• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 29 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Check out our happy birthday post here: Happy Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Come check it out for a chance to win a Free TUG membership (or renewal) just for helping out!

Read more here
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars
  • Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
  • Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! 60,000+ subscribers! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

Read more Here
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

DRI limited points to HGV Max

daviper1996

TUG Member
Reaction score
We recently did our presentation/ owner update and learned how amazing MAX is and how shady DRI was according to our presenter.

I have read many threads regarding people who switched and those who didn't along with their reasons.

We had not done a presentation since 2014 and had a note that our point price was locked in until our next presentation. We had the option to buy 12k more points at a little under 4.00 and join HGV Max.

We have been a bit unhappy with our current 5000 pnts a year. We usually stay at the Kaanapali Beach Club every other year and have an odd number of points. We haven't done much with banking or utilizing interval exchange etc. Our main thing is we can never get 2 rooms if we want to bring family or kids get older.

We jumped on buying 12k more points and joining MAX with 17k total points and a yearly maintenance of 3600.

We currently pay 1500 a year for 5k.

We are not sure we're comfortable locked into 3600 a year forever so are looking to go back today and buy less points. We are currently thinking 3500 so we have an ocean front 1 time per year at 8500 or save the points and get 2 rooms the following year. We even thought about only buying 1500 more to get a scenic view every year.

We would love input on any all aspects of this. Would it make sense to upgrade to 1500 or 3500 so we can get 1 week a year and potentially more options. It sounds like our club dues go away. 17000 HHV is 3600 a year and we pay 1500 for 5k dri now.

Is it better to stay put in DRI with our limited points. Presenter sounded like dues for DRI climb faster than HGV.

Was buying 12k points a good thing and we should keep them?

As I said we have a meeting today to decide to remind or modify.

Any thoughts / Insights on our situation would be greatly appreciated!

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
Don't buy anything from /HVC DRI, buy on the resale market for much less.

Don't believe anything the sales people tell you, they will say anything to make a sale, nothing verbal is binding, only what's written on the contract you sign. Most people don't read all the contract.

Rescind what you bought, it's not a good deal. They tell everyone you qualify for your price from XXXX.

cindyc

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC - Kohala Suites, HGVC - Boulevard, HGV - Sedona Summit (deeded weeks), Sheraton Desert Oasis
Rescind right away. Look at the price for resale deeded weeks if what you want is OF, then buy that view.

C

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
There are several problems with trying to add to your DRI number of Points. If you buy DRI Hawaiian Collection resell the Points will be restricted to only being used in the Hawaiian Collection. Also they will be under a separate Contract Number. Same Account but separate Contract. This means higher fees. Also the resell Points can not be added to your current Points to make a single Booking. When we had resell DRI Hawaiian Collection Points and Developer Hawaiian Collection Points we used the resell Points to make a 3 day Booking at KBC and the regular DRI Points to make a consecutive 4 day Booking in the same sized Unit. We did not have to move Units. We did this via a telephone call to DRI Booking. We had 2 separate Reservations with 2 separate numbers. This would be a pain to do all the time.

DRIless

Reaction score
There are several problems with trying to add to your DRI number of Points. If you buy DRI Hawaiian Collection resell the Points will be restricted to only being used in the Hawaiian Collection. Also they will be under a separate Contract Number. Same Account but separate Contract. This means higher fees. Also the resell Points can not be added to your current Points to make a single Booking. When we had resell DRI Hawaiian Collection Points and Developer Hawaiian Collection Points we used the resell Points to make a 3 day Booking at KBC and the regular DRI Points to make a consecutive 4 day Booking in the same sized Unit. We did not have to move Units. We did this via a telephone call to DRI Booking. We had 2 separate Reservations with 2 separate numbers. This would be a pain to do all the time.
... and you're paying a 10% points premium for booking 'nightly'

daviper1996

TUG Member
Reaction score
So we were told it was canceled and would go back on CC. But looking at things the day before we saw it was not. We quickly got the letter to rescind out, signed and set back late on day 6. But still day 6 evening Hawaiian time where we purchased.

Today I got my welcome letter and see my new points allocation in my portal.

Wondering if it is worth fighting as I have time stamps of the fax which was confirmed delivered before the final hours of our rescind date.

I realize it was my fault for taking the salesmanship word that he put the cancelation process in and the CC would post the refund 7 to 10 days.

GT75

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
So we were told it was canceled and would go back on CC.
Wondering if it is worth fighting as I have time stamps of the fax which was confirmed delivered before the final hours of our rescind date.
Yes, I would fight (IMO). Sound like you got confirmation that it was canceled. Our course, it is your decision.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
hope you were able to rescind, thats a ton of money for "not what you want"! 48k? whew!

heitmullerj02

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, HGVC Carlsbad
In closing process now for HHV, purchased here on Tug. 9200 points, 3k plus closing, ocean view, not front, yes I know, but it meets my needs. ( 2 bed.) Last purchase with HGVC was eBay, $100 plus closing, 2 bed, annually Carlsbad CA, lovely resort. Shop around and make sure the cancel is acknowledge.

daviper1996

TUG Member
Reaction score
That sounds like a great deal. I didn't need ocean front, view would be great. However we were able to remind ! Very happy about that and will shop here on Tug. Are portal still shows we are enrolled in HVMax.

Was wondering if I should make a point to get back out of HGVMax.
In closing process now for HHV, purchased here on Tug. 9200 points, 3k plus closing, ocean view, not front, yes I know, but it meets my needs. ( 2 bed.) Last purchase with HGVC was eBay, $100 plus closing, 2 bed, annually Carlsbad CA, lovely resort. Shop around and make sure the cancel is acknowledge.