• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Does Anyone Take a Checkbook When They Leave Home?

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I recall that it used to be commonplace for peep to carry checkbooks with them.
They'd pull 'em out of a purse or pocket and click a pen (like cigarettes & lighters).

Nowadays, mine stays locked up in a safe, except for the 3 checks I write each year.
I understand that some here may still believe it's better to pay bills with a check.
But does your checkbook ever leave your house?

rhonda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, DVC, Grand Pacific Palisades // Gone: Warner Springs Ranch, Seapointer (SA), WinPointVIP (?)
Huh. Interesting.

Yes, I carry mine. No, I don't recall the last time I wrote a check ... but I did use it yesterday to help balance my iPad at church. LOL

EDITED TO ADD: Ah! I remember! When dropping off my bird at his kennel, I pay by check!! They tend to sit on the check at least 10 days ... so it is in my favor to use the old-fashioned paper check vs Visa Debit. The kennel doesn't accept general credit cards ... so check it is.

Last edited:

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
One lone check in wallet And in dh’s car. Sometimes we’re at a place that prefers checks or I hit a garage sale.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Yes, mine does. My wallet has a spot for the checkbook and register. I also carry our joint check book with me. It's just habit and I very rarely, if ever, write a check. But at least I know where they are.

When we travel I do not bring the check books. However, that bit us in the butt once. We were in Santa Fe (before we moved here) at some market. The vendor could only take cash or checks. We ended up using our dds check book as we didn't have enough cash on us for what we were going to buy. However, even after that I still don't bring a check book on vacation.

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
I still keep just a single blank check in my wallet; I'm not even sure why anymore. In this day and age there are so many other means to promptly come up with "the scratch" in a pinch that my practice may now just be a leftover yesteryear habit of a dinosaur.
The checkbook itself no longer travels anywhere.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
I still keep just a single blank check in my wallet; I'm not even sure why anymore. In this day and age there are so many other means to promptly come up with "the scratch" in a pinch that my practice may now just be a leftover yesteryear habit of a dinosaur.
The checkbook itself no longer travels anywhere.
Exactly what I do. Sometimes it comes in handy if I owe a small amount to a Doctor above the amount covered by insurance...

George

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
I don’t carry cash either, all my spend goes on a credit card. Its set up to autopay the full balance from my checking every due date.

Once in a while I buy a lottery quick pick when it gets over 200 million. I have to walk next door to CVS to my credit union ATM and withdraw $20.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

nerodog

TUG Member
Reaction score
While traveling in USA, I bring a few checks with me but not whole book. I used to carry it all the time but now use my card more frequently.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Never. Mine stays locked up in our safe.

Sandi Bo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
We write checks on very rare occasions. Check book never leaves home. If I do write a check, I use online bill pay. I figure I have a lifetime supply of checks, I can't imagine I'll ever need to order again.

geekette

Reaction score
I have never carried a checkbook, altho Mom always did. I don't have checks, could probably get them for the accounts for which they are eligible, but I don't see the point of paying for them or shepherding the register.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
We still write a fair amount of checks. I do have as many bills as possible paid automatically, and there are some I write checks for that could be paid online, but there are some people we do business with who still seem to want checks.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
The only check I still write is to the IRS once per year.
They seem to take longer each year in cashing it - which is fine by me.

normab

TUG Member
Reaction score
We don’t carry our checkbook book, but, we live in a retirement community where the clubs only take checks… So we actually had to order more so we can pay for our tickets for our clubs and functions. Drives DH and me crazy. We don’t understand why they can’t come into the 21st century… LOL…

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
@Talent312 - if I may piggyback on this thread as it is somewhat related.......

In the course of modernizing transactions toward the contactless, one source of frustration I am having is with Home Depot's check out stations NOT accepting a phone based method of payment despite the fact they claim to. This problem has been reported countless times but they don't seem to be addressing it in a hurry. Grrrrrr.

I do like the fact I do NOT need my wallet anymore in a store (or my checkbook) but this assumes the store will have their contactless payment methods actually working!

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
I read a recent novel in which the heroine manages a super high tech company. So high tech they even communicate with artifice intelligence. She goes in, in between solving mysteries, to catch up on office work. And writes PAPER CHECKS to pay utilities. The character may be high tech, but the author is way behind

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
We don’t carry our checkbook book, but, we live in a retirement community where the clubs only take checks… So we actually had to order more so we can pay for our tickets for our clubs and functions. Drives DH and me crazy. We don’t understand why they can’t come into the 21st century… LOL…

Our HOA charges like $25 to do a direct debit from your checking account on line or credit card. So a check it is and we actually have to mail it though the HOA is on site!

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I actually had to switch banks before we moved and still have some of the temporary checks they give you to start with, even though it seemed like I was writing out checks left and right with moving and everything and even quite awhile thereafter.

So since our NY address is still on them I decided to order a bunch from Walmart and I think I have enough to last until I die at the rate I use them now. You had to order a large amount but it only cost like $15.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
No. We pay all bills online or by credit card. The only person we pay by check is the cleaning lady.

CanuckTravlr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Ocean 22
My chequebook never leaves home and is rarely used in any case. Most bills, including credit cards, are paid either by automatic payment or via online banking. At home, small purchases and tips under $10 or $20 are usually paid in cash and up to $100 by debit, beyond that by credit card.

It's a similar routine when travelling outside the country, but less debit and more credit card. I haven't even used traveller's cheques in probably 25 years. Since Covid-19, most places here have been preferring contactless debit or credit card, so not much cash being used. If I need cash, whether at home or abroad, I just go to an ATM.

AnnaS

TUG Member
Reaction score
My wallet has a spot for a checkbook. It's an old Coach wallet. Not sure if they still make them like that (any brand). I did recently start leaving my checkbook at home. I make sure I have at least 4 checks in my wallet "just in case".

I pay quiet a few bills with checks. I don't use PayPal, Venmo (whatever it's called), etc. If I owe someone money - airfare, someone bought something for me, I write a check. I also pay doctor, lab, dentist, hospital bills. I don't pay co-pay at the office. I get billed 20% of my bill one or two months later. I do pay some via credit card. I prefer "checks". I have had to prove payment once or twice (recently) and it's easier to make a copy of my cancelled check from my statement.

I will add, some doctors now and Quest lab want your credit card before visit. They want to make sure they are getting paid.

I also write checks for weddings (yes, we give "cash") - and for my kids and grandchildren for birthays and holidays.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
I also write checks for weddings (yes, we give "cash") - and for my kids and grandchildren for birthays and holidays.
Yes, we write checks for this as well. However, for younger dd I'm just going to transfer money into her account instead of giving her a check.

missyrcrews

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Cold Spring Resort, Acadia Village Resort, Samoset Resort
Yep. And I have a flip phone. I am an embarrassment to my teenagers...…!