• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Drink/Food wristbands at MVC, specifically Ko Olina?

Gerryism

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Vacation Club, Ko Olina
I bought in a few years back, I mentioned to the salesman before finalizing that I wish it was all inclusive. He casually said something like, "There's an option that's like $18 a day extra..." I saw people at the bar getting drinks and the bartender just checked the wristband. Does anyone know what options are available? I've scoured the website and see nothing.

PaulaC

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are owners at Ko'Olina and think the salesman was telling you what you wanted to hear. We are currently finishing a month's stay and if such an option existed, the resort would be filing for bankruptcy. Now, people do have different colored wristbands that tell resort employees you are staying at the resort and can charge food, drinks, etc. to your villa.

brianfox

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai x3
Haven't been to Ko Olina in a while, but we bought the wristbands at Waiohai last year.
I *think* they were upwards of $25 each (there are no freebies).
There are no discounts for multiple bands.
The wristbands are re-usable (bring them back on your next stay, or use them at any Marriott that has the technology).
They program the wristband at the start of each stay, just as if they were programming a room key.
So theoretically we could use the same band at Waiohai and Ko Olina.
The wristband purchased at Waiohai had the Waiohai turtle logo imprinted on it. Sadly, they removed all of the turtle logos from the resort signage during my stay.
At Waiohai, it functions as:
  • Pool wristband
  • Villa access (opens door)
  • Parking access
  • Other access (i.e. external doors at night, gym, etc)
At the time of our visit, it did NOT provide ability to charge purchases to your room. You still give the cashier/waiter your room number and last name.

The wristbands came in two sizes. The adults in our party found the larger size to be surprisingly tight.
It is my understanding that the wristbands are passive (i.e. no battery).
If the band breaks, or the device stops functions, front desk says they will be happy to replace (for a brand new $25 fee).

If Ko Olina became all inclusive, we'd take one final trip and go nuts - just before the resort declared bankruptcy. I am shocked - SHOCKED! - that you encountered a dishonest salesperson at Marriott.

TXTortoise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui OC Lahaina Fixed (3+)
Kauai Waiohai
Vail Streamside Birch
Maybe I'm mis-remembering, if that helps. I was whining about paying for parking during the Encore version of the trip, so desk comp'd parking. Then she was trying to sell the bands and I said no and she ended up giving them to us.

NiteMaire

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott G. Château
HVC Sedona Summit
VVR The Colonies
Last year at Ko Olina and this year at Cypress Harbour, they were selling them for $10 for 1 or $15 for 2. We ended up purchasing 2 at each place. KO's are white, which is also the color band they use for an anniversary stay (poor decision to make it that way). We didn't want to be congratulated multiple times daily on our next trip when it's not our anniversary (it happened last non-anniversary trip to KO).

Edit: I'm referring to the wristband keys. As others have stated, there is no all inclusive option.

Last edited:

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
I bought in a few years back, I mentioned to the salesman before finalizing that I wish it was all inclusive. He casually said something like, "There's an option that's like $18 a day extra..." I saw people at the bar getting drinks and the bartender just checked the wristband. Does anyone know what options are available? I've scoured the website and see nothing.
Sorry but MKO does not offer all inclusive for $18 a day. I dont know of any MVC resort in the US that offers AI experience.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

brianfox

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai x3
I dont know of any MVC resort in the US that offers AI experience.
Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Well, I guess it's all inclusive - up to the limit of the credit card you used to check in... ;)

Gerryism

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sorry but MKO does not offer all inclusive for $18 a day. I dont know of any MVC resort in the US that offers AI experience.
Perhaps it was just drinks...Maybe soft drinks? I don't care too much for the restaurants anyway.

PaulaC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Perhaps it was just drinks...Maybe soft drinks? I don't care too much for the restaurants anyway.
You can buy a refillable mug for $34.95 that offers unlimited refills of coffee, tea, soft drinks, etc. for your entire stay.

Mr. Vker

Reaction score
I know they aren't universal. The wristbands for Aruba Surf Club are different than the wristbands next door at the Ocean Club.

brianfox

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai x3
You can buy a refillable mug for $34.95 that offers unlimited refills of coffee, tea, soft drinks, etc. for your entire stay.
But the refill mugs aren't tied to a wristband.
I wonder when the mugs will get RFID to kill the Ebay mug market....

echino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYN HCC HWP HYP
HRA KAN WSJ WKV WLR SVV
MCV MKO MM1 MPU MSK
GP7
Valdoro
HHV Lagoon
Front desk gave wristbands to all of us when staying at Ko Olina. I am not sure what their function was, nobody explained and I did not ask. Certainly not all inclusive. There is an unlimited soft drinks mug for sale as well.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Front desk gave wristbands to all of us when staying at Ko Olina. I am not sure what their function was, nobody explained and I did not ask. Certainly not all inclusive. There is an unlimited soft drinks mug for sale as well.
Those are simply rubber wristbands to denote that you are staying at MKO and I believe it is a different color for each building. The other wristband being discussed by several above acts as a room key.

NiteMaire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott G. Château
HVC Sedona Summit
VVR The Colonies
They give wristbands to identify owners/guests. One purpose is to ensure only owners/guests are using the chairs by the lagoon.

We've been discussing the programmable ones you can buy that also serve as your room key. Very convenient.

Edit: VacationForever beat me to it...almost identical response.

Gerryism

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks Paula!

PaulaC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Those are simply rubber wristbands to denote that you are staying at MKO and I believe it is a different color for each building. The other wristband being discussed by several above acts as a room key.
Yes, the bands are given to every guest, but the colors denote certain things .... for instance, I had a yellow band for multiple week owner, my husband had a blue band for a birthday celebration during our stay, there is another color for anniversary celebration, then other colors were given for the date of check in. I believe pink bands were for guests that checked in January, green were given in February, and paper bands are given to guests with day passes. I got this info from one of the pool security people, so I believe it is pretty accurate.

NiteMaire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott G. Château
HVC Sedona Summit
VVR The Colonies
there is another color for anniversary celebration

White. It's why I'm surprised their programmable ones are also white. For our April stay, we're bringing the teal ones we recently purchased at Cypress Harbour to avoid the anniversary confusion.

PaulaC

TUG Member
Reaction score
White. It's why I'm surprised their programmable ones are also white. For our April stay, we're bringing the teal ones we recently purchased at Cypress Harbour to avoid the anniversary confusion.
We wore our programmable ones the entire month of our stay and never had anyone wish us a Happy Anniversary! We have also found that some of the programmable wristbands do not work universally, so we have at least 5 different bands.

NiteMaire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott G. Château
HVC Sedona Summit
VVR The Colonies
We wore our programmable ones the entire month of our stay and never had anyone wish us a Happy Anniversary!
We were there only 2 weeks, but had plenty of congratulations thrown our way. Enough so (as mentioned above) we purchased some from Cypress Harbour. We'll be at Waiohai the week after our stay at MKO. I've met owners from there with programmable wristbands. I forget the design, but I remember thinking it was a neat color/logo/style combination. Maybe, I'll just start collecting them :)

pspercy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Ocean Club x2
DC points
They give wristbands to identify owners/guests. One purpose is to ensure only owners/guests are using the chairs by the lagoon.

Need those in Maui to police the grills.