in college my friend's nice expensive bike was stolen from inside the landing at my townhouse. It was during the afternoon when a bunch of people were around and the screen door was open and unlocked. Since it was in my house my insurance covered the loss. My friend got a new bike. About 6 months later, he noticed his old bike on campus. He put his lock on the bike and headed out to call the police. Well the "NEW" owner of the bike called campus police that someone had put a lock on "HIS" bike. Well he was a little surprised to find the police arrive at this bike while he was waiting for campus police to show up.

Since my friend had all the documents to prove it was his and this person who bought it from a friend for cheap had no documentation, and the serial number was still visible the police got the bike, charged the "new" owner with possesion of stolen property. So in the end my friend got his original bike back, plus the new bike. Called insurance and they just said congrats I guess you have 2 bikes now.

mshatty

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
At Univ. of Texas parent and freshman student orientation they have a special session on bike theft in Austin. It is one of the highest bike theft locals in the country. They go through the various types of bike locks, demonstrate how easy each can be unlock with pens and other everyday student objects. They do have a lock they recommend for students, not because it can't be unlocked or broken, but that it takes the most time to do so.

Also, a bad problem in Austin is that bike seats are stolen. So the students have to buy a special lock for securing their seats.

It's not worth buying any bike for any college campus that you pay more than $25 off craigslist.

dmharris

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is a symptom of a much bigger problem

When I was in college, as a baby boomer, theft on a large state college campus was rare. Though we were "rebellious" we had a sense of right and wrong. Our country has gotten way far from the idea that there are absolute rights and absolute wrongs. People are not held accountable for their actions and blame others. And it comes down to the parents wanting to be their children's friend instead of their parent. Big difference. Lack of discipline in the home, extended to the school, has caused this country grave problems. Lack of integrity in business, prisons over crowded; I could go on and on.

My 2 cents.

pjrose

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
When I was in college, as a baby boomer, theft on a large state college campus was rare. Though we were "rebellious" we had a sense of right and wrong. Our country has gotten way far from the idea that there are absolute rights and absolute wrongs. People are not held accountable for their actions and blame others. And it comes down to the parents wanting to be their children's friend instead of their parent. Big difference. Lack of discipline in the home, extended to the school, has caused this country grave problems. Lack of integrity in business, prisons over crowded; I could go on and on.

My 2 cents.

And mine as well, except maybe for the parents being friends part. I'd instead say it may come down to parents not being as authoritative and giving in too much or not caring, and definitely the media. Too much deviant behavior is presented as "entertainment" - Jerry Springer, PG 13 movies that embarrass me, violent video games, MTV.......

I am not at all conservative, but basic morals and values are essential to a cooperative society. Obviously not everyone will agree on what is a basic moral or value, but certainly stealing, lying, and violence should be there at a minimum.