• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Does trip insurance cover expired passport delay

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
One of our relatives just realized his passport is expired. He had to get it renewed but he missed his flight by a day. I wonder if trip insurance covers this. Anyone know ?

Bill

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
No expert, but i think not, as that's not related to unforeseen occurrence. some cover passport theft documented with police report.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
They could call the insurance claim number and ask. I would have my doubts because this person (or someone) would have had to type their passport number and expiration date into the flight reservation, so it couldn't have been a surprise, but I'm not the claims rep.

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would hope not or it means everyone is paying for their error. My sons passport expires in May and just noticed it while doing the immigration forms to the bahamas. After we return have two weeks before going to Canada (where the passport is from) then a week after to US then back home where they will be inside the 3 month limit by a week.

cp73

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DSV 1
No way, doesn't cover errors and mistakes on your part. Thats a different policy.

geekette

Reaction score
It'd likely have to be an "any reason" policy, but I think even those only pay if you miss entire trip and not just return. File a claim, find out.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
No. The trip insurance didn't cover the missed flight. My brother in law had to pay about $300 for the expedited passport and another $350 for air fare. He only missed one day of the adventures.i didn't know you could get these passports so fast.

Bill

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
It sure would be nice if they had insurance to cover stupidity.
I bet a lot of folks would qualify for the dumb-ass loss clause.
I would, more than once.

Last edited:

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
No. The trip insurance didn't cover the missed flight. My brother in law had to pay about $300 for the expedited passport and another $350 for air fare. He only missed one day of the adventures.i didn't know you could get these passports so fast.
Paula sez she didn't know anyone could be so oblivious that they booked international travel with an expired passport.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Paula sez she didn't know anyone could be so oblivious that they booked international travel with an expired passport.
I booked the flight using one of our Alaska Airlines companion fares and my brother in law realized his passport was expired when he was checking in online the day before the flight. I ended up getting the companion certificate back but didn't know this until he was trying to head home. His return ticket was cancelled. They decided to stay another three days. He bought a ticket for himself and paid to change his wife's ticket. I'm guessing he spent a bunch of money but definitely had a blast. He also forgot his swimming shorts and underware, lol.

Bill

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It sure would be nice if they had insurance to cover stupidity.
I bet a lot of folks would qualify for the dumb-ass loss clause.
I would, more than once.

He is actually very intelligent when it comes to most things. He is an engineer at Intel. The problem was caused by too many people making travel plans without him. Nothing that some money couldn't fix.

Bill

Bill