• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Doing a Staycation on Oahu this Week

slip

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
We decided not to head to Molokai this week since a test is still required. My daughter is visiting Memorial week so I will take off that week too and stay here.

Since I am retiring in January our first trip to Molokai won’t be until Thanksgiving for two weeks. At that time we’ll start to take some things and start to get things settle for when we will stay for good.

So for this week I am making do staying on Oahu. I have been taking walks everyday and usually end out at the beach and grab some lunch.

Today I stopped in the International Marketplace at Shorefyre for some lunch. I got the Koa Chicken and it was excellent. Or to mention I got my Kamaaina Discount

I have a couple short beach videos I will post in a bit.

83ABDB32-4DD7-432F-AF8D-02A40A8F7048.jpeg

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
This first one is in front of the Royal Hawaiian.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
This one is in front of the Sheraton.

cerralee

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Spent the morning at “the wall”. The beach restoration project is just wrapping up. It’s not to busy and that’s a plus!

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Since I am retiring in January our first trip to Molokai won’t be until Thanksgiving for two weeks. At that time we’ll start to take some things and start to get things settle for when we will stay for good.

Wait! Wait!! What??? When did you decide this little gem? I thought you had five years to go? Not saying you shouldn't, certainly. I'm excited for you! But has this been announced here previously and I somehow missed it? Congratulations, my friend. You're going to love it!! :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Dave

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wait! Wait!! What??? When did you decide this little gem? I thought you had five years to go? Not saying you shouldn't, certainly. I'm excited for you! But has this been announced here previously and I somehow missed it? Congratulations, my friend. You're going to love it!! :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Dave

I mentioned it here in one of the retirement subject threads. It was a big thread and you probably didn’t see it.

I have been thinking about it since Christmas. I just had my 37 anniversary at work in April. I will be done in January or February. I haven’t announced at work yet. I was going to wait until fall but there is a large training session I’m scheduled for in June and it makes no sense for the company to pay for me to go and then whoever is my replacement will be will need it also so I will tell my boss my intentions at the end of May.

I know my President here on Hawaii won’t want me to go and he will probably offer me something else. He really likes what I have accomplished and will probably offer me a chance to change departments. I don’t mind what I am doing I have been trying to train a couple people to have a chance to replace me but I have other reasons to call it quits too.

First off, I can, we have invested well and have been saving since I started there. We each have 401k’s, we each have pensions and we will both get Social Security. We will have a few more years of Healthcare insurance payments by me going early but otherwise we live pretty cheap with everything paid for. We will need to take a little more out of savings because of the healthcare but it’s fine we can do it. I worked on all the retirement calculators and even with Fidelity who has our accounts and we are fine to go.

My wife turns 62 next week and she will start Social Security at the end of the year. She can use her 401k if needed and then at the end of next year mine will be available without penalty at the end of 2022. I’ll take Social Security at 62 and we will start our pensions afterwards sometime. I turn 58 in June so I will be close to 59 when I am quitting.

One big reason is my wife, she hasn’t done well during COVID. She has a bad hip and had problems walking any distances. When she got here she was walking during the day and doing fairly well. But when COVID hit with the restrictions, all the benches have been removed and you are not allowed to sit in most areas now. She used to love to go to the International Marketplace and sit for a while. But without that she has become unsure of herself and even has fallen a few times while I was at work. She hurt her back during one fall and that hasn’t helped her. She has one of those walkers with the wheels but she is really only comfortable doing anything when I am around. Although she does take Ubers to get to doctors and therapy appointments. She has even fallen a couple times while I was home but luckily didn’t hurt herself.

I think she would do much better with me there everyday and helping her get out and moving everyday. I am ready also, Molokai is calling our names. I like the people at work and they really appreciate what I have accomplished. I have definitely felt more appreciated and respected here than I did while at work than in Wisconsin. But the time is right and we are both ready.

We will take it slow and keep the apartment here on Oahu until March and make a couple trips to Molokai to get what we have left there. It’s not really a lot but we will make a couple of trips and take our time.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
I mentioned it here in one of the retirement subject threads. It was a big thread and you probably didn’t see it.

