• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Does anyone have any experience with purchasing Marriott Vacation Club points through a 3rd party

bondavebo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Frenchmen's Cove
I currently have a combination of Vacation Club points plus two Gold weeks at a Marriott resort. I'm very happy with the Marriott vacations clubs option and quality of the resorts. I am looking to purchase more Marriott Vacation Club points but upon speaking to a representative at Marriott there are considerable costs for the exchange of points and there is always the ROFR to consider. Does anyone on this forum have any experience with buying Vacation Club points that could help me figure this out?

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
Here is a good calculator prepared by TUGger @StevenTing to help determine your all in costs. https://vacationpointexchange.com/resale/

In a nutshell, in addition to the purchase price and closing cost, if you are purchasing them resale, you also have to pay MVC $3 per point to have unfettered access in the system.

Pamplemousse

TUG Member
Reaction score
I currently have a combination of Vacation Club points plus two Gold weeks at a Marriott resort. I'm very happy with the Marriott vacations clubs option and quality of the resorts. I am looking to purchase more Marriott Vacation Club points but upon speaking to a representative at Marriott there are considerable costs for the exchange of points and there is always the ROFR to consider. Does anyone on this forum have any experience with buying Vacation Club points that could help me figure this out?
There’s also lots of info on this site about renting points when you need them- sorry I don’t have a handy link like fasttr provided!
I also own an enrolled week and a small number of points and plan to rent more when I need them rather than purchasing.

jmhpsu93

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Abound Points
MVC Grande Vista (x2)
MVC Cypress Harbour (x2)
MVC Harbour Lake (x2)
Golden Shores (Mexico)
I bought 1,000 points resale for 0.76 a point, then paid the $3,000 to have them "enrolled" into the full trust or whatever it's called, so $3.76 all-in. ROFR is pretty much non-existent right now. I purchased on eBay - there are a bunch out there in different point allocations for initial bids around $1.75 and Buy It Now prices just over $2/point.

TXTortoise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui OC Lahaina Fixed (3+)
Kauai Waiohai
Vail Streamside Birch
If you don't want to spend a lot of money up front...rent, as Pamplemousse noted:

FWIW, ROFR is essentially inactive at the moment, with base points selling for as low as .76/point. http://rofr.net

rthib

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just completed a purchase. After paying the junk fees (see calculator above) they are regular points. I did it because it moved me up to executive. Easy to get past ROFR.

BabyDoc

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Vacation Club Destination Points
I recently bought points through Redweek. Everything noted above applies but once the sale was complete they functioned like regular Destination Points. I understand MVC is not taking the ROFR right now and they didn't with my points.

DJensen

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I may have been a sucker for the Marriott pitch, but I recently bought 1,000 points for $9.20 per point - this is one of the lowest prices directly from Marriott - last fall at Encore presentation their direct price was $14.62!!! This was in place of a rescheduled Encore presentation at the end of April. We also received bonus Bonvoy points, bonus Destination Points to be used over the next 3 years (starting in 2021) and maintenance fees start 2021. I have a resale week that I had rolled in many years ago and thought (maybe incorrectly) that buying a minimal amount direct may help us in the long run with access to Westin properties - not sure how that merger will play out.

alhanna

TUG Member
Reaction score
About 2 years ago, we purchased 6,000 points through an agent. The cost was $4.00 per point and then the additional costs that Marriott required added a little over $2.00 a point. They passed ROFR in about10 days.

csalter2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko Olina
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Diamond Resorts Gold
Whatever you decide, make sure you compare your resale bargain with what Marriott is offering at the time. Especially this time of year when they usually offer deals. You’d be surprised by what they may offer that could just about match your resale purchase. When they know what they’re up against with resale, sometimes they make some great offers. It’s happened to me the last two updates I’ve been on.