• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Does your credit score drop without a mortgage

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVR, SDO, WKORV-N, Westin Flex, HGVC (BLVD)
Does anyone know if your credit score drops when a mortgage is paid off?

I just got an alert from Transunion saying my score dropped from 894 to 845 (we use a 900 point scale in Canada for some reason).

The only change I can see is that we no longer have a mortgage reporting. We just transferred our mortgage to a new bank, the old one is showing as paid/closed, but the new one isn’t showing up yet - probably because it hasn’t been reported by the new bank.

50 points seems to be a pretty steep drop for having less debt. Has my creditworthiness gone down that much?

geekette

Reaction score
It's a crapshoot. There is no rhyme nor reason to why mine has been bouncing around this year. I am not doing anything new nor extraordinary.

I expect to gain points on a satisfied loan. I would be unhappy losing points in a refi, etc., but overall it doesn't make a lot of difference to my life. My best guess in your situation is that the ratio of debt outstanding vs debt available has changed, with debt available number shrinking while outstanding is same.

The more likely possibility, however, is that you got dinged on credit inquiries. The whole system is whack. What is the point to having a credit history to evaluate if you get dinged for it being evaluated?? I look forward to living my life in cash form only and let my credit rating drop to nothing from not using it...

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
My credit score went up when they paid off my mortgage in my recent sale/new purchase. I expect it will drop again when the new mortgage registers. But as @geekette says, credit inquiries probably caused the score to drop in between. I'd give it a month or two to settle out and see if it doesn't stabilize. To my mind, a credit score is only valuable when seeking new credit. If you aren't doing that, over a few months it should seek its new level.

Dave

Last edited:

JudyH

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
No, we were 850 forever without mortgages. DH dropped one of his many credit cards and it dropped a bit.

geekette

Reaction score
No, we were 850 forever without mortgages. DH dropped one of his many credit cards and it dropped a bit.
That's nuts. You are incredibly credit worthy, until you decide to not use it ...

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
Ours didn't drop after we paid off our mortgage about 5 years ago.

Kurt

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
That's nuts. You are incredibly credit worthy, until you decide to not use it ...
It has to do with the ratio of used credit to available credit. When you close an account, the available credit (denominator) decreases, which then increases the ratio. That is why if you are really concerned about you credit score, you should never close an account, just quit using it. Crazy, but if you know the rules, you can game the system.

Kurt

x3 skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
Having a score in the 800’s means you get the best rate IMNSHO. Mine fluctuates in that area and it never has affected my rates that I can tell.

Cheers

geekette

Reaction score
It has to do with the ratio of used credit to available credit. When you close an account, the available credit (denominator) decreases, which then increases the ratio. That is why if you are really concerned about you credit score, you should never close an account, just quit using it. Crazy, but if you know the rules, you can game the system.

Kurt
right, I mentioned that above. But at 850, it's ridiculous. Still, algorithms do what algorithms are designed to do .... you are right that the key is using that static process to your benefit.

Janann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC on the Boulevard, Las Vegas;
Disney's Saratoga Springs
Do you have any car loans or other installment debt? If you don't, then your ability to make payments of a fixed amount for a long period of time is (from a technical standpoint) unknown. Lenders want to know that you can make payments long term, not just small credit card payments here and there. It sounds harsh, but it is the way that the credit scoring models are set up.

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
My credit score went up when they paid off my mortgage in my recent sale/new purchase. I expect it will drop again when the new mortgage registers. But as @geekette says, credit inquiries probably caused the score to drop in between. I'd give it a month or two to settle out and see if it doesn't stabilize. To my mind, a credit score is only valuable when seeking new credit. If you aren't doing that, over a few months it should seek its new level.

Dave

No new inquiries with Transunion since September 2019. I checked Equifax and bank did a pull there for the mortgage in July, but nothing else. Only three inquiries in the past two years total. Not planning on needing credit anytime soon - just hurts my pride more than anything:(. I just really have the credit score monitor there as a point of interest and as protection against identity theft. The score has always seemed to bounce between 880 and 896 for the past two years since I've had it. 50 points was a big drop!

Do you have any car loans or other installment debt? If you don't, then your ability to make payments of a fixed amount for a long period of time is (from a technical standpoint) unknown. Lenders want to know that you can make payments long term, not just small credit card payments here and there. It sounds harsh, but it is the way that the credit scoring models are set up.

I have one installment loan for our car which was a 0% deal. Only 11 payments to go on that. Credit history goes back 23 years with 0 late payments or other derogatories. Only real debt besides the credit cards (paid off monthly) is a line of credit I took out last fall for our kitchen reno.

Kurt

This would make sense - we had about 43% of our mortgage paid off. I guess that took a big chunk of what was showing as available credit off the table. I'll see what happens when the new mortgage gets reported.

Janann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC on the Boulevard, Las Vegas;
Disney's Saratoga Springs
I just got an alert from Transunion saying my score dropped from 894 to 845 (we use a 900 point scale in Canada for some reason).

You can rest assured that because you started with such a high score, this "drop" is not going to impact your ability to get the best rates and terms from a lender. Don't worry about it.

I work in the lending industry in the U.S. with a scale that tops out at 850. A 50 point drop from 850 to 800 would have zero impact on getting the best deal.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Did you maybe have a credit card account close because of non-use? Sometimes I’ve had card accounts closed by the company because I hadn’t used the card.

Dave

Brett

Reaction score
You can rest assured that because you started with such a high score, this "drop" is not going to impact your ability to get the best rates and terms from a lender. Don't worry about it.

I work in the lending industry in the U.S. with a scale that tops out at 850. A 50 point drop from 850 to 800 would have zero impact on getting the best deal.

I agree. I also worked for banks. - in a another life a long time ago ;)

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
We paid off our mortgages, but our scores are still stellar becuz we have...
a car loan, CC accounts as old as the hills (a long time), and only use ~5%.

Besides reducing available credit (increasing debt to credit ratio), closing
an account can also reduce types of credit and length of credit history.

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Did you maybe have a credit card account close because of non-use? Sometimes I’ve had card accounts closed by the company because I hadn’t used the card.

Dave
No. All are still open. One of my hotel cards hasn’t had a balance for several months (for obvious reasons) - but it is still active on the report. Oh well, I’ll just live with this and see how long it takes to go back up. No immediate needs for financing fortunately.

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
We paid off our mortgage a few years ago and the main thing we saw was that we were turned down for a $5000 auto loan on a used car about two years later because we didn't have "recent installment payments." (Our credit score had dropped a bit but was still hovering around 780-800 at the time.) But that car dealer was extremely sketchy anyway.

A 50-point drop because you paid off your mortgage seems very odd. Can you call the credit reporting agency? Maybe there is some other problem.

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A 50-point drop because you paid off your mortgage seems very odd. Can you call the credit reporting agency? Maybe there is some other problem.
Probably not worth my time to follow-up with them. I did pull the actual report, the only thing really different has been the mortgage now showing as paid. I'll see if it changes when the new mortgage gets reported.

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
Probably not worth my time to follow-up with them. I did pull the actual report, the only thing really different has been the mortgage now showing as paid. I'll see if it changes when the new mortgage gets reported.

If you pulled the report, you're probably good. Anything really wrong should have showed up there.