• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Does Anyone Own Maison Pierre LaFitte in New Orleans?

aandmrun

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi, we are owners at this timeshare and have received an interesting newsletter from the owner of the Timeshare. Did you get it and, if so, what are your thoughts about the offer?

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
Boy now you got us all wondering. What was the offer? Buy it back and pay you double what you paid for it?

chapjim

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
I used to own two weeks (both 1BR) there but MPL took them back about a year ago. I'd have to look up the documents but I think I paid about $500 each to have MPL take them back.

Maintenance fees skyrocketed and there was a special assessment two or three years ago. It was next to impossible to rent a week for anything close to maintenance fees and very difficult to rent a week at all. I PIC'ed both weeks with Wyndham but the points I got were not worth the maintenance fees. I was happy to dispose of the weeks. Paying $1,000 to avoid losing $500/year in perpuity was a good deal.

Granted, this may have nothing to do with OP's post.

aandmrun

TUG Member
Reaction score
In reply to geist 1223, I will tell you the offer. But first, let me say that we own one spring week that we purchased on ebay for a very very low price . We go every year and thoroughly enjoy our trips to New Orleans. The maintenance fees have risen about $100 each year, which we don't find unreasonable because a lot of improvements have been done to the property. The situation is that it is now being run more as a hotel than a timeshare. The owner has decided to list with many hotel websites and I believe that is more lucrative. The offer is for owners to pay a one time $695 fee for the transfer of our deed and to lose the yearly obligation of maintenance fees. After doing this, the resort will offer us stays at the resort at anytime for 1/2 of the the lowest rate at booking.com. However, this would be for mid-week stays. The current maintenance fee for a one bedroom with kitchenette is $1200 for the 7 day stay. We pay maintenance fees twice a year (Spring & Winter), so it does not seem that expensive for a spring week in New Orleans. This year we will be going during the annual Spring Festival. MPL is in a very good location, right next to the Roosevelt Hotel and off of Canal Street. The balcony is a great viewing place for parades that go by on Canal Street. Also, it is becoming known as the theater district since the Orpheum Theater is across the street and the Saenger Theater is a few blocks away. So... we still want to keep the timeshare. It's a hard decision because we know that at some time we may not want to be making the yearly trip.

chapjim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
In reply to geist 1223, I will tell you the offer. But first, let me say that we own one spring week that we purchased on ebay for a very very low price . We go every year and thoroughly enjoy our trips to New Orleans. The maintenance fees have risen about $100 each year, which we don't find unreasonable because a lot of improvements have been done to the property. The situation is that it is now being run more as a hotel than a timeshare. The owner has decided to list with many hotel websites and I believe that is more lucrative. The offer is for owners to pay a one time $695 fee for the transfer of our deed and to lose the yearly obligation of maintenance fees. After doing this, the resort will offer us stays at the resort at anytime for 1/2 of the the lowest rate at booking.com. However, this would be for mid-week stays. The current maintenance fee for a one bedroom with kitchenette is $1200 for the 7 day stay. We pay maintenance fees twice a year (Spring & Winter), so it does not seem that expensive for a spring week in New Orleans. This year we will be going during the annual Spring Festival. MPL is in a very good location, right next to the Roosevelt Hotel and off of Canal Street. The balcony is a great viewing place for parades that go by on Canal Street. Also, it is becoming known as the theater district since the Orpheum Theater is across the street and the Saenger Theater is a few blocks away. So... we still want to keep the timeshare. It's a hard decision because we know that at some time we may not want to be making the yearly trip.

Thanks for the additional information. That MPL aspires to become a hotel makes a lot of sense of my experience -- very happy to take my weeks along with some of my money. I had a suspicion that they were hoping to acquire as many units as possible.

We toured MPL a couple of times. Never stayed there, though. It is a nice facility and there's no question they have made a lot of improvements. It was just one of those things that didn't work out for us.

We've stayed at Mardi Gras Manor, La Belle Maison, and Club La Pension once each. All the rest of our visits have been to Quarter House.

Free2Roam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham, Quarter House, a handful of East Coast beach resorts
The maintenance fees have risen about $100 each year...

Wow! I owned a unit week 27, but sold it about 4-5 years ago.

Sent from my TB-X704A using Tapatalk

MPHYMEL

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Resort on Cocoa Beach, Landmark Holiday Resort, Maison Pierre Lafitte
Maintenance fee increased to $1200 and I did the buy back at around $600 which is roughly what I would have paid for maintenance fee. I love the location adn the balcony but offer included a discount rate if I want ed to stay. I always find a good deal in new Orleans. Always pleased with Angie's help!

