• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Does Anyone Take a Checkbook When They Leave Home?

HitchHiker71

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Outer Banks Beach Club I (PIC Plus)
Colonies at Williamsburg (PIC Plus)
CWA VIP Gold (718k EY)
National Harbor Resale (689k)
We pay almost everything by CC, online, zelle, etc. very rarely use checks

Same for us, I cannot think of the last time I wrote a check for anything. All of my regular bills automatically bill to a CC, which we pay in full every month. For the few items that require a check I use online billpay which generates a check from our checking account. I increasingly use Paypal, Zelle and a few other cash apps when cash transfers are necessary. We also will purchase gift cards instead of giving cash/check for birthday and wedding gifts and such.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
Checkbook sits on my desk. Only monthly bill I write a check for is the mortgage. Chase rejects me when I try to pay the mortgage online, even though they show my mortgage account on the same page as my credit card account, and I just don't want to deal with calling them to find out why. Back when I was getting a haircut every 6-7 weeks, I regularly forgot to take the checkbook with me and ended up having to use a stamp to mail my hairdresser a check. Oh, I guess I write a check to the tax man every quarter to pre-pay taxes. That's about all.

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
I write some one time checks. I always take my checkbook to Wisconsin with me, but this time I brought an empty checkbook with one check left.
so this summer some bills that require a check are:
$5500 insurance payment
$3000 or more to replace two garage doors
$7500 or more to remove dead trees.
big bucks for quarterly irs payments. I was able to do that one online, or I would have been in trouble

i have checks for a smaller account, but only one for the account which gets automatic pension deposits. Just who is checkworthy?

Rolltydr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA, Ocean Blvd, Fairfield Glade
I recall that it used to be commonplace for peep to carry checkbooks with them.
They'd pull 'em out of a purse or pocket and click a pen (like cigarettes & lighters).

Nowadays, mine stays locked up in a safe, except for the 3 checks I write each year.
I understand that some here may still believe it's better to pay bills with a check.
But does your checkbook ever leave your house?

No. And I rarely have cash. I use Apple Pay as much as possible because it is fast and safe. I use a credit card if
I can’t use Apple Pay.

It drives me nuts (no, I don’t have much patience) when I get behind someone at the grocery store that watches the clerk scan every item, tell them the total, and only then do they pull out their checkbook and start writing the check, with 6 people waiting in line behind them!

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).
I carry two checks and a deposit slip in my wallet. My hairdresser doesn't accept credit cards so if I forget to get cash, I have one handy.

I remember back when almost everyone wrote a check in the grocery store line and then stood there and filled out its register. If I see someone doing that now, I get annoyed and inwardly groan at how long it is going to take. How we've changed!

Rolltydr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I write some one time checks. I always take my checkbook to Wisconsin with me, but this time I brought an empty checkbook with one check left.
so this summer some bills that require a check are:
$5500 insurance payment
$3000 or more to replace two garage doors
$7500 or more to remove dead trees.
big bucks for quarterly irs payments. I was able to do that one online, or I would have been in trouble

i have checks for a smaller account, but only one for the account which gets automatic pension deposits. Just who is checkworthy?

This reminded me that I had tow write a check to have some trees cut about a month ago. The guy was actually going to charge me more if I paid with a credit card.

Like many above, I put everything on a cashback credit card and have it on autopay every month. The only thing I have to do manually is move the cash I get back from the credit card account to a savings account. Yes, I could just get a credit on the credit card but I move it to a xmas club account and we use that money for a trip every December. It works for us.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
We write checks for birthdays and for our housekeeping service. However, I might need to change banks. . .

EDITED TO ADD: Ah! I remember! When dropping off my bird at his kennel, I pay by check!! They tend to sit on the check at least 10 days ... so it is in my favor to use the old-fashioned paper check vs Visa Debit. The kennel doesn't accept general credit cards ... so check it is.

If a 10-day float makes a difference for this type of expense your bank must be paying a fantastic interest rate on your checking account balance. ;)

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes! We carry our check book because our main bank is located in every state on the east coast; that we travel..

rhonda

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, DVC, Grand Pacific Palisades // Gone: Warner Springs Ranch, Seapointer (SA), WinPointVIP (?)
If a 10-day float makes a difference for this type of expense your bank must be paying a fantastic interest rate on your checking account balance. ;)
You underestimate the cost of bird boarding! (Or, perhaps, the length of our vacations.)

Glenn2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Ft. Lauderdale Beach Resort (2)
Suites at Fisherman's Wharf
My bowling league will only accept cash or checks, so I write a check for my league games. The bowling alley accepts credit cards for payment on any other purchases but this. We generally have only 16 teams of 4 on the league, so I think they try to keep the credit card service fees from eating into our enormous prize funds. Otherwise, no checks.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yep. And I have a flip phone. I am an embarrassment to my teenagers...…!
I'm a flip phone guy also. My phone is not set up to receive text messages which becomes a problem when I need to have a code sent to me to get online access to one of my accounts. It seems like some companies don't realize that some of us only buy el cheapo phones...

George

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Regency - Marco Island
Lagunamar - Cancun
Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
I always take the checkbook. I can't believe the companies I deal with that need checks. I could not get through a month without one or more.

missyrcrews

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Cold Spring Resort, Acadia Village Resort, Samoset Resort
I'm a flip phone guy also. My phone is not set up to receive text messages which becomes a problem when I need to have a code sent to me to get online access to one of my accounts. It seems like some companies don't realize that some of us only buy el cheapo phones...

George

George, I knew we were kindred spirits... :)

AnnaS

TUG Member
Reaction score
It drives me nuts (no, I don’t have much patience) when I get behind someone at the grocery store that watches the clerk scan every item, tell them the total, and only then do they pull out their checkbook and start writing the check, with 6 people waiting in line behind them!

