• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Dog Owners "BEWARE" -- XYLITOL KILLS

gvic

TUG Member
Reaction score

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for posting this as a heads-up.

I stumbled across this information over a year ago when I was researching low-carb baking (and frosting, etc.). Someone had warned of the dangers of Xylitol to dogs on a low-carb forum. (Good for me to know as my pups would occasionally come into the kitchen looking for samples of whatever I was baking or cooking.)

JudyS

TUG Member
Reaction score
If it's toxic to dogs, it is probably even more toxic to cats.

geekette

Reaction score

Not all that keen on what it might do to humans!

I'm a purist, give me real sugar and I'll slice calories elsewhere in the diet.

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
Yes, I know about xylitol because my husband is a freak about making sure our dogs aren't anywhere near toxic substances. I bought some xylitol lollipops once for my son because xylitol is good for your teeth (it kills one of the main types of bacteria that cause cavities, which is why it's often inn chewing gum and toothpaste) and my husband would not allow the lollipops in our home. I had to go give them away.

There are lots of lists of things that are poisonous to dogs. Herre's a list from the HSUS

The following foods may be dangerous to your pet
Alcoholic beverages
Apple seeds
Apricot pits
Avocados
Cherry pits
Candy (particularly chocolate—which is toxic to dogs, cats, and ferrets—and any candy containing the toxic sweetener Xylitol)
Coffee (grounds, beans, and chocolate-covered espresso beans)
Garlic
Grapes
Gum (can cause blockages and sugar free gums may contain the toxic sweetener Xylitol)
Hops (used in home beer brewing)
Macadamia nuts
Moldy foods
Mushroom plants
Mustard seeds
Onions and onion powder
Peach pits
Potato leaves and stems (green parts)
Raisins
Rhubarb leaves
Salt
Tea (because it contains caffeine)
Tomato leaves and stems (green parts)
Walnuts
Xylitol (artificial sweetener that is toxic to pets)
Yeast dough

Some things are big no-nos like xylitol, chocolate, raisins and grapes, alcohol and coffee. Those are actually poisonous. Then there are things that are just likely to be choked on or create an intestinal blockage, like peach pits, dough, avocado pits, corn cobs, etc. Then there are things that are poisonous but the animal would have to eat a lot (or be a very small dog), like apple seeds. Not everything is super poisonous. Some items just stay on these lists because there isn't enough research to know whether it's safe or not. Example: tomatoes.

Also, fyi there is a hotline you can call if your pet gets into something you think might be poisonous. I used it when one of my dogs found and chewed up a bottle of multivitamins (as you may know, vitamin D is toxic to humans when consumed in high doses so I thought maybe the same for dogs - I was very sacred). Luckily my dog didn't consume enough to warrant a vet visit so the hotline saved me a lot of money and gave me peace of mind. The number is (888) 426-4435 and it's 24 hours 7 days a week. They charge a small fee.
https://www.aspca.org/pet-care/animal-poison-control

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas

Cat in general are much more sensitive to food and meds than dogs but they're also a lot pickier. This article explains that cats usually don't like sweet things and tend to avoid xylitol so cats getting accidentally poisoned with it is virtually unheard of. It makes a lot of sense since cats are strict carnivores and really ONLY eat meat in the wild whereas dogs are very much omnivores and will eat ANYTHING, including poop, vomit, and leftover anything.

Furthermore, the article says that it appears as though cats are more like us regarding xylitol and they can handle it just fine. Don't test the theory though.

http://www.catster.com/lifestyle/cat-health-sugarless-gum-xylitol-toxic-harmful-cats-ask-a-vet

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
no gum/mints allowed

In our household, we do not buy any gum/mints with xylitol in it. DH is a vet and he has seen dogs who got into gum/mints from owner's purse. One ate a whole pack. DH thought he would die, but, luckily, he was a big dog, so his body was able to process it and he survived. It would have killed a smaller dog. We get gum with sorbitol. The other really bad items are dark chocolate, raisins, and grapes (not as bad, as dog is unlikely to eat a bunch).

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't allow Xylitol on my house for this same reason. Tic Tacs have sugar so I allow those in my house and car. There are some sugar free gums that don't contain xylitol, but I don't know which ones off the top of my head.

visor

Reaction score
Don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but be careful of radiator leaks from your vehicles in the garage and driveway. The coolant propylene glycol is very toxic to animals who would lick them up because it's sweet tasting.

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas

JudyS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not all that keen on what it might do to humans!

I'm a purist, give me real sugar and I'll slice calories elsewhere in the diet.
Because humans are omnivores, their livers are designed to handle a lot of foods that carnivores cannot handle.

I don't know anything specific about the safety of xylitol -- just that in general, humans can eat a lot of things that dogs and cats cannot.

JudyS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Cat in general are much more sensitive to food and meds than dogs but they're also a lot pickier. This article explains that cats usually don't like sweet things and tend to avoid xylitol so cats getting accidentally poisoned with it is virtually unheard of. It makes a lot of sense since cats are strict carnivores and really ONLY eat meat in the wild whereas dogs are very much omnivores and will eat ANYTHING, including poop, vomit, and leftover anything....
Very good points! I was going to say something along those lines, but was too lazy to write it up.

A problem with toxic substances and cats is that cats typically hate anything getting on their fur. If they get a toxic liquid or gel on their fur, they are likely to lick it off just to clean themselves.

Also, I used to have a cat who loved to eat candy wrappers and sheets of plastic. One time, she got a piece of saran wrap that fell from the trash and ate it before I could stop her. (I was chasing her all over the house, but she was way faster than me.) She got sick and I had to pay a big vet bill. Luckily, she recovered well and lived to be 20 years old.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Because humans are omnivores, their livers are designed to handle a lot of foods that carnivores cannot handle.

I don't know anything specific about the safety of xylitol -- just that in general, humans can eat a lot of things that dogs and cats cannot.

I get terribly sick when I have sugar alcohol, in which Xylitol falls under (sugar alcohol typically ends with -tol). A lot of gas, followed by severe stomach ache and diarhhea for about a week. Other sugar substitutes are fine for me. If you check out sugar alcohol and side effects, you will find my symptoms are not unusual.

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
I wonder what's in grapes that isn't good for dogs? (Yes I know Google is my friend and I can probably find this out.)

Now I feel so guilty because we've fed our dog a few grapes now & then when she was begging. Interestingly, though, I noticed she sometimes ate them but other times spit them out. I thought she was just being picky.

JudyS

TUG Member
Reaction score
I get terribly sick when I have sugar alcohol, in which Xylitol falls under (sugar alcohol typically ends with -tol). A lot of gas, followed by severe stomach ache and diarhhea for about a week. Other sugar substitutes are fine for me. If you check out sugar alcohol and side effects, you will find my symptoms are not unusual.
That is definitely a problem with sugar alcohols, although the severity of this side effect varies greatly from person to person. However, it is due to malabsorption of sugar alcohols by the intestines, rather than an inability of the human body to break sugar alcohols down. I don't think this effect is particularly dangerous (unless one were to get very dehydrated) -- instead, it's just miserable. So, I wasn't really thinking of this effect (which I've experienced, too) when I said I didn't know anything about the safety of xylitol in humans.

Last edited:

gvic

TUG Member
Reaction score
I wonder what's in grapes that isn't good for dogs? (Yes I know Google is my friend and I can probably find this out.)

Now I feel so guilty because we've fed our dog a few grapes now & then when she was begging. Interestingly, though, I noticed she sometimes ate them but other times spit them out. I thought she was just being picky.

Checkout this list from ANIMAL POISON CONTROL .....

https://www.aspca.org/pet-care/animal-poison-control/people-foods-avoid-feeding-your-pets

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the link, gvic. Now I'll have to watch out for peanut butter as well, but we don't use sugar-free or low sugar so may be ok--will check the labels closely from now on for Xylitol.

Doesn't sound like they have too much info. on why/if grapes are really bad.

wackymother

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score

Dogs are omnivores too. Cats are carnivores.

http://web-dvm.net/dogs-are-omnivores-and-should-be-fed-as-such/

I don't know why dogs are not able to eat all these foods that humans eat, though....