• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Does anyone know how well Westin Princeville has been selling?

alanraycole

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm just wondering if my suspicions are correct that sales are nothing like what they were expecting... excluding the effects of the economy.

Don't get me wrong, this is a very nice place, but I would not buy here even if they cut the price by 90%. Why? From what I can tell from walking around the grounds, there are only maybe a dozen units with "good" ocean views and none with "superior" ocean views. I would trade my week here for another week at the Shearwater any day.

Granted the grounds, furnishings, detailing, and amenities are far superior at the Westin, but the view is too important to me, and Shearwater trumps with its view. I am at the ocean end of building 3, which is technically ocean view. Yes, I can see the ocean from my room and if some trees and bushes were cut down or trimmed, I could see a lot more of it. I will never request an exchange into this resort again and I would recommend that those considering buying here should absolutely stay here before buying. If you do exchange into here, I recommend that you request the ocean end of building 7. That is where almost all the good ocean views are. But, I wouldn't want to risk another exchange, because the good views are a small percentage of all units. As they sell more, an exchanger is less and less likely to get a unit with one of the better views.

If ocean view was not important, then I would say this place is great. I can see why it may be a dream for some. But for me, it is in the bottom half of my list of desireable Hawaiian destinations.

Just a critique... please, don't get mad if you feel differently. :D

Last edited:

alanraycole

TUG Member
Reaction score
If anyone is on Kauai during my stay and wants to see a Westin unit...

without going through a sales presentation, let me know. Your morning or evening visit will be welcome.

Cathyb

TUG Member
Reaction score
We felt the same way just walking their grounds. It is very isolated from town so car is absolutely mandatory -- it is too isolated to walk to any stores, if I remember right.

Kauai Kid

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I was quite unimpressed with the facility during a quick drive through and walk around. I imagine checking some of the resale sites would give you an idea of how well they are selling and not holding their value.

Sterling

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
I'm all about the view, too.

For that reason, I'd never stay at the Ritz in Kapalua, Maui, even though it's supposed to be very nice. It's simply set too far back from the ocean. Living in Ohio, I'm landlocked 50 weeks of the year. During my two weeks of vacation, I want to see the ocean.

As to the OP, I get a feeling that Westin Princeville isn't doing so good.

Last edited:

rifleman69

TUG Member
Reaction score
We were there in April of '08 when the finishing touches were being applied to the facilities and grounds. Looked like it would be kept up well, but it just looked out of place for some reason. Granted it was the last big chunk of land left up there to really develop on, but still surprised it was never turned into an neighborhood. Can't imagine how much they're charging for a week (wasn't it at least $60,000?) but it's definitely not worth it.

I'll stick with Bali Hai and Shearwater. Also you can walk to the store from either of the three places, sure it's not just down the street but it's a nice little exercise walk to Foodland.

alanraycole

TUG Member
Reaction score
To be a little fairer in my observations of Westin Princeville...

It has been a nice place to come back to in the evening. Also, after a few more walks around the grounds, I can see where the many of the top floor units probably have some nice ocean vista views... which is not all bad... there are worse things than a grand vista including mountains and the ocean. Also, for families, this is a great place to keep children happy. I have heard a lot of kids apparently having a blast at the pool. But, these virtues are still not enough to put it among my top picks... I just thought I should include these observations for the sake of fairness.

cgeidl

TUG Member
Reaction score
New W in Scottsdale is in foreclosure

Looks like Starwood has problems to us just like most of the country.Likely things will be very diffid\cult for them for the next few years and besides foreclosed property there may be firesales to raise more cash.
We love staying at Westin TS especailly Scottsdale at Kierlands and hope things turn around.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Looks like Starwood has problems to us just like most of the country.Likely things will be very diffid\cult for them for the next few years and besides foreclosed property there may be firesales to raise more cash.
We love staying at Westin TS especailly Scottsdale at Kierlands and hope things turn around.

Just to clarify - Starwood Hotels and Timeshares are not in the same division.

nanc65093

TUG Member
Reaction score
Today in Hanalei at the timeshare re-seller office, they had a 2 br every year posted for 35k in the window. Because my vacation time is so precious I have avoided the pitch while we are here. The resort seems about 1/3-1/2 occupied and they have not pushed which is refreshing.

Aloha,

:) Nancy

WalnutBaron

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Highlands Inn, Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Today in Hanalei at the timeshare re-seller office, they had a 2 br every year posted for 35k in the window. Because my vacation time is so precious I have avoided the pitch while we are here. The resort seems about 1/3-1/2 occupied and they have not pushed which is refreshing.

Aloha,

:) Nancy

That is refreshing. When we stayed at Marriott's DSV II in December, we were overwhelmed with the pressure to tour the new addition to Shadow Ridge. Thanks for the heads-up.

LisaH

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Alan, I agree! Once you've stayed at the Shearwater, it's pretty difficult to stay at any other timeshares in Princeville. I could actually see the Westin property (and the Lighthouse) in a distance from my lanai at Shearwater. One thing I think I will enjoy is Westin is right next to a little trail that leads you down to Wylie Beach. The hike is pretty manageable, unlike the hike near Shearwater down to the Secret beach. If you enjoy calm water and easier hike, Westin would be a good location. If you enjoy snorkeling, then Secret Beach is awesome.

hoyt55

Reaction score
Hike down to Annini Beach from Westin Princeville

Alan, I agree! Once you've stayed at the Shearwater, it's pretty difficult to stay at any other timeshares in Princeville. I could actually see the Westin property (and the Lighthouse) in a distance from my lanai at Shearwater. One thing I think I will enjoy is Westin is right next to a little trail that leads you down to Wylie Beach. The hike is pretty manageable, unlike the hike near Shearwater down to the Secret beach. If you enjoy calm water and easier hike, Westin would be a good location. If you enjoy snorkeling, then Secret Beach is awesome.

I own there and you have to be in excellent shape for the hike back up. To be specific, my heart rate was at the equiv of a running fast rate coming back up, not to mention it is quite slippery and steep.

hoyt55

Reaction score
Westin Princeville reselling

First, the melt down has crushed the timeshare business, so all of them are in the tank. And we all know they are terrible investments, unless you like owning a sink hole.

We own there and there appeared to be reasonable traffic there. I agree with previous posts that you have to get a unit on one of the hammerheads "end units" for a full view, otherwise the view is angled. As far as the layout, operation, and facility, it is fabulous if you are looking for a more relaxed environment - unlike Westin Maui -which is the equivalent to owning a timeshare at Ohare airport.

The major negative is no direct beach access. The Princeville Resort will be opening this July so you can drive to an excellent beach with full services. Annini beach is below - and is a state park. You basically have to drive, unless you are in excellent shape for a brutal return walk up an extremely steep path. Other negatives of which they will feed you a complete line of garbage is the weather - the Northern Coast which catches the brunt of initial rain up in the mountains behind the resort is the rainiest spot on earth. That being said, our week in late Jan 2009, had plenty of sunshine -you just have to be ready to get chased indoors or tolerate small squalls.

All in all, and we own three weeks, we love it. And fyi, if you play golf- The Prince Course is among the most picturesque and challenging that you'll every play.