• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Does This Make Any Sense - Consolidated Fees PDF From Abound Contest

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I was looking at the PDF that is linked in the Abound Contest this week and noticed this small print. I can't figure out what it means;
Effective for the 2023 Use Year, VSN members will pay VSN Network Membership Fees and the usage fees identified which will include a Master Exchange fee. Other fees, such as Interval International External Exchange fees, will still apply. Vistana® Owners who are not VSN members will continue to be charged split housekeeping and cancellation fees.

Does anyone have any ideas? Does this apply to those mandatory owners who opt out? Also, how can Vistana owners not in VSN be charged split housekeeping and cancellation fees? If you own a 2BR lock off, you can reserve each half as your home resort without paying any HK. I am also not aware of any resorts that have a cancellation fee for home resort usage. Perhaps it only applies to Flex programs?

kozykritter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Flex, MVC Points, Worldmark
I was looking at the PDF that is linked in the Abound Contest this week and noticed this small print. I can't figure out what it means;
Effective for the 2023 Use Year, VSN members will pay VSN Network Membership Fees and the usage fees identified which will include a Master Exchange fee. Other fees, such as Interval International External Exchange fees, will still apply. Vistana® Owners who are not VSN members will continue to be charged split housekeeping and cancellation fees.

Does anyone have any ideas? Does this apply to those mandatory owners who opt out? Also, how can Vistana owners not in VSN be charged split housekeeping and cancellation fees? If you own a 2BR lock off, you can reserve each half as your home resort without paying any HK. I am also not aware of any resorts that have a cancellation fee for home resort usage. Perhaps it only applies to Flex programs?
We need to ask someone that owns a flex product that is not in the VSN. When they make more than one reservation per year on a contract, are they charged additional housekeeping fees? And when they cancel a reservation 60 days or less before check-in, have they been charged a cancellation fee? Even though they are home options, because they allow multiple reservations on one contract these things might apply.

I would guess the term split housekeeping means they split their contract usage up into more than one reservation so their housekeeping allowance was split among several reservations and each of those additional ones would have a fee.

Last edited:

DanCali

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana, Marriott, DVC
They also listed a 3rd party guest fee of $59 for 5-Star Elite crossed out as no longer applicable under the new fee structure. But 5-Star Elite did not pay the $59 fee. The 5-Star guest fee was one "freebie" per VOI per year, and then $39 for subsequent guest fees. The $59 is something that never got charged.

I think that pdf was prepared by someone not fully familiar with the intricate details.

Venter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Club Son Antem, Marriott's Lakeshore Reserve, Marriott Vacation Club @ Los Suenos, MVC points, Sheraton Lakeside Terrace, Sheraton Flex, Westin Flex, Aventuras
Before requalifying and being in VSN/Abound as a voluntary Flex owner, outside VSN, I did have to pay additional housekeeping fees. I cannot remember if it was after the second booking though.

daviator

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKORVN, WDW, Westin FLEX, Marriott's MOC, Abound (Trust) Points
They also listed a 3rd party guest fee of $59 for 5-Star Elite crossed out as no longer applicable under the new fee structure. But 5-Star Elite did not pay the $59 fee. The 5-Star guest fee was one "freebie" per VOI per year, and then $39 for subsequent guest fees. The $59 is something that never got charged.

I think that pdf was prepared by someone not fully familiar with the intricate details.
It also shows the Bonvoy conversion fee as applicable for elite owners, which it is and was not. That whole chart of the supposed savings with the new Club Dues is super deceptive because several parts of it are just plain untrue.

DanCali

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana, Marriott, DVC
It also shows the Bonvoy conversion fee as applicable for elite owners, which it is and was not. That whole chart of the supposed savings with the new Club Dues is super deceptive because several parts of it are just plain untrue.

Same for SO banking fee, which was free for 5-Star (unlimited times per year).

