• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Donate For A Cause

Sewbiz13

TUG Member
Reaction score
I wanted to give a thumbs up to Donate For A Cause. My sister and I were trying to get rid of the timeshare we inherited. We had tried to give it away but we had no luck. We contacted Donate For A Cause and had started the process of getting rid of the timeshare. In the middle of it all, we found out we could deed back the timeshare and stopped the proceedings with Donate For A Cause. (we had tried to deed it back previously but was turned down - things changed later with the company and they did take some back).

During the whole process, DFAC was very professional and keep us updated on everything that was going on. Whatever they told us verbally was backed up in writing and there were no surprises. When we cancelled with them, we were able to get our money back as stated in the contract and had no problems.

I understand that ideally you should not have to pay to get rid of your timeshare but if we had been able to give it away with us paying closing costs and the fees for this year and next, we would've paid the same amount as what we were going to pay with DFAC.

Being saddled with something you don't want and are stuck with and not wanting to ruin your credit is very stressful. We made payments on this timeshare for over 1 1/2 years and are so grateful we could deed it back but were also happy that we had an option with DFAC. And lucky us - we inherited TWO timeshares but were able to deed the other one back right away.

Barbara

Beaglemom3

TUG Member
Reaction score
Interesting post.

First, you can decline an inheritance (disclaiming) of any kind including timeshares or other "poor assets" (qualified disclaimers).
This has to be done in writing and within nine months in most states.

Second, the BBB isn't too impressed with DFAC's business practices.
http://www.bbb.org/charity-reviews/...py-dba-donate-for-a-cause-in-bozeman-mt-20893

The upfront fees, please, tell us more about those. Are they still $1,299 or higher with closing costs ? Thank you.

Last edited:

Sewbiz13

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, I know now you can disclaim an inheritance. Unfortunately, our lawyer did not do his job well and by the time we found out we could do that, it was too late. Live and learn. We had so much going on with my mom's estate and just going through the grieving process, things didn't get followed up on as they should have. It's amazing how the professionals you hire to handle things for you don't seem to give a crap about anything and how much it costs you. Anyway......

Yes, the fees were over $1299 - can't remember the exact total.We tried various options to get rid of the timeshare and we were unsuccessful. It is hard to sell something when you are unfamiliar with the whole process of timeshares and it was so overwhelming. I know that everyone says to not pay upfront but this seemed to be our only option. Who knew that things would go the way they did! We got very lucky. I just wanted to pass on the fact that we had a positive experience. I realize others do not.

Barbara

solerdr

Reaction score
Declining an Inheritence

If you decline an inheritence can't the timeshare company still go after the estate to pay for the maintenance and/or renovation fees?

Kildahl

TUG Member
Reaction score
The answer is yes, but property disclaimed usually passes to other individuals/beneficiaries.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
The answer is yes, but property disclaimed usually passes to other individuals/beneficiaries.

As I understand, if no one wants a property and it can't be sold, the executor can petition the court to allow the property to be abandoned so that probate can be closed.