• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Does your credit card cover rental car accidents?

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DRI: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
For many years I never had an accident with a rental car. This year I had my first. I cut a corner too tight on a narrow road with a rock wall. I heard a crunch, and this was the damage.
2023-02-08 18.39.10.jpg

Just got the estimate from the rental agency, $2600. It doesn't seem unreasonable since 3 panels were damaged and were starting to rust 7 days later when I returned the car (in Kauai). Fortunately, my the insurance for my car at home covered everything except the deductible, and my credit card covered the deductible. I won't owe a thing except perhaps an increase in my premium. I've probably saved a great deal over the years by not paying extra for the rental agency's optional insurance. If you have a credit card that covers rental car accidents, be sure to use it when you rent a car.

lockewong

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club, Marriott Kauai Beach Club, West 57th, The Central at 5th, HGVC Bay Club, Tahoe Seasons
Wow. I think the Chase Sapphire Reserve covers that. But, I had an issue when I rented a car to tour colleges with my daughter in unfamiliar territory. Use AMEX or Chase Sapphire but check the coverage first. I took out a right view mirror once and it cost mega-bucks since I waived the insurance.

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
I hit a deer and cut it too close to a concrete support in a garage on one 30-day rental. Total repair cost was $860 (which I thought was extraordinarily reasonable), so I just paid it without filing a claim (that would undoubtedly increase my insurance premium beyond all reason) and getting my credit card company involved.

Soon after, I received an offer through my AMEX card for full, primary coverage for each rental for $19.99 up to a 30-day rental. $860 pays for a lot of $19.99 rentals, so I signed up. Now I just charge my car rental to my AMEX card and consider the $19.99 money well spent. I have yet to file a claim (fortunately), so I cannot comment on that part the agreement.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
There are a few cards out there that offer primary CDW coverage. Meaning you don't need to run it through your own auto insurance first.

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
I had an accident just over a year ago, in a snow storm I slid into an 18 wheeler on the Highway. The damage was so bad that they wrote off the car. I had used my Chase Sapphire Reserve, and they paid the entire bill. CSR CDW is considered primary insurance. Some CCs only offer secondary coverage.

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
There are a few cards out there that offer primary CDW coverage. Meaning you don't need to run it through your own auto insurance first.
Check the fine print. Many credit card coverage is only for up to a 14-day rental.

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DRI: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
And the renter is immediately responsible for "out of service time" charges.
Not with National. I reported the accident the day it happened, and they didn't charge me more than the original rate. I didn't get the estimate for repairs until over a month after I returned the car. The estimate included administrative and "out of service time" charges.

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not with National. I reported the accident the day it happened, and they didn't charge me more than the original rate. I didn't get the estimate for repairs until over a month after I returned the car. The estimate included administrative and "out of service time" charges.
I was not billed for "out of service" charges for my Enterprise accident. People still need to understand what they are getting in to when declining the rental insurance and relying on their credit card/personal car insurance. Not all rental companies are so "gracious."

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Check the fine print. Many credit card coverage is only for up to a 14-day rental.
I think our United Explorer is 30 days. Something I noticed when renting with Alamo for 35 days was that they actually broke the contract up into 30 days then another contract for 5 days. Budget didn't seem to do the same.

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
That isn't correct. Many (most?) secondary credit card CDW coverages cover loss of use. You need to read through the terms of your CC CDW coverage.
It is not that it is not covered; it is when the bill comes due (immediately). It may take some time for the renter to be reimbursed for "loss of use" charges, if it is covered by their credit card.

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
That isn't correct. Many (most?) secondary credit card CDW coverages cover loss of use. You need to read through the terms of your CC CDW coverage.
One popular example of where you are wrong:

Discover​

Discover

Discover cards limit CDW coverage to $25,000 and don’t cover loss of use fees.

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
One example of where you are wrong:

Discover​

Discover

Not wrong at all. I didn't say ALL. It seems that the Discover card coverage is garbage. And can you post a bigger image? Good grief!

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Discover

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
As others have, stated read the fine print in your rental agreement to know what is and isn't covered. For my VISA card:

• In the US, the card coverage is secondary to my personal insurance.
  • Outside the US, the card coverage is primary, except .....
  • there are some countries where no coverage is provided. Ireland, Israel, and Mexico are among the countries where the card provides no coverage.
  • Loss of use is included, where not covered by primary insurance.
  • Coverage is only provided when you decline all coverages offered by the car rental company.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
It is not that it is not covered; it is when the bill comes due (immediately). It may take some time for the renter to be reimbursed for "loss of use" charges, if it is covered by their credit card.
Generally, for most CDW claims, it isn't a pay and reimburse. You usually submit paperwork to the processing company and they take care of the rest.

BJRSanDiego

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
About 4 years ago, while on Maui, someone damaged my rental car when parked. No witnesses - - just some damage that I noticed after-the-fact. IIRC, something under $1K. My credit card covered most of the damage. But I ended up having to submit about 45 pages of documents. That included some rental car contract documents that I didn't originally receive (and had to have sent to me). It seemed to be hurdle after hurdle. Three or four times I thought that I had provided everything that they wanted and .... then they demanded yet more documentation. I suspect that they were trying to wear me down. But in the end, the credit card covered the majority of the claim. My own insurance paid $7.

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I received an offer through my AMEX card for full, primary coverage for each rental for $19.99 up to a 30-day rental. $860 pays for a lot of $19.99 rentals, so I signed up. Now I just charge my car rental to my AMEX card and consider the $19.99 money well spent. I have yet to file a claim (fortunately), so I cannot comment on that part the agreement.

This is what I’ve done for a very long time. It’s just $17.95 for California residents, and I pay it each time I rent.

I had an AMEX claim long ago when in the UK, before I had the premium insurance option, and they paid it all and simply told me to charge the fee on the card and they would credit an equal amount, and that’s what happened. It couldn’t have been easier.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The Colorado Kid

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Riverfront
Christie Lodge
Apollo Park
Grand Timber Lodge
Indian Palms
Massanutten
Park Regency
Valdoro Mountain Lodge
Marriott Surfwatch
TURO car rental - any ideas on if credit cards would cover damage?

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis

I last looked into this about six months ago, and they will not cover Turo. They don’t consider it a car rental company.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
The fact that most Turo rentals are between two individuals and not a car rental agency disqualifies them from coverage. But I noticed that some of the car rentals in Kauai were actually through a local agency so I was unsure if they would be covered. My price dropped low enough that I didn't pursue it any further.

Carolinian

TUG Member
Reaction score
Most of my car rentals have been overseas, not in the US, and I have only had two damage incidents. One was in France, where someone broke out a back window to steal a light jacket I had left in the backseat overnight. I spent a good part of a morning at the police station waiting for someone who spoke enough English to take the police report I needed. The other was during a timeshare vacation on Corfu where a Greek who had been drinking ran into the rear of my rental car, doing substantial damage, leaving it drivable but just barely. The rental agency office on Corfu swapped out the car for another and then I drove the replacement car back to turn it in at the Athens airport at the end of the rental period.

I rented both on Amex, and other than turning in the police reports, there was little I had to do, and no deposits waiting on insurance payments from Amex. The rental counter at Athens said it was lucky I used Amex because they did require deposits with some credit card coverage. I later dropped Amex because 1) I quit flying DL when they screwed up SkyMiles and DL miles were what Amex earned, and 2) it was either totally impossible or almost impossible to use Amex in the countries I was working in. I saw no reason to keep paying the Amex annual fee. My corporate card from my employer was Amex, but that was also useless.

I researched my other credit cards to use the best one for subsequent rentals, but I have never had any further damage to cars.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
We found out that our credit card coverage covered everything when we had a small fender bender in Canada. It would not have covered if it has been in the USA. We did have to pay out of pocket, but then we were reimbursed for the full amount.