• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Does Marriott eff unit always have 21-day preference?

Jwerking

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach Club, Marriott Summit Watch, Port of Call (HHI), Mayan Palace
I have been playing around online today on II for the first time in a long time using some of my Marriott weeks. Is the II system still glitchy and does not show everything online - (this use to be a problem) ??

I have a Marriott summit watch week (gold) that I have locked-off. If I search with the 1Br side I can see units at the Marriott Aruba for Sept to Nov 06 - not exactly high demand weeks in the hurrciane season- quite a few of these were the lock-off studio side. But I cannot see any of these Marriott weeks including the studios when I search using the Lock-off side of our Summit Watch week. Is this a glitch in their online system? Would the same thing happen if I start a search?

Also, does the II online system allow you to search more than the 10 week window allowed by RCI's online system?

I am confused - the II system is alot diff from the RCI system. Also, so much less availablity for searches in advance. There were a few weeks available for the Whistler area in summer 2007 in one resort, while RCI has tons of weeks. Perhaps mostly in 1 br or smaller units because most of the 2 br are taken - but alot more than the one lonely II resort and I don't even think it was in Whistler itself.

Bill4728

Reaction score
There were a few weeks available for the Whistler area in summer 2007 in one resort, while RCI has tons of weeks. Perhaps mostly in 1 br or smaller units because most of the 2 br are taken - but alot more than the one lonely II resort and I don't even think it was in Whistler itself.

II will have very few whistler exchanges because there are very, very few II whistler resorts. The biggest TS company in Whistler is Whiskey Jack and they are 100% RCI. The next three TS companies Club Intrawest, Worldmark and Mountainside lodge all are dual affliated and push their members toward RCI. Also, these developers put none of their own weeks into II. This leaves only a very few TS rooms available with II even for the very best II trading weeks.

tompk

TUG Member
Reaction score
Using a gold week to search you may only see gold weeks except in the 59 day flexchange window. Then you should see everything. I can't say for sure as I don't own gold, just plat. I do know that there are some plat 2 br units I can't see with my 1 br plat unit in an online search.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Jwerking said:
I have been playing around online today on II for the first time in a long time using some of my Marriott weeks. Is the II system still glitchy and does not show everything online - (this use to be a problem) ??

I have a Marriott summit watch week (gold) that I have locked-off. If I search with the 1Br side I can see units at the Marriott Aruba for Sept to Nov 06 - not exactly high demand weeks in the hurrciane season- quite a few of these were the lock-off studio side. But I cannot see any of these Marriott weeks including the studios when I search using the Lock-off side of our Summit Watch week. Is this a glitch in their online system? Would the same thing happen if I start a search?

Also, does the II online system allow you to search more than the 10 week window allowed by RCI's online system?

I am confused - the II system is alot diff from the RCI system. Also, so much less availablity for searches in advance. There were a few weeks available for the Whistler area in summer 2007 in one resort, while RCI has tons of weeks. Perhaps mostly in 1 br or smaller units because most of the 2 br are taken - but alot more than the one lonely II resort and I don't even think it was in Whistler itself.
The mistake I think you are making is that I think you're assuming if a week is there, you are supposed to see it with another Marriott. That is not the case as II works on the principle of like for like using resort quality AND trade power. Thus exactly what you want may be there, may not be given to you and then may be given to a non Marriott II member.

Jwerking

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach Club, Marriott Summit Watch, Port of Call (HHI), Mayan Palace
Dean said:
The mistake I think you are making is that I think you're assuming if a week is there, you are supposed to see it with another Marriott. That is not the case as II works on the principle of like for like using resort quality AND trade power. Thus exactly what you want may be there, may not be given to you and then may be given to a non Marriott II member.

But I am talking hurricane season in Aruba - this is their lowest season there. I am just talking about a studio for a studio - not even trying to trade up in size - gee, I am using a gold week - which is a red week.

Before II made the recent change in the online system, you could use ACs to obtain these hurricane season weeks in the Marriott Aruba - even use to see 2 BRs quite often. So don't understand why I cannot even see a size for size. Don't think I am asking for alot here. Why did I buy Marriott if I cannot even get this trade.

Dave M

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
There is no hurricane season in Aruba. That's outside of the hurricane belt.

Also, if you really want that exchange, you are much more likely to get it if you enter an ongoing search.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Jwerking said:
But I am talking hurricane season in Aruba - this is their lowest season there. I am just talking about a studio for a studio - not even trying to trade up in size - gee, I am using a gold week - which is a red week.

Before II made the recent change in the online system, you could use ACs to obtain these hurricane season weeks in the Marriott Aruba - even use to see 2 BRs quite often. So don't understand why I cannot even see a size for size. Don't think I am asking for alot here. Why did I buy Marriott if I cannot even get this trade.
I think you are underestimating the demand for Aruba during Gold season. One red is not the same as another and one Gold is also not the same as another. But you may want to contact II to see if they have your info correct in the system to make sure. Good luck.

