• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Doe anyone use a neti pot?

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I need to flush out my sinuses, but I am overly paranoid with the brain eating amoeba that you can get from using tap water. I don't have any distilled water right now and can't get to the store for a couple days.

I boil tap water, let it cool and rinse the neti pot with boiled water in the very rare times that I will actually use it. My paranoia kicks in when I rinse out the neti pot after I use it. I get worried that rinsing isn't enough.

If anyone here uses one, how do you clean it and is it risky to use after it's been sitting in a cabinet for a year.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I use one occasionally- like if I feel a cold coming on of feel my sinuses are just full of gunk. I can't help with your paranoia though. I figure that tap water has been treated with chlorine, so that's what I use. It can't be worse than the ambiant air that passes through my sinuses whenever I breathe. But to cleaning the neti pot. I use one of the plastic squeeze bottle type- not the 'tea pot' looking ones, and I just drop a denture cleaning tablet in it with some hot tap water. Of course I rinse it well after the denture tab has done it's thing. I figure that if those will remove leftover stuff from dentures and 99.9% of the bacteria, it oughtta be good enough in the neti pot. The saline solution you run through your sinuses from the neti-pot is a one-way trip anyway- you don't suck the liquid back into the bottle, do you? I just squirt it up one nostril and the stuff comes out the other one, so the only thing in the bottle is saline solution.

Jim

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
My husband uses a neti plastic spray bottle when he has a cold, with distilled water and the saline powder pouches that come with it. I use Arm and Hammer nasal saline spray to rinse my sinuses every night. One bottle lasts me about 2 to 3 weeks. I get 3 in a package from Costco and stock up when they go on sale. You can find them in pharmacy section of grocery stores or good old CVS and Walgreens.

I throw away my husband's bottle after a cold and stock up on new ones to get ready for his next cold.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
I use one when I have a cold. Makes sense to pour boiled water in the pot and nozzle before use since not used in a while. I usually just use distilled and clean with antibacterial soap after use and air dry.

I warm the cold distilled water 35 seconds in my microwave in a pyrex to make it slightly warm to pour lukewarm water to soothe my sinuses. Your microwave time may vary.

Last edited:

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
I use during cold season as well. What you are doing should be enough.

needvaca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MGO, WKV, SVV Bella
I buy a gallon of distilled water at the grocery store whenever I think of it. but boiling should be fine too.

I put my net ipot in the dishwasher (which we run daily) to clean/disinfect it. Take it out before dry cycle.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I used one for years without boiling the water- just kosher salt and warm well water with no issues. But then Tuggers reprimanded me and I got paranoid so I stopped. LOL!

I never actually cleaned it per se. Just rinsed and wiped it dry through and through,

louisianab

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV and Vacation Village at Williamsburg.
Microbiologist by professional training and education -- You won't get brain eating amoeba from tap water, well or city. Now if you get it from a warm ditch, then you might. You do still want to use boiled or distilled water. As long as you wash with soap and water before and after use and let dry, you will be safe.