I have been thinking about it since Christmas. I just had my 37 anniversary at work in April. I will be done in January or February. I haven’t announced at work yet. I was going to wait until fall but there is a large training session I’m scheduled for in June and it makes no sense for the company to pay for me to go and then whoever is my replacement will be will need it also so I will tell my boss my intentions at the end of May.

I know my President here on Hawaii won’t want me to go and he will probably offer me something else. He really likes what I have accomplished and will probably offer me a chance to change departments. I don’t mind what I am doing I have been trying to train a couple people to have a chance to replace me but I have other reasons to call it quits too.

First off, I can, we have invested well and have been saving since I started there. We each have 401k’s, we each have pensions and we will both get Social Security. We will have a few more years of Healthcare insurance payments by me going early but otherwise we live pretty cheap with everything paid for. We will need to take a little more out of savings because of the healthcare but it’s fine we can do it. I worked on all the retirement calculators and even with Fidelity who has our accounts and we are fine to go.

My wife turns 62 next week and she will start Social Security at the end of the year. She can use her 401k if needed and then at the end of next year mine will be available without penalty at the end of 2022. I’ll take Social Security at 62 and we will start our pensions afterwards sometime. I turn 58 in June so I will be close to 59 when I am quitting.

One big reason is my wife, she hasn’t done well during COVID. She has a bad hip and had problems walking any distances. When she got here she was walking during the day and doing fairly well. But when COVID hit with the restrictions, all the benches have been removed and you are not allowed to sit in most areas now. She used to love to go to the International Marketplace and sit for a while. But without that she has become unsure of herself and even has fallen a few times while I was at work. She hurt her back during one fall and that hasn’t helped her. She has one of those walkers with the wheels but she is really only comfortable doing anything when I am around. Although she does take Ubers to get to doctors and therapy appointments. She has even fallen a couple times while I was home but luckily didn’t hurt herself.

I think she would do much better with me there everyday and helping her get out and moving everyday. I am ready also, Molokai is calling our names. I like the people at work and they really appreciate what I have accomplished. I have definitely felt more appreciated and respected here than I did while at work than in Wisconsin. But the time is right and we are both ready.

We will take it slow and keep the apartment here on Oahu until March and make a couple trips to Molokai to get what we have left there. It’s not really a lot but we will make a couple of trips and take our time.

Your reasoning concerning your wife is compelling and is certainly an important reason for you to retire. Waikiki is a walkable community, with traffic and parking not being one of its strong points, so moving to your retirement home in car oriented parking and traffic friendly Molokia is certainly an improvement. I wish you both the best.

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I hope your wife considers a hip replacement sooner than later. I hadn’t caught the reason for the earlier retirement, but that certainly makes sense.

I kind of want to be trained as your replacement, LOL!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
Congratulations and best wishes. We retired at 58.75 and have not regretted it. As someone explained to us once - they had never heard of a person on their deathbed regretting they had not worked longer.

luv_maui

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, congratulations! If you can make it work, which you’ve carefully thought through, then enjoy retirement. This is exciting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Congrats! You won't regret it. This it the fruit of a life well planned for. You deserve it. I do hope your wife can get some mobility back through physical therapy or surgery. This would pay untold benefits for both of you.

All the BEST!

Jim

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I'm really happy to understand things, and I wish you both nothing but excellence and a joyful retirement. You've obviously done your homework, and as they say, "When the time is right, you'll know." I can sort of relate: My Jeff stepped back from his career at Costco during Covid, and we decided him retiring early was the best move for him/us. He'll be 61 this Summer.

I second the idea of your wife exploring hip replacement. If that's an option, it may change her entire world for the better. If you'll be on Oahu through the end of the year, it may be a good time to explore that option.

Congratulations again, Jeff.

Dave

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
@slip Congratulations on the upcoming retirement.

I echo the suggestion for you wife to explore hip replacement if that's an option. I had my left hip replaced in March. I am still in the recovery period, but the pain I was experiencing prior to the surgery is gone.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place

I echo the suggestion for you wife to explore hip replacement if that's an option. I had my left hip replaced in March. I am still in the recovery period, but the pain I was experiencing prior to the surgery is gone.