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Sheraton Broadway Plantation non vsn owners have an option to split week into a 4/3 or 5/2 for a fee, I think at 90 days.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
Am I going to have to pay a lockoff fee for my SBP, SDO and Desert Willow lockoff units to Vistana for II deposits and for reserving to use? They are deeded as lockoffs. How can Marriott change the rules?

daviator

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Am I going to have to pay a lockoff fee for my SBP, SDO and Desert Willow lockoff units to Vistana for II deposits and for reserving to use? They are deeded as lockoffs. How can Marriott change the rules?
Lockoff fee? There are no lockoff fees with Vistana. Never have been. I think MVC may charge those fees but I don't think they are able to charge Vistana owners.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
Lockoff fee? There are no lockoff fees with Vistana. Never have been. I think MVC may charge those fees but I don't think they are able to charge Vistana owners.
I think Marriott might attempt to change the rules. Years ago, Vistana/ Sheraton decided that we would have to pay guest confirmation fees to add anyone other than deeded owners to weeks. They walked that back within days after many TUG members pointed out that the documentation of the rules says guests can be added with no fee.

I think it was @tschwa2 who found it in the documents online and posted it for us.

daviator

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I think Marriott might attempt to change the rules. Years ago, Vistana/ Sheraton decided that we would have to pay guest confirmation fees to add anyone other than deeded owners to weeks. They walked that back within days after many TUG members pointed out that the documentation of the rules says guests can be added with no fee.

I think it was @tschwa2 who found it in the documents online and posted it for us.
Yes, I remember that well.

But I am pretty certain that our deeds allow lockoff without cost. I don't expect that MVC could get away with changing that, and I'd be pretty surprised if they tried. But I'll admit that I haven't gone and searched for that info in the deed and contracts (@dioxide45 now has my big thick small-print book with all of that info for WKORV, lol...) If it ISN'T a right granted to us in the deed or contract, then I certainly wouldn't put it past them to try to change the rules to our detriment.

regatta333

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Long Wharf, Wyndham points, Vistana Westin Kierland
Before requalifying and being in VSN/Abound as a voluntary Flex owner, outside VSN, I did have to pay additional housekeeping fees. I cannot remember if it was after the second booking though.
The consolidated fees chart does not have anything about housekeeping fees. At what point do you start to incur housekeeping fees? Does it vary with status achieved or is it applicable universally?

kozykritter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The consolidated fees chart does not have anything about housekeeping fees. At what point do you start to incur housekeeping fees? Does it vary with status achieved or is it applicable universally?
From the Vistana FAQs:

Will annual Club Dues for Abound usage cover housekeeping fees for stays that exceed the one housekeeping allotment in my annual maintenance fees?

• Yes, for reservations made on or after January 1, 2023.
And again in this FAQ:

When Club Dues are paid and there has not been an opt-out, the following VSN fees will be eliminated:
  • Additional housekeeping fees associated with multiple reservations (over and above the one housekeeping fee included in your maintenance fee)

kozykritter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC charges them to their deeded week owners not enrolled in the club membership. Those enrolled in the Destination Club (now called Abound) don't pay them.

regatta333

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Long Wharf, Wyndham points, Vistana Westin Kierland
So if I make a reservation on the Vistana side, I will still have to pay the housekeeping fee if I run out? I made a reservation this morning and was prompted to acknowledge that additional housekeeping charges would apply to the reservation. Now that I look at the confirmation though, it appears that this may have 3 combined room types.

Night one is listed as VSN PLANT GLDPLS FLO
Night two is listed as SHERATON FLEX POINTS
Nights 3 thru 7 as VSN PLANT GLDPLS FLO

Is this what triggered the extra housekeeping and does this mean that a room change will be required twice?

YYJMSP

TUG Member
Reaction score
So if I make a reservation on the Vistana side, I will still have to pay the housekeeping fee if I run out? I made a reservation this morning and was prompted to acknowledge that additional housekeeping charges would apply to the reservation. Now that I look at the confirmation though, it appears that this may have 3 combined room types.

Is this what triggered the extra housekeeping and does this mean that a room change will be required twice?

no, you aren't going to move -- it's just telling you what inventory buckets the various nights came from. that shouldn't directly trigger anything...

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA

For Abound enrolled VOIs, there won't be any Housekeeping fees. In the past, if you had more reservations than VOIs, then each additional reservation beyond the number of VOIs owned would incure a housekeeping fee. A lock off unit would provide for two housekeeping credits.