• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Dodged Laura, now Sally is an issue

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
Dodged Laura, and decided to take some R&R at the beach. Because of Covid 19, I drove.

Now I find myself in Destin. During the afternoon yesterday Sally strengthened quicker than expected, So driving home either earlier than or on our our planned departure Monday, will now stick me in the middle of traffic of people evacuating NOLA.

Has anyone who has evacuated from NOLA and the Delta had any experience on I 10 W with traffic?

Trying to decide if staying in Destin is a better decision than driving into an evacuation or path of oncoming hurricane.

Its 2020 right? Of course, it is.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
Dodged Laura, and decided to take some R&R at the beach. Because of Covid 19, I drove.

Now I find myself in Destin. During the afternoon yesterday Sally strengthened quicker than expected, So driving home either earlier than or on our our planned departure Monday, will now stick me in the middle of traffic of people evacuating NOLA.

Has anyone who has evacuated from NOLA and the Delta had any experience on I 10 W with traffic?

Trying to decide if staying in Destin is a better decision than driving into an evacuation or path of oncoming hurricane.

Its 2020 right? Of course, it is.

That's a good question. By the looks of the current forecast west-bound on I-10 would be the logical evacuation route from NOLA however the evacuees would have to go all the way to Texas because there is nothing west of NOLA on I-10 for them to stay due to the devastation from Hurricane Laura. Going north would be a much longer drive to get out of the path and find a hotel since hotels are at a premium in Louisiana due to Laura evacuees.

If I were you I would stay in Destin until at least Wednesday or leave now.

1600004958284.png

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
If I were you I would stay in Destin until at least Wednesday or leave now.

That is exactly where I am at. Again its a Should I stay or should I go now, situation.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
The path has now moved further west so if you aren't staying until Wednesday you need to leave now.

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The path has now moved further west so if you aren't staying until Wednesday you need to leave now.

Just not interested in getting stuck in any evacuation traffic, so if I stay it will be until thurs, at the earliest.

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Regency - Marco Island
Lagunamar - Cancun
Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
If you can't make it on 1 tank of gas, stay put.

geekette

Reaction score
I'd start the I-10 route and if too jammed, take side roads for a while. Many ways to head west and could be some are much faster than interstate. Good luck, whatever you decide to do.

geekette

Reaction score
I hope you are on the road and finding much less traffic than expected. Please do update us.

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Since storm prediction keeps nudging East more each update, we decided it would be better to leave. Just finished the 11 hr drive home.

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
Since storm prediction keeps nudging East more each update, we decided it would be better to leave. Just finished the 11 hr drive home.
Hi Sandy,

Where is home?

Richard

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
2020 is just a terrible year all around! Famines, pestilence, plagues, shakings and tropical storms. Ready to move on to 2021. It cannot get worse.

Sandy, glad you were able to get back home.

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
2020 is just a terrible year all around! Famines, pestilence, plagues, shakings and tropical storms. Ready to move on to 2021. It cannot get worse.

Sandy, glad you were able to get back home.
Yes and they are still making us turn the clock back an hour in October. Don’t need an extra hour of 2020

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Traffic was not as bad as I expected. 1 accident that Waze rerouted me around, but otherwise, not bad drive AFA traffic goes.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
Yes and they are still making us turn the clock back an hour in October. Don’t need an extra hour of 2020
I think it's the first Sunday in November.

geekette

Reaction score
I think it's the first Sunday in November.
Sheesh, I only remember that it moved, but since I have not always had to do it, I kind of rely on local news to remind me ; ) In my world, it doesn't greatly matter what time it is.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheesh, I only remember that it moved, but since I have not always had to do it, I kind of rely on local news to remind me ; ) In my world, it doesn't greatly matter what time it is.
I like going to Maui when the difference is only 3 hours from Denver to there. But this time, we go with 3 hours' difference, come back with four hours' difference. That always feels weird, that difference between Hawaii and home. That is why we spend a night in SFO on the way back.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
A friend who lives in Florida posted this on FB.

1600192230816.png

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
What states don't have to do it, besides AZ and HI?

geekette

Reaction score
What states don't have to do it, besides AZ and HI?
Indiana. It was ramrodded through without any input from the public after a West Wing episode embarrassed those with power. It was the "what time is it in Indiana" episode.

Here's the problem: they changed it, without vote or input, but, allowed counties to opt out. So, I still can't tell you what time it is in Indiana without asking "in what county?" and then I'd have to know that county.

Indiana is split down the middle with a meridian. If you find yourself on Meridian Street here, whatever city you are in, you're in the middle of the state. So we are actually half Eastern, half Central. Most of us are Eastern, New York time, which didn't work so great for those near Chicago. We have southern counties opting out as well, so, it's kind of a big mess. If you travel through here, and it matters what time it is, check and double check, don't rely on your cell phone to change per county.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates