• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Dogs and Greenies [2006 Thread]

ouaifer

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
For all of you use or have used Greenies for their pooches...this was an informative piece on CNN News yesterday. To view, you have to allow Cookies and Pop-ups , and turn the Volume on. ;)

Malibu Sky

Reaction score
Very interesting segment!! Apparently, some dogs are not chewing the Greenies well and are swallowing chunks. The Greenies are either causing choking or a blockage once in the digestive sysem, because the Greenies do not breakdown once they are swallowed. They have found a reported 40 incidents of this during the last 3-4 years. Kind of scary if you ask me. My dog is small and I usually give her the little tiny pellets, so I think we are OK!!

Reaction score
I give my dog greenies. I think they chew it enough until they can swallow the remainder. Neither one has choked yet.

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
You really have to be wary of the senssationalization of the news media. 30 to 40 cases have been reported? How long have Greenies been on the market, how many have been sold and how many dogs have had NO PROBLEM what so ever? The news will always sell the sizzle but never give you the real meat of the story. I bet if they reported something like 0.00000001% of all dogs eating Greenies develop severe complications that could lead to death, there wouldn't be anyone bat an eye.

Don't get me wrong, the fact that these things can be swallowed in large chuncks without breaking down in the dogs digestive tract disturbs me. That fact, not that 30 or 40 dogs have had serious problems, disturbs me. I'd rather have the facts on if they breakdown of if the maker relies on the small piece passing through the digestive track undigested for excreation. That and that alone are what's important. I'm not putting anything down for my dog to eat if it's not going to be digested properly.

It appears that the process for making greenies makes them so hard that they may be undigestable. For that reason alone, I won't consider purchasing them. Nothing should ever be made for a dog to eat that might not be digested IMO.

On the other hand, if it were HUMANS instead of dogs that the greenies had harmed, they'd be off the market and a huge class action suit would be working it's way through the court system.

Jestjoan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks very much, you may have saved the lives of my granddogs.

Steve

Reaction score
Thanks for posting this. I have had Greenies suggested to me by several people but had not purchased any yet. One of my dogs loves to chew...and often swallows fairly good sized chunks of rawhide. She might very well have had a serious problem if I gave her a Greenie and it wasn't digestable. I will stay away from them.

I really appreciate you sharing this information here.

Steve

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).
My pup

loves Greenies but since she has a liver shunt, she must be on a low protein diet and I leared that Greenies are VERY high in protein.

Before I stopped giving them to her I would put the Greenie in the microwave for 10 or 15 seconds. That made it soft enough to snip into smaller pieces with my scissors. BEWARE of microwaving longer! They will explode!

ouaifer

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
dougp26364 said:
You really have to be wary of the sensationalizing of the news media. 30 to 40 cases have been reported? ....

Actually there are hundreds that have been reported...I contacted my Vet about this, and he, himself, has done 2 surgeries to remove Greenies' obstructions in the past 4 months. Now, just realize that this is a country Vet in a single very small practice. How many have not been reported? I agree with the sensationalism of the news media...but this could very well be a major problem.

I raise GSDs...and was always leery about the Gumabones and Nylabones....but I have found if they break off a portion of these, they spit it out and never go back to the broken off piece. The dogs just chew on these.

shagnut

TUG Member
Reaction score
Monkey loves greenies. I hate to give them up but guess I will. She does not digest rawhide bones well and throws them up so they are a no no. I bought some bones at the dog show that contain peanut butter, and other goodies. She chewed on that bone for a solid year and I finally got rid of it when I got her the new ones. shaggy

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Just got back from our vet for the dogs annual check ups and shots so I asked him about the "greenie problem." He echoed my sentiment about the media hyping things up.

To date, he has removed exactly ONE greenie obstruction and he was sure that it was a case of the owner giving the dog a chew toy to big for the breed. People don't always read the instructions (I'm assuming there is a size chart on these things) and will buy the biggest bone in order to save a couple of pennies (more for the buck). In this case, the dog bit off more than it could chew and a piece became lodged in it's throat.

In our vets opinion, Greenies are as safe as any other teeth cleaning product if the human equation follows the instructions printed on the label. Personally we've been using Denta Stix and I can say for a fact that there is a size indicated on their packaging. There is a size for dogs up to 22 lbs and for dogs over 22 lbs.

Again I say beware of the media. They'll take a story on a slow news week and hype it into the stratosphere.

taffy19

Reaction score
It may be media hype but still, it is very sad for the people who lost their dogs and it may have been a painful or slow death for the poor dog.

We think that we do the best for our pets but we kill them with kindness. We know as it happened to us. We gave Science Diet to our first cat and he died of a Taurine deficiency. He was only 7 1/2 years old and thousands of cats died of Taurine deficiency. It was discovered later so now it is included in all cat foods. From then on we feed our animals people food or only Wysong pet food as they discovered the Taurine deficiency.

Our old cat almost died of a hairball and had to have colon surgery. He stopped eating so we took him to the Vet. He would have died slowly. Even a hairball can kill a cat, especially a longhaired cat. We now comb him twice a day to be sure it won't happen again. He is almost seventeen years old now and has used up three of his nine lives when he was young.

shagnut

TUG Member
Reaction score
I talked to one of my coworkers who used to work at my vets office and is also a groomer and she echoed what was said earlier. People are giving their dog greenies that are too big for them. She said to watch them and it was a lot of hype but I thnk Monkey Dawg can live without them. shaggy

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
iconnections said:
It may be media hype but still, it is very sad for the people who lost their dogs and it may have been a painful or slow death for the poor dog.

We think that we do the best for our pets but we kill them with kindness. We know as it happened to us. We gave Science Diet to our first cat and he died of a Taurine deficiency. He was only 7 1/2 years old and thousands of cats died of Taurine deficiency. It was discovered later so now it is included in all cat foods. From then on we feed our animals people food or only Wysong pet food as they discovered the Taurine deficiency.

Our old cat almost died of a hairball and had to have colon surgery. He stopped eating so we took him to the Vet. He would have died slowly. Even a hairball can kill a cat, especially a longhaired cat. We now comb him twice a day to be sure it won't happen again. He is almost seventeen years old now and has used up three of his nine lives when he was young.

Our vet has started a new program for senior animals (7 years and older) called P.A.W.S. (Prevention, Awareness & Wellness for Seniors). The thought being that we undergo routine screenings when we're older, the same can be done for our pets.

For one annual membership fee your pet is given a battery of tests twice each year to prevent things from sneaking up on you. Animals don't always show signs of illness until the disease has progressed to the point it would be expensive, or impossible, to treat it. By doing routine lab work and testing every 6 months, they're hoping to prevent problems or at least be able to treat them early.

We've always taken the dogs in for check ups yearly but, lab work and testing hasn't always been suggested when the dogs weren't showing any signs of problems. I feel a little more secure knowing that things are being looked at on a set fee basis and that our senior dog is in as good of health as we can detect for now.

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
shagnut said:
.........She said to watch them and it was a lot of hype but I thnk Monkey Dawg can live without them. shaggy

Like you I believe my dogs can live without them. I don't believe the hype but.......why take a chance when there are so many other products out there?

So now the questions becomes, does the media have any responsibilty in ruining a business, affecting profits of a business or stockholders value in a business if they're publishing hyped up stories?

At this point the answer is no, they seem to have no liablity as the rules for freedom of speech cover them if there is even a little circumstancial evedince that their story "might" be true.

several stations broadcasting news 24/7 is not a good thing IMO. Especially when the news is market driven by sweeps week.

