• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

doing my homwork

debbenys

Reaction score
Sat thru a sales promo and signed on the dotted line. Came home, cooled off and found TUG. Thank you! But now we still want to purchase a TS on the fla. coast that we can use at xmas time. My husband and I are employed and only have a limited amt. of vacation time annually.
I think I want a 2 BR lockoff, so we can rent out the other side each yr.
I understand the basics of trading and know to purchase someplace w/ high trade-ability or high rent-ability.
Currently leaning towards the St. Augustine Beach Club, any advice?
Also interested in the St. Pete Beach area, any advice?

theo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
My $0.02 worth...

somehow made multiple entries of same post ---my error, my bad, my apologies...

Last edited:

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
My $0.02 worth...

deleted inadvertent duplicate post ---actual response follows below...

Last edited:

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
My $0.02 worth...

...we still want to purchase a TS on the fla. coast that we can use at xmas time. My husband and I are employed and only have a limited amt. of vacation time annually.

I think I want a 2 BR lockoff, so we can rent out the other side each yr. ......Currently leaning towards the St. Augustine Beach Club... Also interested in the St. Pete Beach area, any advice?

While the 2br lockoff / rental idea is certainly sound in concept, I frankly think you'll quickly find that making that criterion an actual requirement will severely limit your purchase options, since there are far more facilities that don't have lock-off units than do...

I don't know much at all about the St. Augustine area (except that it's still a bit chilly around Xmas time), but I do know a bit about the Gulf Coast of SW FL. There are lots of timeshare facilities in the St. Pete Beach area which you mention as an area of consideration. Some of them are facilities which were originally constructed as full ownership condos and are therefore quite "huge" by timeshare industry standards (Bay & Beach Club in Indian Shores comes immediately to mind as just one specific example). All units there are spacious 2BR (...but there are no "lock offs"). Generally speaking, I'd stay away from facilities that are, in truth, nothing more than little motels converted over at some point to timeshare ownerships.

My advice (specifically pertaining to SW FL Gulf Coast) would be to just forget about a "lock off" as a specific requirement and shop around for a (resale only, of course) fixed week 51 or 52 someplace which is not just a converted motel --- and which has annual maintenance fees that don't make you gag.

By the way, a few years ago a TUGGER named Lou S. (TUG i.d. "wcfr1" if I recall correctly) who lives on the SW FL Gulf Coast, very kindly compiled (and posted here on TUG) a detailed "rating" chart of virtually all timeshare facilities on the Gulf Coast between St. Pete Beach and Clearwater. Knowing many of those facilities myself, I found Lou's "chart" to be accurate and helpful. If you can find that post in a "search", you'll find it to be quite informative. I believe that it was actually an "attachment" to one of Lou's posts, so you may have to dig a little to find the attached "rating chart".

If you ultimately have occasion to contact Lou directly, be sure to thank him for his public service. Lou is a firefighter, whose job can put him directly into harm's way on any given day, as we should all realize and acknowledge at this time of year as we remember forever the horrific events of September 11, 2001).

Anyway, that's my advice and it's certainly worth every penny of what you've just paid me for it. ;)

Good luck.

Last edited: