• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

driving to chitza nitza for the night

ssally

Reaction score
:) :) hello...has anyone done this drive? we were thinking about spending one night at mayaland.Any advise on stops to see along the way?Is there any special tour guides we could contact??thanks sally

Fern Modena

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
No driving information, but some spelling and pronunciation help.

Chichen Itza, pronounced CHEE'chin EAT'sa.

Hope that helps.

Fern

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I can attest that a night at Mayaland is very cool. The grounds, the cottage with thatched roof yet all modern amenities, the food isn't bad either. The lobby door looks out at the observatory at the ruins and the walk through the jungle to the night light show (it's in Spanish so brush up) at the great pyramid is a favorite memory- I thought it was like something at Disney, then it dawned on me that this was REAL!

As to the drive, we took the toll road to/from Cancun which is decidedly uninteresting. On the drive back, we went to the central market in Merida, knowing we wouldn't likely be any closer.

The tour buses take the free road through Valladolid and stop there. Must be something there, but I have no first hand knowledge. There are also cenotes say: sen-oh-tay, for swimming here and there in the jungle. There are maps of their locations.

Jim Ricks

Last edited:

alfie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Take the toll road in the morning and drive directly to Chichen Itza (expensive, and have lots of change in pesos) The Mayaland is a beautiful hotel, (reservations please). If you stay there you can walk across the street to the back entrance of the ruins and spend most of the day. The food at the Mayaland is good, and they usually have entertainment. You can catch the night show at the ruins if you stay overnight. If the Mayaland is full you may wish to try the Hacienda Chichen. There are many restaurants in Piste, which is the town nearest to the ruins, which you may also which to visit.( tourist shopping) There is really not much to see along the way on the toll road, but, the next day if you return to Cancun you can take the slow road, and go to the city of Valladolid which is quite interesting. There are a lot of topes (speed bumps) on the old highway, which make going slow, but interesting...don't drive in the dark.

ssally

Reaction score
thanks for the info passepartout and alfie!!!

question..Passepartout and .Alfie...Do you think cenote swimming is safe? I mean bacterially? Just wondering. Thanks sally:)

Last edited:

KarenLK

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't know how safe cenotes are for swimming, but just remember they will be cold!!

ssally

Reaction score
great in the heat...

I bet!!:) though safety is a concern.

alfie

TUG Member
Reaction score
The cenotes are all connected by underground rivers that traverse the entire area, so the water is constantly changing. They are not simply stagnant ponds. That is why they are so cold. I wouldn't worry about the bacterial content, when swimming. The same fresh water is is filtered and used in the hotels, so if you can drink it, I imagine you can swim in it...

ecwinch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Harbour Point (HP), Kauai Beach Villas, Riverside Suites, WorldMark Pts (WM), Wyndham Pts
No driving information, but some spelling and pronunciation help.

Chichen Itza, pronounced CHEE'chin EAT'sa.

Hope that helps.

Fern

When we visited the ruins at Uxmal (oosh-mall), the guide there told us the easy way to pronounce it is to say "chicken pizzza" really fast.

aleksir

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Regina
Uxmal

We went cenote swimming a few years ago while spending a week in Yucatan. They are not a problem, very refreshing on a hot summer day. I would highly recommend vising Uxmal. We enjoyed it much more than Chichen Itza. No crowds! Utterly fantastic carvings.

We hired a local guide for the two of us for 500 pesos -it was well spent. He explained so much more than what you can see on your own, answered any questions we had, was in no rush what so ever and used the experience to work on his English, which was very good to begin with. I think Uxmal was the highlight of the 1/2 dozen ruins we visited that trip.

Attachments

• 100_0712-3.jpg
    100_0712-3.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 15