JBRES1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Studio for studio

The one thing that you are not taking into account is the value of a studio in Utah vs a studio in Aruba.
II places a value on your deposit and you will only see units that yours has enough juice to pull.
My brother owns at the desert springs Villas 2 ( blue / summer week), and I sometimes shop with his week to see what it will pull vs either my Platinum or Gold Ocean Pointe weeks. Often I can pull more units with my studios than I can with his studio. I'm sure that II puts a higher demand value on a beach winter or summer week than they do for a summer desert week.
Last summer I set up a family reunion in Williamsburg , got 6 units for the week. I needed to use a 1 bdr side of my brothers unit for a 2 bdr Manor Club,couldn't see any using his studio side. .I was able to get 2 (2 Bdr) units with 2 of my studio weeks from Ocean Pointe. This kinda shows that II values each resort and weeks deposited to assign some sort of trade point value.
If nothing else, look up the cost on the Marriott site to see what rentals cost in each area. Park City Studio =$139.00 per night, Aruba goes for $279.00 per night. even the Marriott values Aruba studios more that Park city.
Jim breslin

Big Matt

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'll bet you will find similar experiences in searching for other high demand resorts. My guess is that your studio just doesn't have the trading power.

Jwerking

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
JBRES1 said:
The one thing that you are not taking into account is the value of a studio in Utah vs a studio in Aruba.
II places a value on your deposit and you will only see units that yours has enough juice to pull.
My brother owns at the desert springs Villas 2 ( blue / summer week), WHAT DOES BLUE MEAN? and I sometimes shop with his week to see what it will pull vs either my Platinum or Gold Ocean Pointe weeks. Often I can pull more units with my studios than I can with his studio. I'm sure that II puts a higher demand value on a beach winter or summer week than they do for a summer desert week.
Last summer I set up a family reunion in Williamsburg , got 6 units for the week. I needed to use a 1 bdr side of my brothers unit for a 2 bdr Manor Club,couldn't see any using his studio side. THIS IS MY POINT - A DESERT SUMMER WEEK CAN BE TRADED FOR A HIGH DEMAND SUMMER WEEK EVEN WITH AN UPGRADE TO A LARGER UNIT. GEE, I ONLY WANT A STUDIO FOR A STUDIO - NOT EVEN IN A HIGH DEMAND SEASON .I was able to get 2 (2 Bdr) units with 2 of my studio weeks from Ocean Pointe. GREAT TRADES - SO I SHOULD THINK ABOUT SELLING SUMMIT WATCH AND TRY TO PURCHASE SUMMER BEACH WEEKS WITH MARRIOTT. THE ONLY REASON I PURCHASED SUMMIT WATCH WAS TO TRADE BACK FOR SKI WEEKS - WHICH WORKED A FEW YEARS AGO - BUT I TORE OUT MY KNEE THE FIRST YEAR WE WENT - SO NO MORE SKIING. MAY BE WORTHWHILE TO CONTINUE TO TRY TO TRADE BACK FOR SKI WEEKS AND JUST RENT THEM. BUT I DO NOT WANT TO BE IN THE RENTAL BUSINESS. This kinda shows that II values each resort and weeks deposited to assign some sort of trade point value.
If nothing else, look up the cost on the Marriott site to see what rentals cost in each area. Park City Studio =$139.00 per night, Aruba goes for $279.00 per night. even the Marriott values Aruba studios more that Park city.
Jim breslin

I am not being disagreeable, just trying to figure out the Marriott system and whether is is worthwhile locking off my Summit WAtch unit if it is not good for anything. Please see my comments above in all CAP bold letters.

I am not disagreeing with anyone that a studio summer week in Park City is not high demand - I have seen all the units online including the 2 br units. But is it worst than a studio summer desert week in Desert springs? I guess it must be and would surmise that the reason is because the desert area is close to big metro areas and people can drive there (increasind demand) - where Park City is not and people would have to fly - thus less demand. Both locations have lots of timeshare thus plenty of supply.

Yes, I know Aruba is not officailly in the hurricane belt. My only point is the fall caribbean weeks in general are not in high demand - which is indicated by all the desirable units one can obtained using ACs - including the Marriott ARuba units (unless this is no longer possible now with the new II revamp) and the Royal units in Cancun, etc.

In other words, II would allow an AC to be used to obtain a Marrriott ARuba studio unit before they would allow someone like myself to trade a Marriott studio for a Marriott studio in advance. I do not see this as fair - but if this is the way it is going to be then I need to move on and sell the dog.