TSfanatic

Reaction score
In my opinion, yes, this is partially the news sensationalizing the problem--It's not just Greenies, it can be any toy or treat that size. It varies greatly on the DOG, not on the object! For example, I learned (from experience, unfortunately) that my dog can and will swallow a greenie whole. Immediately. and most other objects that aren't too big to physically go down his throat! :wall: But I know plenty of dogs that will "chew nicely" and not swallow... so it truly depends on the dog. I don't think the company that makes Greenies can be blamed-- I just think that dog owners should watch their pups carefully when introducing ANY new kind of toy or treat!

Just my two pennies....

*Liza

DebBrown

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I agree that some dogs are just proned to gulping and swallowing things whole. :rolleyes:

I'm happy to say that my dogs don't eat much "processed" foods. I make my own dog biscuits and they would likely digest if swallowed.

Deb

TSfanatic

Reaction score
I agree that some dogs are just proned to gulping and swallowing things whole. :rolleyes:

I'm happy to say that my dogs don't eat much "processed" foods. I make my own dog biscuits and they would likely digest if swallowed.

Deb

Would you mind sharing your recipe? My dog has some allergies, and the only treats/food that has worked well for him is the Natural Balance Limited Ingredient Diet line... I'm sure he'd like some variety!

I've thought about making his food, but my home BARELY has a kitchen, with a small refrigerator and limited space for storage. But I imagine biscuits could be stored anywhere....

*sorry if this is considered a "hijack" of the thread!! :)

geekette

Reaction score
I think this is mostly a matter of knowing your dog, and of supervision.

My poochie chews thoroughly. If she were to choke on a greenie, can't see why she wouldn't choke on other chew sticks?

DebBrown

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Would you mind sharing your recipe? My dog has some allergies, and the only treats/food that has worked well for him is the Natural Balance Limited Ingredient Diet line... I'm sure he'd like some variety!

I've thought about making his food, but my home BARELY has a kitchen, with a small refrigerator and limited space for storage. But I imagine biscuits could be stored anywhere....

*sorry if this is considered a "hijack" of the thread!! :)

I store my treats in the fridge because they aren't made with preservatives. I also alter the recipe as I see fit. Dogs aren't really very picky. :) We cut ours out with small gingerbread shapes because my family finds it humorous that the dogs eat "people".

Ingredients:
1 10 oz can salmon (or mackerel or other fish)
1/4 cup parsley flakes
2 cloves minced garlic (natural flea repellent)
3 eggs (including shells for their coats)
1/2 cup ground flaxseed (omega 3s)
2 cups (or more as needed) oat flour

Instructions:
Preheat oven to 375 F

Put all ingredients except flour into a mixer until well combined. Add flour until blended and mixture forms into a stiff dough using extra flour as needed.

Turn out dough onto a lightly floured work surface and kneed for about one minute. Roll out to a thickness of about 1/4". Cut into shapes using a cookie cutter dipped in flour. Place on cookie sheets and bake for 30-40 minutes or until firm and browned.

Deb

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Wow, a 2006 thread comes back to life. :eek:

TSfanatic

Reaction score
I store my treats in the fridge because they aren't made with preservatives. I also alter the recipe as I see fit. Dogs aren't really very picky. :) We cut ours out with small gingerbread shapes because my family finds it humorous that the dogs eat "people".

Ingredients:
1 10 oz can salmon (or mackerel or other fish)
1/4 cup parsley flakes
2 cloves minced garlic (natural flea repellent)
3 eggs (including shells for their coats)
1/2 cup ground flaxseed (omega 3s)
2 cups (or more as needed) oat flour

Instructions:
Preheat oven to 375 F

Put all ingredients except flour into a mixer until well combined. Add flour until blended and mixture forms into a stiff dough using extra flour as needed.

Turn out dough onto a lightly floured work surface and kneed for about one minute. Roll out to a thickness of about 1/4". Cut into shapes using a cookie cutter dipped in flour. Place on cookie sheets and bake for 30-40 minutes or until firm and browned.

Deb

Thank you so much, I'll give that a try!