• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Double down on Welk or jump ship to DVC?

Jeweladdict

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Welk
We purchased direct from welk 2 years ago 120k points (20k). You didn't realize what a big mistake it was until we try to book our first vacation, needless to say we've learned the system and we're making the best of it.now that we have a couple of years under our belt we have realized that in order to make it really work for us (disney) we would need more points (780k). We have no intention of purchasing that many more points direct but resale seems to be a good option. We attended an owner update last week and we were basically told that we could purchase 540k resale and then purchase another 120k direct for $20k and roll them all (120 + 540 + 120)to get platinum premier status to book Disney resorts. This plan costs us about $25k in addition to our already sunk cost of $20K.

Our alternative option is to get rid of our welk resort ownership and just buy resale through Disney so that we could get a one bedroom every year at the same cost of $25k. We would have a lot less points but the flexibility to rent out points into bank and borrow with ease might be worth it to us.

We are looking for advice from owners who have 780k points on the availability of the Well collections and being able to book at Disney resorts during peak season. For example if we wanted to use all 780,000 points at once for three rooms at Aulani or Boardwalk could we do so?

The maintenance fees between the two options are somewhat comparable, the only thing that is preventing us from pulling the trigger on option 1 is the question of availability. We want to be able to book big family vacations during peak travel times (school schedule) and don't want to be in a situation where we have the points, but can't do anything.

Thanks!

bizaro86

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
If the maintenance and upfront costs are similar, I think it's a no-brainer to buy where you actually want to stay, as availability will be better.

As an added bonus, if you ever need to sell DVC purchased resale has held its value, whereas the Welk you buy developer will be worth a small fraction of what you pay for it.

Reactions: RX8
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Welk Resorts
Let me start by starting I don't own that many points with Welk. 240k annual. I have been told over and over by owner services that they won't let you combine resale accounts with retail accounts but I have never tried.
As far as Disney goes through Welk, I have seen quite a few two bedrooms in summer at Saratoga springs and old key West in RCI for less than what Welk would charge. I can't speak for aulani but I wouldn't count on good availability anyway but through Disney.
I wouldn't trust the sales people about combining. Not with that kind of money. If Disney is where you mostly want to be, go Disney.
564d0dec613c66c6efacd5498fdc686c.jpg

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Reactions: RX8

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
It's almost never a good idea to buy timeshare X to primarily stay in some specific other timeshare Y. Too many things can change in how these exchange relationships function over time. In the dozen years or so I've been a timeshare owner I can count at least four or five different sea changes that completely changed how I could best (or ever) exchange into specific targets, including DVC.

If what you want is to stay at DVC resorts every (other) year for the foreseeable future, and you can afford it, buy there.

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
I have no idea if Welk charges extra to be able to book DVC but DVC itself is a simple system with no nickel and dime charges. Agreeing with others that if DVC is your goal, buy DVC.

DVC has very good resale value and if you can’t use your points you could either rent yourself or sell the points to reputable brokers for more than your maintenance fees. Welk can’t say the same.

Jeweladdict

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Welk
Thanks for all of the responses. DVC is one of our goals, but the welk collections and welk resorts are also nice. We are going to hold off for a couple years and then reassess.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Welk Resorts
Thanks for all of the responses. DVC is one of our goals, but the welk collections and welk resorts are also nice. We are going to hold off for a couple years and then reassess.
Caution is always best in my opinion.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

JohnB3

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC - SSR
Grandview Las Vegas (RCI Points)
Marriott - Willow Ridge
I don’t have any Welk points but I do have DVC, Marriott and a rci points trader (grand view). I use the points trader to stay in 1 beds at SSR sometimes and that’s the least expensive way to get Disney in my mind. My DVC points are at SSR and I have decent luck getting ohau and AKL I can always get SSR and OKW other DVC resorts are hit and miss at 7 months, as long as I’m flexible on dates and willing to split stays you can get Most of them. Beach club, grand Californian are tough. As others have said if you want Disney you should just buy DVC points resale and if you have specific resorts you really want, get your points at those resorts. I agree with Bnoble the exchange game changes and if it does you have no recourse

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Buy where you want to stay. Exchange agreements can change anytime. Never buy with the intention of exchanging for something else.

Also, if you look at your costs over the next 5 years or 10 years, you may find it is less expensive to rent rather than buy anything. Your travel preferences can change drastically over the next 5 to 10 years, also.