MPHYMEL

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Resort on Cocoa Beach, Landmark Holiday Resort, Maison Pierre Lafitte
I agree and love my time at MPL but I payed back the week as maintenance fees will continue to go up. I always seem to find a great deal n the city I stayed at plaza suites near Fulton Mardi Gras week for $700. I agree the focus is more on a hotel business than timeshare.

zzcn69

TUG Member
Reaction score
I own at MPL and love it. The reason the MF are so high is not enough owners. I know George. He is a good guy and is trying to help owners out by giving them an exit if they can no longer use their TS. He is not trying to turn MPL into a hotel, but is simply trying to generate some income. Fortunately, I am not looking for an exit, but think this is a good deal for those who are. As for the MF, yes, they are high, but have you tried to book a hotel room in NO lately? My brother booked Old 77 (?) a few months ago, and it was $300 for a hotel room.

aandmrun

TUG Member
Reaction score
I own at MPL and love it. The reason the MF are so high is not enough owners. I know George. He is a good guy and is trying to help owners out by giving them an exit if they can no longer use their TS. He is not trying to turn MPL into a hotel, but is simply trying to generate some income. Fortunately, I am not looking for an exit, but think this is a good deal for those who are. As for the MF, yes, they are high, but have you tried to book a hotel room in NO lately? My brother booked Old 77 (?) a few months ago, and it was $300 for a hotel room.
It's nice to see that you also enjoy your time at MPL. I think we will keep it for a few more years. You are correct about the hotel room prices going up everywhere and especially in New Orleans. This is such a good location for the timeshare. We enjoy visiting with George when we are there also.

chapjim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Was doing some tax stuff yesterday and looked up what I actually spent turning in two weeks at MPL. It was $480 total, which included $55 for filing.

Miscellaneous Business Expense, I guess.

aandmrun

TUG Member
Reaction score
Was doing some tax stuff yesterday and looked up what I actually spent turning in two weeks at MPL. It was $480 total, which included $55 for filing.

Miscellaneous Business Expense, I guess.
Thanks, that's good to know.

spackler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Quarter House, Jean Lafitte House, Bali Hai
I own at Jean Lafitte House, which is a "sister" timeshare to MPL & we got the same exit offer.

Owners can own at either & exchange into other weeks at either location. They do allow you to break up weeks, which is nice.

Yes, MFs have certainly been going up, way more than other NOLA resorts, unfortunately. I own a Mardi Gras week at JLH, so thankfully it's an easy rental if need be.

rsfdiver

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
One week at Jean Lafitte House in New Orleans.
My wife has been an owner at Jean Lafitte house for four decades. Last year she was able to trade her July time at Jean Lafitte house for 2 small rooms at Maison Pierre on Canal for Mardi Gras 2022.
She was very excited and looked forward to the experience. She and 2 other friends arrived on a Sunday evening, and were evicted the following morning. Supposed Noise complaint, (on Mardi Gras?). I was charged for an unregistered guest 300$, excessive cleaning 50$ 250$ for smoking. George is sick and his daughters are now managing the place. They are horrible. Toilets don't flush, no hot water, No AC in many of the rooms. They got rid of the original managers, who were like family to my wife, and are trying to get rid of the owners so they can take the place for themselves.
I need advice on who to contact about a lawsuit against the management. Did this unwarranted eviction nullify here ownership? None of the owners are happy about this situation from what I am hearing.
Any direction and advice is appreciated.

chapjim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
My wife has been an owner at Jean Lafitte house for four decades. Last year she was able to trade her July time at Jean Lafitte house for 2 small rooms at Maison Pierre on Canal for Mardi Gras 2022.
She was very excited and looked forward to the experience. She and 2 other friends arrived on a Sunday evening, and were evicted the following morning. Supposed Noise complaint, (on Mardi Gras?). I was charged for an unregistered guest 300$, excessive cleaning 50$ 250$ for smoking. George is sick and his daughters are now managing the place. They are horrible. Toilets don't flush, no hot water, No AC in many of the rooms. They got rid of the original managers, who were like family to my wife, and are trying to get rid of the owners so they can take the place for themselves.
I need advice on who to contact about a lawsuit against the management. Did this unwarranted eviction nullify here ownership? None of the owners are happy about this situation from what I am hearing.

I was very happy to have divested my two weeks at MPL.

MPL's desires and mine were in line -- they wanted the units and I wanted to get rid of them.

normalrog2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Ft. Lauderdale Beach Resort, Cypress Pointe Orlando, Silverleaf Fox River (IL), Quarter House, Maison Pierre Lafitte

Hello RSFDiver, I'm an owner at sister property MPL, and have not had any contact with them since covid (other than paying the increasing management fees.) I plan on contacting them next week and getting updated information. Have you had any contact, and if so, what was your experience? Specifically, who should I contact now that George and Angie are no longer there? Are there issues that I should know about prior to calling? Thanks in advance for any information...