• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Does RCI know if I sell my week?

flybefree

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am most likely selling our EOY week timeshare, but I am thinking of keeping my RCI weeks membership for a little while after all our TPUs are gone to book extra vacations if I'm still getting value out of those. When the new owner of my week creates their own RCI membership or adds my floating week to theirs, does RCI know it was mine and that I no longer am a timeshare owner? Or do they just think I decided not to do my next deposit? Is there a time period after my TPUs are all gone that they ask and then boot me upon learning I don't own it? Or do they care, as long as I pay the membership fee? I know that with points, you have to transfer that membership in order for the new order to keep it in points. But I don't *think* it works that way with weeks. Can anyone clarify?

Thanks!

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
I am most likely selling our EOY week timeshare, but I am thinking of keeping my RCI weeks membership for a little while after all our TPUs are gone to book extra vacations if I'm still getting value out of those. When the new owner of my week creates their own RCI membership or adds my floating week to theirs, does RCI know it was mine and that I no longer am a timeshare owner? Or do they just think I decided not to do my next deposit? Is there a time period after my TPUs are all gone that they ask and then boot me upon learning I don't own it? Or do they care, as long as I pay the membership fee? I know that with points, you have to transfer that membership in order for the new order to keep it in points. But I don't *think* it works that way with weeks. Can anyone clarify?

Thanks!

Yes you can keep the membership. Some people keep their RCI account even after they sell their timeshare just to be able book the sale weeks and last call weeks. We have 3 resale point weeks and never had anyone's RCI account transferred to us. If the seller's week is a points week the buyer has to open a points account if they don't already have one. That costs $224 but if the buyer already has a points account it only costs $99 to add another deed to their existing points account. Transferring the account with selling a timeshare is an option if both the seller and buyer want to do that. The seller fills out the MTA papers to transfer the account and pays $98. If the seller has a year or even several years paid up on the membership fees that will transfer with the account also. If the seller or buyer wanted to take the week out of points that can be done in a separate process. We've seen people here on TUG talk about doing that because they don't know what they're doing and don't realize how expensive it will be to get the week back into points. Some people figure they will save themselves the annual RCI membership fee and just use their week to save a few bucks. Down the road if they ever want to sell or get rid of their week there is a much greater demand for points weeks than fixed weeks. I guess they've never used the sale weeks or last call weeks.

flybefree

TUG Member
Reaction score
When we sell our points one, we will be transferring the points membership itself but keeping our banked points, which RCI has already confirmed we can do.

Thanks for confirming we can keep the weeks membership. A few resorts I favorited suddenly do not have any exchanges available, only extra vacations. It's quite infuriating.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
.... If the seller or buyer wanted to take the week out of points that can be done in a separate process. We've seen people here on TUG talk about doing that because they don't know what they're doing and don't realize how expensive it will be to get the week back into points. Some people figure they will save themselves the annual RCI membership fee and just use their week to save a few bucks. Down the road if they ever want to sell or get rid of their week there is a much greater demand for points weeks than fixed weeks. I guess they've never used the sale weeks or last call weeks.

There can be a rational explanation for taking a week out of RCI Points. I’m thinking about doing that with a decent trader I have with a low $/point MF and using it as a Wyndham PIC Plus week instead in order to optimize my holdings. Right now I get 137,000 points per year with it as a 4 BR LO in RCI; if I pick up another one and PIC both of them I have to take them out of points, but will achieve Wyndham gold status (I’m Silver there now) and would be able to use the 254,000 Wyndham points from one of them to exchange in RCI Points through Wyndham. Granted the point values are different, but if you use an ownership to exchange instead of staying in your home week, which is the major reason for having it in points, there may be more optimal approaches than the RCI Points route. You do have to do the math and figure it out, of course.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
If you are transferring the RCI points account and your previous deposit was in your "free" weeks account and you want to keep that account, you will need to make arrangements with RCI to start paying for the weeks account.

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
There can be a rational explanation for taking a week out of RCI Points. I’m thinking about doing that with a decent trader I have with a low $/point MF and using it as a Wyndham PIC Plus week instead in order to optimize my holdings. Right now I get 137,000 points per year with it as a 4 BR LO in RCI; if I pick up another one and PIC both of them I have to take them out of points, but will achieve Wyndham gold status (I’m Silver there now) and would be able to use the 254,000 Wyndham points from one of them to exchange in RCI Points through Wyndham. Granted the point values are different, but if you use an ownership to exchange instead of staying in your home week, which is the major reason for having it in points, there may be more optimal approaches than the RCI Points route. You do have to do the math and figure it out, of course.

We had a points week in PIC with Wyndham until our resort sold out to a developer in 2014. We were told that any year we wanted to use as Wyndham points we had to book the week 12? months out and do the paperwork to get the Wyndham points for it. Not that we were permanently taking the week out of points. It is my understanding from what OP said that you just have to have the week enrolled in PIC for it to count towards VIP status, you don't actually have to deposit the week into Wyndham points of you don't want to. However we didn't have a PIC Express week either and that might be done differently. Or the entire PIC program could have changed in the more than 10 years since we enrolled the week we had.

If you know you will want to use your PIC week as Wyndham points every year it would be easier to take the week out of points and not have to go through the hassle every year.

brianfox

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai x3
Can't speak for RCI, but II definitely does NOT know when you sell a unit. I sold a Marriott week about 6 years ago and it's still on my II account.

flybefree

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you are transferring the RCI points account and your previous deposit was in your "free" weeks account and you want to keep that account, you will need to make arrangements with RCI to start paying for the weeks account.

Well, yes, I know that. It's cheaper than a points membership, so that's an extra savings.

chriskre

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC- SSR, Poly,
Wyndham Las Cascadas
HGVC Tuscany Village
Bluegreen CMV UDI
RCI pts at VVParkway
Enchanted Isle resort.
Both II and RCI still have a week listed as available to deposit that I sold years ago.
I've even told them to delete it but it's still there.
I don't do anything with it so I think you are good to go.
Just don't try to do anything with it obviously but I am sure they are happy to
let you keep paying your membership fees.

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
We have an RCI Weeks account. Have kept the same account since the 1980’s. We don’t have it affiliated with our resorts. We have the original member number that they assigned. We have always used this and when our original timeshare was kicked out of RCI, we stayed in because we bought and maintained the membership on our own. We notified RCI when we no longer had the week and when we added new timeshares to our account.
As long as you maintain the account by keeping membership current RCI account is available to use.
Silentg

JudiZ

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
On June 11, I received this email:

"I am contacting you because our records show your RCI membership is active; however, you have not yet deposited your 2018 week(s) into your RCI account.
If you will not be using your 2018 week(s) and would like to deposit, please call the reservations department for" XXXXXXX ,"and make your reservation for 2018. You may then, call or email me with the unit number and check-in date, so I can deposit your week into your RCI account. My contact number is below.
Once I hear from you, I will personally follow up with your resort to get your week processed and approved right away so you may start planning your next vacation!
*****If you no longer own here, please let me know, and I will update our records.*****
Please let me know if you have any questions or if I can be of further assistance. Have a wonderful day!
Kind Regards"

We gave this week away a couple of years ago. Actually loved this week but couldn't use it for reasons too numerous to name. I did let RCI know we didn't own it but found this remarkable after the time elapsed.

I think that RCI does not keep records on what you own and don't own. I know for certain that II doesn't but, honestly, I enjoy the simple, and I mean simple, pleasure of being recognized as an owner at a large-chain, big-name resort. "Oh, Mrs. Z., thank you for visiting us again! Please have this token of our appreciation." Usually a water bottle with the brand logo. Monetary value=50 cents. I have called II a dozen times over the years and think I have spent more time trying to disconnect than this is worth. For the record, letting go of that particular week remains one of my biggest timeshare regrets. Perhaps this is karma. :)

JudiZ

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
I got the same email from an Oliver Milton at RCI, wanting me to deposit.

I replied and told him I would be using it myself since RCI fees and my maint fees have gone up so much I no longer want to exchange. I added that I am only interested in RCI last calls and cash rentals.

I gave the unit away last year...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro