• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Driving from Vegas to LA

Cyberc

TUG Member
Reaction score
Im trying to decide if we should drive or just fly from Vegas to LA?

The drive is usually 4.5 hours but will greatly depend of the traffic. We are set to leave 2/15 which is a Saturday, Monday 17th is Presidents’ Day I assume ppl will have the day off? will that impact the traffic to LA? Or will that only impact the traffic to Vegas on the Friday before?

We have airfare from LA to Europe around 7.00pm so we ofc need to be there in time for that.

Airfare from Vegas to LA is $69 pp including checkin luggage and carryons.

Im inclined to drive if I can make it in 4.5 hours (ish) OTOH flying is so much more relaxing.

regards

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
It is so much more convenient to access McCarran airport in Las Vegas versus LAX, I would fly if it was 1 or 2 people travelling. Even if I were travelling with a family of 4, saving $300 in airfare would be right at the edge of, "Is it worth it to drive to LAX?"

Plus the flight from Las Vegas to LAX drops you off right at the airport. An accident that stalls the freeway or a delayed flight can mess up the best plans, of course.

Janann

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC on the Boulevard, Las Vegas;
Disney's Saratoga Springs
Definitely fly. It is not worth the stress of worrying about the traffic. The holiday weekend could make the drive worse, and there is the slight risk of having snow during the drive in February. Just a couple weeks ago people were stranded on the freeway between LA and Vegas.

We are about to go on our third round of the annual LA-Vegas trip, and I always consider renting a car and driving instead of flying. So far, flying has been my choice.

I'm sure people who drive it regularly will chime in and tell you there is the chance of major delays, whether it is a holiday schedule, winter weather, or just an ordinary crash on the road.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Fly. Less hassle. It's not a bad drive under most circumstances, but flying is a low cost alternative. When you get to LAX you'll have to go through security anyway as most likely you'll be changing terminals.

The drive to L.A. is about 100 miles of 4 lane divided highway across the desert. But THEN, it's another 100+ miles of multi-lane superhighways- and you'd have to change roadways to get to LAX. It would be VERY stressful for someone not used to that type of driving. Throw into the mix being on a schedule, and having a rental car to turn in, and the risk and hassle is not worth saving the relatively small price of flying. And if you can check your bags through to Europe when you check in at Las Vegas, that's all the better!

Last edited:

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
I would fly just to avoid having to drive in to LAX, let alone the drive in from Vegas. The airport traffic is horrendous, I avoid LAX at all costs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
If the only purpose is to go from Las Vegas to LAX, then definitely fly. We drive regularly from Las Vegas to Southern California but that is only because we spend time in Southern California and need a car while we are there.

Cyberc

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your valuable inputs.

to avoid any delays, stress etc we have decided to fly. Hopefully we won’t experience any delays at least not too long when flying.

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
No mention of car. Rental or parking? Cost of gas. Seems like those factors would offset price of tickets.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
It's really cheap to fly LAS to LAX on Southwest. If it were me I would fly rather than risking missing an international flight. Much more predictable and less stress.