The suggestion that a number of members made about a hip replacement is certainly something for you both to think about. I believe that the surgery and follow up care would be easier to do living on Oahu rather than Molokai. Perhaps that should be considered before moving.

TheHolleys87

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Boardwalk Villas, Kona Coast II
@slip, congratulations! DH and I are so happy that I retired a bit early too. We're sure it's added years to my life as well as, as they say, life to my years! All the best to you and your wife!

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV

Dave

I caught that one too!! ;) Wondered if I too had missed something. :)

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
Congrats on the retirement plan. Hope the DW can find a solution for her hip/back and feel better. Too bad you had to relocate half way around the world for your employer to appreciate you.

MrockStar

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Slip, best wishes on your retirement. Its great that you want to help your wife. Hope her hip gets better with your help. You enjoy Molokai and retirement. Please keep the pictures and video's coming. AL :cool:

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I hope your wife considers a hip replacement sooner than later. I hadn’t caught the reason for the earlier retirement, but that certainly makes sense.

I kind of want to be trained as your replacement, LOL!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The doctors say she is not ready yet for the hip replacement which I don’t really understand. She has been to doctors both in Wisconsin and here. This has all been complicated by the few falls she has had. She fractured one of her vertebrae about a year ago and that took a long time to recover from.

I think me being home will help her get around daily and get her more active. Even if it is just short daily walks. I know she will get in the pool also and that will help too.

My company has never been good at training people to take over but it is something I have always done in my 37 years. I have given many people some experience to put on applications when I took other positions.
They are moving toward taking people with degrees for my job now but the postings still say 3 to 5 years applicable experience. I still think they will bring someone out side the company but we’ll see.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Your reasoning concerning your wife is compelling and is certainly an important reason for you to retire. Waikiki is a walkable community, with traffic and parking not being one of its strong points, so moving to your retirement home in car oriented parking and traffic friendly Molokia is certainly an improvement. I wish you both the best.

Yes, that is a big reason. When you go somewhere here you can drive but still have to park a far distance to where you are going. Parking close is plentiful on Molokai.:D

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Congratulations and best wishes. We retired at 58.75 and have not regretted it. As someone explained to us once - they had never heard of a person on their deathbed regretting they had not worked longer.

Yes, I will be about the same age. I’ll be close to 38 years in then at the company. 38 years is a long time to stay anywhere and I am ready also. It’s right about when my father retired also. I’ll be ready.:thumbup:

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Yes, congratulations! If you can make it work, which you’ve carefully thought through, then enjoy retirement. This is exciting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, we can definitely make it work. When I first started thinking about it around Christmas my wife wasn’t so sure but she said she would leave it up to me. Since then she has fallen twice, nothing serious thankfully and now she says we’re ready.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Congrats! You won't regret it. This it the fruit of a life well planned for. You deserve it. I do hope your wife can get some mobility back through physical therapy or surgery. This would pay untold benefits for both of you.

All the BEST!

Jim

Mahalo, yes getting some mobility back is the goal. Therapy has helped some and it takes time. Nothing on the surgery horizon yet but we will still pursue all our options.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I'm really happy to understand things, and I wish you both nothing but excellence and a joyful retirement. You've obviously done your homework, and as they say, "When the time is right, you'll know." I can sort of relate: My Jeff stepped back from his career at Costco during Covid, and we decided him retiring early was the best move for him/us. He'll be 61 this Summer.

I second the idea of your wife exploring hip replacement. If that's an option, it may change her entire world for the better. If you'll be on Oahu through the end of the year, it may be a good time to explore that option.

Congratulations again, Jeff.

Dave

Mahalo Dave

Yes, we are keeping all options on the table. She has defiantly gotten weaker in the last year but that is from not moving around and it will take her a while to increase her strength. She gets out about 2 to 4 times a weeks just with doctors and therapy appointments so she is working on it.

Last edited:

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Mahalo

Congratulations on your hip replacement and we wish you continued success in your recovery.

She keeps working with her doctors, we haven’t removed any options from the table.