So no one sees it as a glitch in the II system? Also, can my II account have a glitch? I can imagine trying to get it researched or reviewed. Any suggestions on that one.

Joyce

jancurious

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Joyce,
I own a gold Summit Watch also. I have to totally agree with Dave. Take your lockoff & deposit it & request your exchange with II (the earlier the better). You will most likely get your exchange.

Jan

JBRES1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Studio trades

OK Joyce,
Who are you really, are you my sister in-law ? I say this because , well my Brother and SIL that I got the trades for into Mountianside using their blue week ( Marriott term for low season week) went there and my SIL blew out her right knee the first day /first run.
Somebody hit her from behind as she was zipping her coat and putting gloves on to start school as she was standing with the instructor. It was a hit and run sort of thing.
Now for your week at Summit watch, you may need to deposit the entire 2 bdr unit and only get one exchange with the unit. Your gold studio may be too low on the trading scale to make spliting your unit up into 2 parts.
Jim Breslin

GrayFal

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
Jwerking said:
Yes, I know Aruba is not officailly in the hurricane belt. My only point is the fall caribbean weeks in general are not in high demand - which is indicated by all the desirable units one can obtained using ACs - including the Marriott ARuba units (unless this is no longer possible now with the new II revamp) and the Royal units in Cancun, etc.

In other words, II would allow an AC to be used to obtain a Marrriott ARuba studio unit before they would allow someone like myself to trade a Marriott studio for a Marriott studio in advance. I do not see this as fair - but if this is the way it is going to be then I need to move on and sell the dog.

So no one sees it as a glitch in the II system? Also, can my II account have a glitch? I can imagine trying to get it researched or reviewed. Any suggestions on that one.

Joyce
For what it is worth, my ACs no longer have fall Aruba time on them...I used to be able to book Fall Aruba ahead of time - no more.
Althought the fall is Gold time is Aruba....it is kind of like Fall in Hawaii - less demnd then Platinum but still a LOT more demand then even Platinum at other resorts.

So a gold studio might not see a gold studio in a high demand location....
you might need the 1BR to "see" the studios....
Put the request in and you will almost certainly match a studio for studio...

But it never hurts to call the II Marriott desk and inquire.

Jwerking

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
JBRES1 said:
OK Joyce,
Who are you really, are you my sister in-law ? I say this because , well my Brother and SIL that I got the trades for into Mountianside using their blue week ( Marriott term for low season week) went there and my SIL blew out her right knee the first day /first run.
Somebody hit her from behind as she was zipping her coat and putting gloves on to start school as she was standing with the instructor. It was a hit and run sort of thing.
Now for your week at Summit watch, you may need to deposit the entire 2 bdr unit and only get one exchange with the unit. Your gold studio may be too low on the trading scale to make spliting your unit up into 2 parts.
Jim Breslin

If Blue weeks are trading for high demand ski weeks and high demand summer weeks - then there is someone with a special wand. Wish someone would give all of us the special wand and magic dust.

JBRES1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Special wand

Joyce,
I do the trading for my Brother and his family. (about 1/2 of the time)
I find out where they want to go, then do my thing.
1) they deposit 12 months out at their resort. (most of the time)
2) They put in a request for what they want soon after depositing.
3) I search with my weeks for the areas they are looking at.
4)I check often for what I can see with both of my weeks and their week.
5)I have called II to see if any weeks are available that I don't see online.

I do have to say that my brothers week has gotten him some really good trades so far.
Palm desert 2 times for spring break, Williamsburg in the summer (used 1 bdr side), Ocean Pointe summer 2 times, and Cypress Harbour for spring break(used 1 bdr side).

For me, the hunt for the week is fun. I like to see what I can get in the system, only wish I had the time to use what I find. I only vacation 2 to 3 weeks a year, but plan alot more in my mind.
Jim Breslin

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Jwerking said:
If Blue weeks are trading for high demand ski weeks and high demand summer weeks - then there is someone with a special wand. Wish someone would give all of us the special wand and magic dust.
One possible point of confusion in this discussion is related to the colors. Everyone may be clear but I wanted to be sure. RCI uses the color code blue for their lowest demand. Marriott uses the color code blue for a couple of resort for lower demand time. However, a Marriott Blue week at DSV is still a red II week.

Also, I don't believe we've made the point this time that the exact week given up can make the difference, if I missed it, I apologize. One week during a season may be much better than another for the same unit size & resort. The worst weeks would likely be 36-38 for Gold season at SW and there should be a significant difference in trade power between those and the rest of the gold weeks. You may want to buddy up with someone who has a very high demand Marriott week and can look online to help you see what you're missing that might actually be there. I know I run searches with various weeks and unit sizes and it's amazing what you'll see, or won't see, at times. And what you may see this week with a certain search, you may not see next week even when it's there.

Last edited: