• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

DRI is out of their minds!

harveyhaddixfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
The decision makers at DRI have lost it. Got this letter in the mail today. Starting next year, they’re going to charge a resort fee to those using their deeded week if it’s currently exchanged in RCI Points or Weeks. So on top of $1250 for MF, they’ll add $180 plus tax. Sorry, I bought a deed in RCI points for a reason. When I reserve my week in RCI instead of letting it go to the exchange pool, that is not an exchange.

2a1260a8f85559c7874a491fe800474b.jpg

goaliedave

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Raintree, Diamond (bought by Hilton), Shell (bought by Wyndham), Sheraton (bought by Marriott), Palace Resorts, a few independants
Things change in life. Someday if Wyndham buys Diamond things will change again.

Sent from my SM-A505G using Tapatalk

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I think you should obtain some verification that this says what you think it says.

Based on similarities with other Diamond Resorts, if you simply elect to use your ownership to stay at the resort during the window when you can exercise that right exclusively, it very well might not be considered an exchange, but your ordinary usage. But outside that window, when you would now be using your points to get back into the resort, that is now an "exchange". We have experienced that at Point at Poipu, when we deposited a week with RCI that we couldn't use one year, then used that deposit to trade back into Point at Poipu in a later year. At that point we were exchangers, not owners.

On the other hand, because Diamond is not linked to RCI, it's entirely possible that they might be considering any activity that occurs through RCI as an exchange.

harveyhaddixfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
It specifically mentions using your home week through RCI will be considered an exchange. The basically want you to pull it from RCI and use their system. It’s a way to eventually get all inventory out of RCI. And I’d be happy if Wyndham were to buy DRI. I have no problems using the Wyndham system as a resale owner.

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
The decision makers at DRI have lost it. Got this letter in the mail today. Starting next year, they’re going to charge a resort fee to those using their deeded week if it’s currently exchanged in RCI Points or Weeks. So on top of $1250 for MF, they’ll add $180 plus tax. Sorry, I bought a deed in RCI points for a reason. When I reserve my week in RCI instead of letting it go to the exchange pool, that is not an exchange.

2a1260a8f85559c7874a491fe800474b.jpg

Sigh, they do it because they CAN. Another example of abusing their contract rights I say.

As a renter, unless the place is real cheap, I walk from resort fees. In my mind, resort fees are the same as airline fuel fees. When I enjoy a resort, the facilities are included. When I purchase a ticket, they need to put fuel in to get me where I am going as agreed. They can try to do it without fuel, but I think they won’t meet their agreement with me if they don’t.

Funny thing, if you say “Ok, I will just use the bed” they demand the fee anyway.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WBP

TUG Member
Reaction score
Where there's smoke, there's fire.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
DRI primarily use II and their own various internal exchange programs (The Club & Destination Exchange Program) for timeshare exchange vacations true. So anything outside of these programs like RCI you will be exchange guest.; even in your own home resort. Because you use RCI points.... IMO.

Now if your home resort is affiliated with both RCI and II, this is wrong.
Plus, if this is in your written contract, this is totally wrong, IMO.

Another way to make a dollar by Apollo and DRI. IMHO.

Last edited:

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
And DRI is pulling out of II. So leaving only The Club and the new (to DRI) Destiation Exchange

Who told you that DRI is pulling out II?
Sounds liked a high pressure sale person.

rboesl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Divi Village Beach & Golf Resort
Vidanta Grand Mayan
Villa del Arco Cobo
Grandview Las Vegas
Vacation Village at Bonaventure
Nope. Just logged in to my DRI Account and Destination Exchange is now an option in their menu. Although I will admit this is also in their new re-design site which is being piloted with a select group of owners. Pulling out may be a bit of a stretch because my Diamond Membership in II is still active. But I did see membership fees for Destination Exchange are significantly cheaper.

goaliedave

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Raintree, Diamond (bought by Hilton), Shell (bought by Wyndham), Sheraton (bought by Marriott), Palace Resorts, a few independants
Nope. Just logged in to my DRI Account and Destination Exchange is now an option in their menu. Although I will admit this is also in their new re-design site which is being piloted with a select group of owners. Pulling out may be a bit of a stretch because my Diamond Membership in II is still active. But I did see membership fees for Destination Exchange are significantly cheaper.
A careless post. This is nothing new. Website redesign is all.

R.J.C.

unconfirmed
Reaction score
And DRI is pulling out of II. So leaving only The Club and the new (to DRI) Destiation Exchange

You can stay in II if you wish, you just have to pay your own membership fee if you want to stay.

R.J.C.

unconfirmed
Reaction score

Your Diamond II membership will be active until the end of the year.

R.J.C.

unconfirmed
Reaction score
A careless post. This is nothing new. Website redesign is all.

Actually, it is something new. Diamond is getting rid of their association with II (theorized that it's because Marriott purchased II). Diamond members can join DEX or pay their own II (or possibly RCI) membership fees if they choose.

Grammarhero

Official TUGBBS Rescission Master
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Grand Desert 77k, VV Williamsburg 4L/4 & 2/2
Former: Wyndham 276k, HGVC South Bend 1/1
I never got free II as a resale owner. One benefit to Destination Exchange is five year redemption period. I have Wyndham, vacation villages, and DRI. DRI becoming my least fav of my TSs.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Question when will Diamond notify all their Ii members and II?

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
I never got free II as a resale owner. One benefit to Destination Exchange is five year redemption period. I have Wyndham, vacation villages, and DRI. DRI becoming my least fav of my TSs.

Curious. Which one (so far) do you like the best?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I own with Capital Vacations and they have been owned by Apollo for about 10 months now. They currently are negotiating with II and if your II membership happens to expire now they will not renew it or let you pay for it yourself. It's a ridiculous mess.
If you have a deeded non points week that has had an affiliation with II that can't restrict you from paying for and using II but they can and will charge resort fees for any Interval exchange and make you call in order to deposit with II.

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
I own with Capital Vacations and they have been owned by Apollo for about 10 months now. They currently are negotiating with II and if your II membership happens to expire now they will not renew it or let you pay for it yourself. It's a ridiculous mess.
If you have a deeded non points week that has had an affiliation with II that can't restrict you from paying for and using II but they can and will charge resort fees for any Interval exchange and make you call in order to deposit with II.
Seems to my question why resorts I used to trade into in II easily that were Capital resorts have not been available to trade into.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
So I got my email from DRI today re the Destination Exchange roll-out. Here's some of my take, which is a continuation of things I have been posting for ten or more years.

Like any decently run company, travel and hospitality companies, including but not limited to timeshare/vacation companies, are looking to expand the amount of business they do with their customers/clients/saps/obligates. A basic strategy is to siphon money that your customers are spending elsewhere and bring it into your sphere. This is known as "extending" your services. It's like ordering something on Amazon or buying alcohol at Costco or Trader Joes. While you're there you may as well fill your cart with other things that you would like, and save time (and perhaps money). I don't have any problem with DRI doing so; in fact I would be worried if they didn't do so because that would mean was involved with any ineptly managed company.

When we joined the Club, I considered the business model - how DRI was identifying an opportunity to capture for themselves money that members would otherwise be sending to an exchange company. And making sure that model worked for us. So, one thing was exchange company membership fees. Since II Gold membership was included in Club dues, that was money had been sending to an exchange company that now went to DRI. A second thing was that by using the Club we could book units throughout the system without paying exchange fees and we could book directly if space was available instead of having to put in an exchange request. And if we still wanted to make an exchange, we could do so through II, and we knew exactly how many DRI points would be required for the exchange. And we didn't have to worry about trade power since DRI points could grab anything in inventory (or on a pending exchange). Since the Club covered many areas we wanted to travel that was a good trade

In that vein, my take on this is that Destination Exchange is just a way for DRI to retain in-house money that DRI members are spending with II. If a member completes an exchange using DX instead of II, that is money that flows to DRI instead of II. The backside question would be whether DRI creating DX causes II to downgrade the trading power given to DRI exchanges in II?

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Since they aren't going to be allowing points to exchange through II starting next year, there won't be a downgrade to trading power. I don't think weeks that are not a part of the club will still be able to exchange through II and I don't think II will downgrade their trading power. If anything maybe it will go up if there is more demand vs supply.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Since they aren't going to be allowing points to exchange through II starting next year, ...
Not true. From the DRI announcement about Destination Exchange:

After December 31, 2020, Destination Xchange will be The Club’s primary exchange provider. Since Destination Xchange is not exclusive, you are still welcome to use other exchange providers, such as Interval International. Our team will work with other providers, if you choose to use one, to ensure you make the most of your vacation time.

We are still missing some details, But I'm pretty sure one major element is unchanged. Namely, if your ownership is part of the Club, then you cannot make reservations involving your unit outside of the Club. So if you want to book a week using Home Resort Advantage, that can only be done through the Club. If you want to book a unit at another Diamond Resort that isn't part of your Home Resort Advantage, that can only be done through the Club. If you want to use your week for an exchange, that can only be done through the Club.

This report suggests that if you want to exchange through an different exchange company (RCI, TPA, HTSE), that might now be allowed through the Club. (Previously, if you have requested to exchange using any company other than II or SFX, the Club has disallowed the exchange - they have told the other exchange company that the unit is not available.)

Last edited:

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sorry I missed that. I wonder if you have to start paying for your II membership now if you want to exchange for next year and if you will be able to combine the private account with other timeshares you own or if it would have to remain separate. I have a deeded week with Diamond and they make you jump through hoops to deposit with II. I can't imagine they will make it easy for points members.