• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Driving in Cancun

janej

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

We are going to Cancun for the first time in April. We will stay at Club International (VCI). I just checked the car rental on travelocity and found it is quite cheap ($20/day). How difficult is it to drive in Cancun? Is a car useful considering the cost is the almost the same as our RT transportation.

Thanks a lot for your help,

Jane

Avery

TUG Member
Reaction score
You should not need a car in Cancun; the public bus is very inexpensive (like 50 cents) and goes anywhere you would want to go. And the Royals run a free shuttle between VCI, the Sands, and the tri-Royals. Taxis abound if you want one.

Should you decide to drive to Chichen-Itza rather than take a tour (if you are inclined to go despite the fact that scaling the steps is no longer permitted), well then, maybe it makes some economic sense.

That said, I generally don't like renting a car in a place with liability laws I am unfamiliar with, especially from a "local" rather than US-based rental agency. That combined with Mexico's reputation for corruption amongst its police, well, I just don't want to drive there. Call me paranoid.

jspang

TUG Member
Reaction score
My advise: Don't drive, enjoy your vacation and use the shuttles, bus or taxis and have fun.

DonnaD

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Raintree Vacation Club
Don't drive in Cancun

I agree. the bus system is great and inexpensive. The parking is very limited. There is one main road through the hotel zone. Relax and enjoy the adventure of riding the bus. i would not want to be int a little car with all the bus traffic there. where you are located, you will have a bus available as soon as you approach the curb.

quezsmith

TUG Member
Reaction score
janej said:
Hi all,

We are going to Cancun for the first time in April. We will stay at Club International (VCI). I just checked the car rental on travelocity and found it is quite cheap ($20/day). How difficult is it to drive in Cancun? Is a car useful considering the cost is the almost the same as our RT transportation.

Thanks a lot for your help,

Jane

Jane,

We have rented a car before and didn't have any problems. That being said, the car sat most of the week because the bus is so cheap and we wanted to be with our friends (we had a group of 10 or so). We were a bit nervous driving because they are a bit crazy driving but didn't run into any problems. They did inspect the car THOUROUGHLY when we returned it. It's almost as if they expected some damage ( I think it was Hertz). Anyway, even though it was pretty cheap, I feel like it was a waste of money. The bus is so cheap and the tours include transportation. Hope this helps,

Jan

tonyg

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Acadia Village Resort
I agree with everybody and would not rent a car except to drive elsewhere. The $ 20 per day you quoted sounds too good to be true and it probably is.

tomandrobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Unless you plan on some self guide excursions, I would just use the bas and taxis in Cancun. Now, we have stayed in the Mayan Riveria region and rented a car for a day or two. Had no problems with driving or renting. If you do rent a car, check with your insurer to see if you are covered. If so, don't waste your money on the extra insurance they try to sell you. Also, like everything else in Mexico....negotiate your rates.

Instead of using the resort packaged excusions, we rented a car and paid for the tickets when we got to our destinations. Saved alot of money for us, a family of 5.

jules54

TUG Member
Reaction score
The price quoted I am sure did not include the 25.00 per day liability insurance that everyone is required to purchase in this area of Mexico. They consider it your Mexican driver license. Your credit card insurance will not cover if you don't have this. I have both rented and wrecked a can in Cancun and it wasn't any picnic. But really not any more hassel then wrecking a rental car in the states. Canun is very busy and I would now recommend driving on your first visit. As mentioned before parking downtown is very difficult. If you want to go on tours outside on town hire a car and driver. Just ask a waiter or bellboy or cab driver how much for the day. Everyone has a cousin or brother in the business. You get to enjoy the ride and drink if you like, not worry about location and then just pay your admittance fee to the attraction which usually is very inexpensive compared to a hired tour.
Have tons of fun. Take the bus it is a ball.

FFUNCO

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have been to Cancun a few times and we rent a car everytime. I have driven to Chichen Itza, Merida, Uxmal and many of the ruins down there, Tulum, Coba, and about 10 other sites via the pay highway and via the free backroads. We don't cook so we eat out around Cancun and downtown plus go shopping, see the sites, etc.

If you can drive in the worst traffic that any major traffic can offer; you can do it but be careful. If you don't think you can do it; don't! Expect the unexpected when driving downtown. There are other options available such as the buses, taxis, tours, and your feet. I would say the worst traffic you have to watch out for is in the city areas such as downtown Cancun or Merida otherwise it's not bad at all on the hotel strip and on the highways and backroads. Make sure you watch out for speed bumps and potholes and pedestrians.

The most important thing is to have fun and to respect the locals and workers while you are there.

jbuzzy11

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree with the post above and Just wanted to add that if you have small kids in car seats like I do you dont want them on your lap on the bus! We have rented a small car with air from national the past 6 or 7 years for under $150.00 for the week and thats tax included and you can turn down the bogus extra Ins the other companys spring on you and say its manditory, its called CDW and if you are paying with your creditcard good chance you can wave it, check with CC company. getting back to driving in cancun, do the speed limit and follow the rules, they will pull you over and take your license till you pay the fine downtown or there $15 to $20 bribe right there in the street. :eek:

lizhecht

TUG Member
Reaction score
Bus's are more like shuttles

We usually rent a car the first couple of days, it all depends on who you are travelling with and what you are planning to do. We use it to shop for groceries, save ourselves the cost of shuttle to the hotel and for one big excursion down the coast at the beginning of the week.
We haven't been hassled by traffic policia yet but anyone here could tell you a story or two. Hertz has micro-inspected our car and found a small scratch and charged us a couple of hundred...(I take digital pictures and ask for a beat up car now)
The traffic isn't any worse than any major city in rush hour. I live in the Northeast and don't find it difficult to drive in Cancun, but I wouldn't get behind the wheel in Cairo Egypt if you paid me! Now there is some bad traffic.

Believe everyone here. The buses are incredibly reliable and go to most anywhere you would need or want to go. You'll never need to walk far to find one. They run every minute it seems up and down the hotel strip and downtown. Anyone on the bus will give you directions if you get lost, if you take a taxi just negotiate the rate before you get in.
Have a great time.

janej

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks all for your help. We decided not to rent a car this time. I have not done much research at all this time. Any good resources (web sites, books) for planning the trip?

Jane

FFUNCO

TUG Member
Reaction score
There is a lot of stuff on the internet but nothing I can think of offhand. I think you should list the "rough" ages and number of people going and how active you are; what do you want to do/see; length of visit, budget, etc and many of the TUG people will give you more than enough things to do and see. It is almost always hot and humid there so be prepared. You probably won't need any long pants unless you want to go to a nice restaurant or you get cold easy.

I suggest a trip to Chichen Itza to see the ruins. Xel-Ha for great snorkeling or Xcaret for less snorkeling and other activities/night show. Shopping and eating in downtown Cancun. Enjoy the beautiful beach(s). There are many other pay activities such as those listed in Activity World and other places. If you go to a timeshare; you can get big discounts on activities, etc. Just be careful of what you buy. Don't buy at the Royal Sunset or their relative places. I have found that discount activities at your hotel/timeshare are usually not the lowest prices either. Just do your research before you go and have lots of fun.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask . . .