• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Does anyone have any experience and could recommend any of these Hawaii closing companies ?

sun starved Gayle

TUG Member
Reaction score

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
I've worked with Old Republic and First American, although neither recently. My recollection is that they were expensive then (~$900, including title insurance). My recollection is that they were both very efficient and very professional.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I've worked with Old Republic and First American, although neither recently. My recollection is that they were expensive then (~$900, including title insurance). My recollection is that they were both very efficient and very professional.
Any time one is working with an actual licensed title company, it is going to be expensive. The process for timeshare is about the same as buying a home except they also have to notify the resort management company. Many around here don't go with real closing companies or title companies to close on a timeshare. We are fine to settle for a deed prep company like LT Transfers. Much cheaper since they don't have the same licencing and insurance that a full service title agent has. Hawaii is different though if you have escrow.

sun starved Gayle

TUG Member
Reaction score
Is there any way we can avoid escrow? If the parties handled the money transfer between themselves? I am not paying a lot of money for this timeshare.

magmue

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Kingsland
West 57th
Worldmark
Whale Pointe fractional
Point at Poipu (deed)
Lawai Beach Resort
Kauai Beach Villas
We recent;y used Fidelity for closing Point at Poipu - choice made by seller via Redweek Verified listing. No glitches, but spendy. It was presented as a done deal, and didn't object. Between escrow, title insurance, document preparation, and government fees, came to ~ $1,050.

When we sold two Bay Club weeks last year, we used Cindy Cary at Red Time Realty in Kona. Samuel Rodriguez from Sellingtimeshares.net (with Seth Nock) connected us with her for the first weeks for which he had a buyer, and we stayed with her for the second week for which we found a buyer in one of the Facebook groups. Total to buyer was about $1,600, but included HGVC's transfer fees, so not completely comparable to Fidelity's figures. IIRC, she came in for less than the other folks we checked with, perhaps because no title insurance required.

magmue

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
West 57th
Worldmark
Whale Pointe fractional
Point at Poipu (deed)
Lawai Beach Resort
Kauai Beach Villas
Is there any way we can avoid escrow? If the parties handled the money transfer between themselves?
When I talked to LT during our Bay Club sale, they basically said no, and that was why they had stopped doing Hawaii closings.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
LT Transfers recommended the following companies:

Fidelity National Title & Escrow of Hawaii Phone: 808.536.0404 hi-fnt-HonoluluCustomerService@fnf.com

First American Title in Hawaii, Timeshare Division (808) 536-3866 or (800) 842-0835 cs.honolulu.hi@firstam.com

Old Republic Title and Escrow of Hawaii www.oldrepublictitle.com

Premier Escrow (808) 687-6700info@premiertitlehawaii.com www.premiertitlehawaii.com

Title Guaranty Escrow Services, Inc.
Phone: (808) 521.0211www.tghawaii.co

I looked at my closing statement for when I bought a Hawaii week in 2018. It was $924 for everything with Old Republic. I did not have to do anything at all.

Are you handling your own transaction and needing to hire the closing company yourself? Has LT Transfers been able to do anything for you or do they not work with Hawaii?

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
When I talked to LT during our Bay Club sale, they basically said no, and that was why they had stopped doing Hawaii closings.
According to their website, they still indicate the fee for Hawaii is $225.

Our rates are $175* plus $15 postage and recording fees which vary by county and sales price. If needed, we are able to offer Escrow service in most states. We do not provide title insurance.

* California, Hawaii, Maine, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New Orleans, Washington, Wisconsin are $225, while Pennsylvania, Maryland, New Hampshire, Vermont, Washington DC, and Rhode Island are $250 plus postage and recording fees.

magmue

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
West 57th
Worldmark
Whale Pointe fractional
Point at Poipu (deed)
Lawai Beach Resort
Kauai Beach Villas
I hunted down my email response about this from LT dated 4/6/2021. LT’s website did have that price quote for Hawaii a that time, which was why I made the inquiry.
we longer handle Hawaii Transactions that involve a sales price, even if buyers and sellers pay each other directly.

This is because when we record the deed, we have to disclose if there is a sales price so the state can collect additional recording fees. We find it simpler to not get involved with Hawaii transactions if there is money changing hands. It could cause us a lot of legal issues should there be a disgruntled buyer or seller and the funds are not being held in escrow.

We are now limited to only handling gifted transactions where the sales agreement states $0.00/gifted.

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
When LT handled a Hawaii sale for us (prob~ 2016) they had a terrible time with some of the folks in Hawaii, in our case the property manager, and they indicated to me even then that they were thinking about getting out of the Hawaii transfers. As with all things in Hawaii, things run a bit slower and a bit more expensive. Get someone well connected on the island.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
I've used Old republic when I purchased through a broker, no issues.

The two Hawaii contracts I've sold I used LT with no escrow, it wasn't a problem. On one I sold on eBay LT did an informal escrow, they held the check until transfer was completed, I guess they can't do that now.

Sent from my Lenovo 10e using Tapatalk