• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Don't abbreviate 2020 when writing out the date

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
Why? The date is easily changeable and could be used against you.
Example: If you just write 1/1/20, one could easily change it to 1/1/2017 (for instance) and now your signature is on an incorrect document

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
Example: If you just write 1/1/20, one could easily change it to 1/1/2017 (for instance) and now your signature is on an incorrect document

Yes, and if you abbreviated 19 for 2019, it could have been changed to 1974, 1901, or 1942. Never heard of any problems in 2019 from this. Seems a bit of worry overkill.

DRIless

Reaction score
Yes, and if you abbreviated 19 for 2019, it could have been changed to 1974, 1901, or 1942. Never heard of any problems in 2019 from this. Seems a bit of worry overkill.

Something to consider, the nefarious activities where someone may want to change your date/year are probably more like backdating something a year or two prior (20) and not backdating it to the previous century (19).

Gypsy65

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HIVC
I get the thought but whatever it is you dated with just a ( 20 ) would have to have the exact same relevance
Such as signing a mortgage doc. That signed doc can only be used for whatever it was drawn for
Or a check could only be used by the receiver

I’m not sure how this could really have any effect
I’m sure someone would be able to use it for bad but they would have to have a lot of ducks lined up for that to happen

Maybe I’m missing something??

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Last November, I wrote a rare check to pay my taxes.
I was leaving when the clerk noticed that I was a year off... "11/11/20."
Thinking ahead, I guess. At her suggestion, I tacked "19" onto the 20.

Last edited:

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ever since the turn of the Century I have abbreviated dates (using today's date) as an example: 01/02/2020

George

x3 skier

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
As a note about dating papers, I learned a long time ago, whatever date you put on a check is irrelevant. The payee will get the funds (assuming you have the money in the institution or overdraft protection) when it is presented. You can date a week, month, year or whatever in the future and it will likely clear when presented. I don’t know about those that state void after x days.

Cheers

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
While a check may say they’re only good until a certain date or number of days, whether that's true depends on the bank. Your bank could make the decision to ignore those instructions and cash the check anyway. Also, never hold onto a personal check for more than 6 months past the date it was written. I don't know who would but, banks are not obligated, under the Uniform Commercial Code, to pay checks more than six months old.

With other checks remember. ;)

Traveler's Checks
Traveler’s checks never expire. If the issuing bank is still in business, the checks are still valid.

Cashier's Checks
That's up to the bank who issued it. You would think that it's valid for as long as the bank is around but, some do put "void after" or expiration dates on them.

State/Local Government Checks
Well, it depends. It's up to the state or local government. They expire according to the state's law. You can still get the money but, you have to request a new check

U.S. Treasury Checks
They're good for one year after the date on the check. If you hold onto one past a year, you’ll need to contact the Government and request a new check.

Brett

Reaction score
This was on the local news, something to keep in mind with paper checks.
But I rarely use paper checks anymore

CanuckTravlr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Ocean 22
Not an issue in Canada. We rarely use paper cheques (Queen's English) anymore either. But if we do, all cheques in Canada have a pre-set date format imprinted on them of YYYY-MM-DD or DD-MM-YYYY that must be completed. We haven't had just a line to write the date for several years.

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
It's being passed around Facebook now.

billymach4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yeah this is all over FB. Just one of those posts people are passing around.