Now this, I don't see anymore. I used to use my debit card until I realized I can get more reward points and use my cc.

I use my cc - for anything and anyone that takes it without a surcharge. I call to make the charge as soon as the bill arrives. BUT I will not go paperless for any bills. As soon as I notice a bill is off - certain bills are the same every month, I check the bill line by line and many times there is a mistake and I need to get it adjusted.

T-Mobile, VeriZon, Car and Home insurance, all go on the cc for rewards. I wish we could pay some other large bills like our real estate taxes (check), our IRS taxes (come right out of checking) and even our car lease with a cc. This would add up to a nice chunk of change/rewards. Many years go, my kids' colleges used to take cc without a surcharge - really disappointing when they started charging a fee :(

AnnaS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, we write checks for this as well. However, for younger dd I'm just going to transfer money into her account instead of giving her a check.

I have done this also with my youngest/daughter. She recently married and we still have a checking account with both of our names. Will probably hold onto it a little longer and then get rid of it. Just want to eliminate accounts.

I also have an account for my grandniece. Can't wait next year to close it and give her the small inheritance from my sister who passed 10 years ago. It's not much but my sister wanted her to have it when she was at least 17. Another account to close.

Rolltydr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Now this, I don't see anymore. I used to use my debit card until I realized I can get more reward points and use my cc.

I use my cc - for anything and anyone that takes it without a surcharge. I call to make the charge as soon as the bill arrives. BUT I will not go paperless for any bills. As soon as I notice a bill is off - certain bills are the same every month, I check the bill line by line and many times there is a mistake and I need to get it adjusted.

T-Mobile, VeriZon, Car and Home insurance, all go on the cc for rewards. I wish we could pay some other large bills like our real estate taxes (check), our IRS taxes (come right out of checking) and even our car lease with a cc. This would add up to a nice chunk of change/rewards. Many years go, my kids' colleges used to take cc without a surcharge - really disappointing when they started charging a fee :(
I used to check my statement line by line but now I just have it set up so that I get a text every time there is a transaction on the credit card. Now, I just skim the account about once a week to make sure there are no surprises and I‘ve never found any mistakes. It saves me a lot of time trying to reconcile the statement every month.

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
No. And I rarely have cash. I use Apple Pay as much as possible because it is fast and safe. I use a credit card if
I can’t use Apple Pay.

Was thinking of similar experience when I took a friend grocery shopping recently and she took out her checkbook to pay. Had to hold my tongue not to say anything. Figured at 87 she's not wanting to change the way she is used to doing things.

AnnaS

TUG Member
Reaction score
I check my bills line by line when they are a bit off......for instance, my electric bill (on budget), my T Mobile bill and Verizon bill are the same exact amount every month - if they are a dollar off......I check it line by line. I check others too - but some, like my gas bill, can;t really check. What I should check and don't, is my EZPass bill. All of my kids are on my account - regardless, I have been at the office and many people complain about charges that should not be there. This one is a bit harder for me to check unless I decide one day to take back all my EzPasses :rolleyes:

I always check my cc too - usually looking and checking if a refund was credited/posted, etc. and of course, I check my charges quickly - I don't have a ton (even though one of my sons and my daughter still have cards under my account/they don't use it unless I ask them to order something for me).

Rolltydr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Was thinking of similar experience when I took a friend grocery shopping recently and she took out her checkbook to pay. Had to hold my tongue not to say anything. Figured at 87 she's not wanting to change the way she is used to doing things.
Yeah, I get that. I used to take my mother to the store and she usually wrote checks until I finally insisted on paying for everything and she could pay me back. It’s not actually the act of writing the check that bothers me so much as those people who wait until after the cashier has completely finished scanning items before they even start writing it. I don’t know if there is a gene or what it is but I am very time conscious and I try to be as efficient as possible no matter what I’m doing. My wife is exactly the opposite. She insists on taking her time no matter what she is doing and says it helps prevent mistakes. In fact, she is one of those people who likes to pay for cheaper items, less than $10, with cash. Exact change, by the way! So, she digs through her purse to find pennies, or whatever she needs, to give the cashier the exact amount. Drives. Me. Nuts! (See post above regarding patience, or lack thereof.) :confused:

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
Only when I pay the property tax or go bowling. Bowling is because some unscrupulous person in the past lifted cash from the fee envelope and we(team) "owed". Always possible one of my teammates didn't pay or is bad at math and made incorrect change for themselves. So I write a check to the alley and never have a problem. Like someone else mentioned the bowling alley will only accept checks or cash for league payments. Will take credit/debit cards for everything else.

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Checkbook sits on my desk. Only monthly bill I write a check for is the mortgage. Chase rejects me when I try to pay the mortgage online, even though they show my mortgage account on the same page as my credit card account, and I just don't want to deal with calling them to find out why. Back when I was getting a haircut every 6-7 weeks, I regularly forgot to take the checkbook with me and ended up having to use a stamp to mail my hairdresser a check. Oh, I guess I write a check to the tax man every quarter to pre-pay taxes. That's about all.
Do you have a checking account with Chase? You can't pay a mortgage payment with a credit card. The merchant fees would eat up the profit.

George
I also have an el cheapo flip phone. Though I do have texting turned on so I can setup two factor authentication for certain websites. Perhaps consider turning on texts?

jont

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Enrolled in Marriott DC/
MOW /MGC /MCV/MGO / Trust Points

George
I bet you still have a rotary phone at home. ;)

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).

Thankfully, my 98 year old mother does use a credit card. But she has always refused to use an ATM machine and has never had a debit card. We’ve not let her go anywhere except for a ride with us since early March and a walk around our block.