• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Does anyone own a Grand Mayan timeshare?

bbarbiere

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've seen these properties start showing up for under $1,000 on eBay (however they carry the hefty 10% transfer fee). I just returned from Puerta Vallarta and intend to travel to Mexico with my two children once per year now. The Grand Mayan properties look very nice and better than the cheaper Mayan Palace. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Bob B

drguy

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
We own a couple of weeks at GM. Resales supposedly lose the perks that go along with buying from the developer; Vacation Fair weeks, cheaper golf, extended reservation periods, room view, etc. Are those perks worth the extra $50,000 we spent? Probably not.
Everyone has a different perception of what a good deal is, and you have to decide what it is you want. We're happy with our purchases there and the upgrades we've added.
Guy

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Don't forget to check the TUG Reviews for this property. (Click on TUG Resort Database in the red bar at the top of the page.)

mikenk

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Luxxe Villa
I bought a Grand Mayan on resale after several trips as a renter. I really like the resorts and have been quite pleased with the service since becoming an owner. We use our two weeks each year and don't plan to do trading or renting.

The key to buying resale is the age of the contract you are buying. For timeshares bought before Nov 2005 (I believe that is the right date), you would get the vacation fair week with a 10% of original purchase price transfer fee; for timeshares bought after that date, you do not get the extra week and the transfer fee is 5X the current maintenance fee. Before bidding, make sure you know which you are getting.

Mike

Last edited:

MLC

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have always got weeks to use from SFX. They have a lot of inventory from the Grand Mayan. I would not buy if I can get good weeks from SFX. Grand Mayan is much better than the Mayan(rooms are bigger and better facilities).

bbarbiere

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks

Thanks for your feedback. I've narrowed my Nuevo Vallarta property selections down to Grand Mayan, Paradise Village, and Playa del Sol Grand. Just waiting for the right deal now.

Mydogs2big

TUG Member
Reaction score
We own both Grand Mayan and Mayan Palace. We don't see as big of a difference between the two as others do. But we prefer the Riviera Maya location. If we preferred Nuevo Vallarta, we would love the Waterpark at the Grand. And the Grand is a little bigger with a good sized balcony, plunge pool and slightly larger fridge and granite countertops.

However, for the price difference and the additional maintenance fee, we are quite happy with the Mayan Palaces, especially because we own several weeks.

I guess it's like "Do we want to eat out with table cloths and candles for a week or do we want to eat out without them for a month"

We could not be happier with our purchases for either and I'm sure you won't regret yours, especially because you're an informed buyer.:whoopie:

judy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
I used to own GM, have owned Paradise Village for 9 years and love it there. The mtce fees are very reasonable and have not increased that much in 9 years. We go there every year for multiple weeks and never have a problem getting in. Usually the month of feb. If you don't have profile A at the GM it may be more difficult to get in during the winter months. Profile A owners can reserve 12 months ahead.

pammex

TUG Review Crew: ELITE
TUG Member
Reaction score
I own Mayan Palace Regency...one regular week per year and one Vacation Fair week , along with the Sea & Sun pack, which would give us a total of 7 weeks at Mayan. I have to say the Grand Mayan to me, is nicer...plunge pool on balcony etc. ( Oh I own a two bedroom lock off). The grounds at the Mayans are lovely and well maintained. I like the resort but I do not get that homey Mexico feel at them, probably cause they are so big and also not sure how to phrase it, more modern or americanized, I guess. They are lovely though. We only pay MF's if we use or band the week thru an exchange company, so it works for us. We do have to pay the one MF, every 5 years irrelevant though. Definately buy resale in my opinion.

I also own at Paradise Village, a small point package. That too is a very nice resort with Mayan touches. Convenient with the Paradise Mall right there. Nice balconies. Less formal than Mayan. Higher point package would be better for most, but for us okay as we own a lot of timeshares. Booking with them is a pleasure, very cordial and friendly.

Playa Del Sol Grande, have only visited but never stayed....nice resort as well but I cannot vouch for service or such.

Good luck in your search for the best deal......I wish you luck!!!