• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Dordogne Region of France

beejaybeeohio

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Best Place in the US to see the April 2024 Eclipse
Resorts Owned
Peekn'Peak's Greenwood Forest NY
Has any Tugger spent time in this part of France? I am looking to book a VRBO for 4 nights this September (thrilled that DD and DSiL are joiining us!) and would like to choose a central location so as to easily visit the villages, vignobles and pre-historic caves. We will have a rental car.
Barb

Laurie

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Has any Tugger spent time in this part of France? I am looking to book a VRBO for 4 nights this September (thrilled that DD and DSiL are joiining us!) and would like to choose a central location so as to easily visit the villages, vignobles and pre-historic caves. We will have a rental car.
Barb
Yes! and it was one of our most wonderful experiences ever -- we had come from the Riviera which was beautiful but so much traffic, in contrast to this region which was as gorgeous as Tuscany but no tourists at the time, and we visited most of the prehistoric caves and several bastides. We stayed at the RCI timeshare Domaine de Gavaudun, which served us perfectly, but VRBO'ing for 4 nights I would maybe choose Sarlat (yes touristy but a gem architecturally, parking right outside the walls) or Les Eyzies for prehistory.

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
Another vote for Sarlat. So you can walk through this medieval town at night.

The region is beautiful; the food is awesome. I am jealous.

Conan

TUG Member
Reaction score
We stayed at Domaine de Gavaudun and toured the Dordogne region from there.
My review from 2014 is here: https://tug2.com/timeshare-resort/reviews/default.aspx?Domaine-de-Gavaudun-Gavaudun-&ID=12177

The timeshare wasn't the greatest, but that's a terrific area you're headed to.
Some ideas:

Last edited:

Laurie

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We stayed at Domaine de Gavaudun and toured the Dordogne region from there.
My review from 2014 is here: https://tug2.com/timeshare-resort/reviews/default.aspx?Domaine-de-Gavaudun-Gavaudun-&ID=12177

The timeshare wasn't the greatest, but that's a terrific area you're headed to.
Some ideas:

Hi Conan, interesting about having to rent sheets etc, that changed since our visit in May 2002 -- that is my review, and trip report, right below yours! (I had forgotten I had submitted one.)

We also loved Montpazier and Font-de-Gaume -- beejaybeeohio, please read down for more suggestions to visit and if I think of them, I'll come back with other stunning villages I didn't even mention in my TUG review. Of high interest to moi: "Medieval bastides with beautiful architecture abound -- towns built around a square during the 12th and 13th centuries, with interesting histories: these towns were some of the first in medieval Europe to be built around civic life, rather than church life (and control). Women held paying jobs, and could own and transfer property."

beejaybeeohio

TUG Member
Reaction score
Best Place in the US to see the April 2024 Eclipse
Resorts Owned
Peekn'Peak's Greenwood Forest NY
Merci beaucoup, everyone! Interestingly, at one point in my searching RCI the Domain Gauvidon did come up, but I passed. From searching VRBO, there seem to be many very reasonable and 'tres charmant' options in the Dordogne area. Thanks too for your links, Conan.

We fly into Bordeaux from Barcelona and DD/DSiL from Marrakech. Their flight gets 90 min. in after ours at @5:30 pm, so I think for that night we will stay in a hotel in the Libourne/St. Emilion area, then off to near Sarlat for the remaining 4 nights until our exchange week at Royal Regency.

I've several guidebooks on hand currently, but returned Rick Steves to the library- I did find his info on the various caves most helpful although he made it seem nigh unto impossible to visit some of them such as Grotte de Rouffignac and Grotte de Font de Gaume due to limited spots and no option to pre-purchase tickets. Luckily we have over 8 months to plan for the cave tours. And mid-week in September should be relatively light on tourists like us!

JudyH

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
We went two years ago Fabulous. I’d go again tomorrow.