• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Does life insurance pay in a Pandemic?

Gypsy65

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HIVC
Just curious if life insurance is going to pay from any virus related deaths or if there’s some rule that allows them to not cover something like this

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Better look at your own policy under 'Exclusions'. Not all policies would be the same.

Ralph Sir Edward

TUG Member
Reaction score
Most likely they will. Check the exclusions, but most policies don't have a epidemic exclusion. (Nobody thought it would happen. . . .)

Iggyearl

TUG Member
Reaction score
The only exclusion in life insurance policies is the "suicide exclusion." If you kill yourself in the first 2 years, the company will not pay a death benefit, but will return the premiums paid. After that, you are fully insured. Falling off a cliff, murder (Lori Vallow didn't collect on her husband, but his parents did), cancer, the flu. Insurers may not issue you a policy if you have Covid-19, but that is an underwriting decision. Just like diabetes, heart problems, or cancer. They don't want to "buy a risk." Insurers will check your health history and may very well require a physical.

I just checked the policies advertised by AARP, and they return premiums if you don't live 2 years. Enough time to make sure you are pretty healthy. They also do underwriting.

Conan

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Life insurance contracts will cover, the same way they paid out for people who died on 9/11, in Hurricane Katrina, etc.

A different story for people who are trying to be paid for losses under their business interruption insurance - - those policies often have force majeure exceptions.

Reaction score
It's kinda like insuring a major risk with Medicare. Seniors talk about how great (or not) it is, but when a person gets End-State Renal Disease (aka Stage-4 Kidney Failure), while they are going through Dialysis they can not switch from one Medicare Advantage Plan to another. That is their pre-existing condition. PFFS (aka "Basic" Medicare) does not have that requirement. Medicare Supplement may tell you it's a pre-existing condition. If you have a successful transplant (which would be covered under Part-A), you can switch MAPD plans.

I am pretty sure if you are currently diagnosed with severe Coronavirus, you will not be able to get Life Insurance since the chances of dying are relatively high compared to other diseases. But if you're healthy right now, maybe you have some chronic sickness that is controlled by medications, you can get insurance. Actually, getting life insurance now is a great thing! You can start with getting insured for 1 year salary. Chances are, you will not need a medical exam. The simple reason is, GoFundMe will not help you if you die today. If you have Term Life Insurance that pays out equal to one year salary, your survivors will be OK for the time being. I do not sell Life Insurance, but I was offered to get the license but felt I didn't really need it. I still encourage everyone to get it!

TS