• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Does Diamond give you free upgrades as a norm?

DEROS

TUG Member
Reaction score
HHonors?

I am assuming you are talking about the HHonors rewards. I was a Diamond VIP for a small time and I have to say; no it is not automatic. First, there has to be an upgradable room, normally at Hilton named hotels that have towers/executive levels. (A one bedroom to two bedroom suite is not consider an upgrade. Upgrade is more like bottom floor no view to higher floor with a view. This is really geared towards business travelers) You have to ask when checking in if there is a upgradable room available. (It must be available for the whole stay not just part) Lastly, I have done upgrades as a Gold rewards member, so it really does not make any sense to try to achieve Diamond status. If it happens, it happens. The only worth while benefit at the Gold and Diamond level is the complimentary breakfast, and some places mid-afternoon snack. The best benefit, regardless of level, is the mangers reception where the first couple of alcoholic drinks are free.

Remember this is for hotel stays and not timeshare stays. The HHonors VIP levels does nothing at the timeshare resorts. For example, if you where staying at the Lagoon Tower at HHV, you will not get a free voucher for breakfast for being a Diamond VIP. However, if you convert your HGVC points to stay in the Hilton Hotel, then you are eligible for the free breakfast, up to two people.

Also, let me be the first to say, it is really not worth buying HGVC timeshare retail to become a Diamond VIP member. In the long run you will save much more money buying resale, and forgoing the HHonors reward status.

Hope this helps
Deros

nonutrix

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is the new HHonors policy from their website:

*Executive Lounge Access Policy

If you select a space-available room upgrade as your on-property VIP benefit, the following policy will apply effective August 15, 2008, at all Hilton®, Conrad® Hotels & Resorts and Doubletree® hotels:

If you are a Gold VIP, you'll be given access to the Executive Floor lounge when you receive a room upgrade to the Executive Floor. If an Executive Floor room upgrade is unavailable, you'll still receive daily complimentary Continental breakfast in lieu of lounge access.

If you are a Diamond VIP, you'll enjoy access to the Executive Floor lounge, even if you don't receive a room upgrade to the Executive Floor, including daily complimentary Continental breakfast.

At hotels without Executive Floor lounges, Gold and Diamond VIPs will receive complimentary Continental breakfast for themselves and up to one additional registered hotel guest each day. If breakfast is included in the room rate, you'll receive an alternate welcome amenity that varies by hotel.

I hope this helps.

nonutrix

pianodinosaur

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC SeaWorld x 2, HGVC Las Vegas Strip x 2, MVC Mountain Valley Lodge, MVC Legend’s Edge
I have been at Diamond Status for the past three years with HHonors. I am at the elite plus level not the elite premier level with HGVC. My Diamond status was achieved because my business required to travel and I stayed at Hilton properties. I have had upgrades on numerous occasions and the diamond status gives you access to the executive floor lounges if one is available. The room upgrade is is pending availability. I have also been upgraded when I was at Gold status. I expect to revert to Gold status next year because my business travels took me other hotel chains. I think the main advantage to Diamond Status is that you get a 50% bonus on HHonors points for your stay. This means that HHonors points accumulate much faster. You get a 25% bonus with Gold Status.

Going Global is a great option that HHonors provides. This can give you six free nights in a category 6 resort for 175,000 points or six free nights in a category 5 resort for 150,000 points. We have used HHonors to have vacations in San Diego California, San Juan Puerto Rico, Budapest Hungary, Amsterdam Holand, Los Cabos Mexico, South Lake Tahoe California, Scottsdale Arizona, and Chicago, Illinois. We will be cruising with HGVC next year and our hotel rooms in Barcelona will be covered by HHonors. I have never converted HGVC points to HHonors point as of this point in time.

I would not advise purchasing 34,000 HGVC points just to have Diamond Status for life. You get Gold Status for life with 14,000 HGVC points. However, HHonors is an excellent program and I urge you to learn more about it and enjoy the options that it provides.

Last edited: