• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Do you speak up or stay silent regarding group gatherings & masks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
We just decline graciously and say that we are staying in strict "stay at home" mode, because of C-19.

Tuggers: THANKS for not going down the ugly road in this thread!

SandyO

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Villa de Santa Fe
The holiday season is upon us and we have begun to receive a number of party and group invitations. Some of the groups are rather large; many gatherings include people we don't know well; the foster parents association plan a hosted dinner, with Santa, activities and games in a large church recreation room.....I'm guessing about 50-75 people. I usually just respond: "unable to attend". - Has anyone here ever said something to people organizing these "events" (in a nice way....)......as the virus spreads it will have an effect on most of us. Perhaps I should just continue to mind my own business and respond "no thank you..?" If you did say something about using masks, maintaining distance, or questioning the number of attendees.....is there a way to say it nicely?.....Did your comment make any difference?
It is truly hard to believe that so many groups/organizations are continuing to plan these large events when they know what the CDC as was as local govts. are asking us to do this year. For heaven's sake, it ONE holiday season, not the end of the world (unless you happen to succumb to COVID that you contracted at such events!). I would tell those "invitors" that I'm not going to large gatherings in response to logical health decisions.

turkel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Grand Chateau
DH and 2 fellow retirees just had a large 100 plus person retirement party on November 7 th. It was held out doors on one of the retirees 5 acre property. Had a great time.

Many were unable to come, which was fine , no hard feelings. No one lectured us, and we would not lecture anyone who chose not to come. We jokingly called it a protest.

It was a cold day/night. To each his own. Life is full of choices!

GrayFal

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
We attended a funeral yesterday. There is a 30 person limit. It was at a Catholic Church. A guest list was in place. Signs are up that the Church expects every one to wear a mask and seating has been set up for social distancing.

One relative who was not invited to the funeral, which was actually broadcasted online, decided to show up for no other reason than he was not invited. It looked like he had just climbed out of bed wearing dirty cloths and no mask. He sat at the back of the Church un-noticed. After the funeral while family members gathered for 10 minutes being responsible with masks and staying in groups with some distance, this idiot walks in and begins greeting every one. There were at least five very old people in the groups. No one knew what to do. My small group of three left at this point.

I feel like I should have said something but I think that anything I would have said would have come out as combative or angry to this person. I said nothing because of my history with this mentally impaired addict. I find this type of behaviour abhorrent so leaving before things escalate might have been the best choice for us.

Bill

needvaca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MGO, WKV, SVV Bella
We had an extended family wake/funeral last week for my aunt’s mom (we are a close family) , but my mom and I opted not to attend. It was a hard decision. Soooo glad we did.
My aunt texted yesterday that my cousin got positive Covid test results (lab, PCR test) the night of the funeral, along with symptoms, and was largely maskless. So now, they are notifying all the attendees including many older relatives

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I'd be one of the ones going and in fact I am going to one.

But if I were you I would just graciously decline. You don't owe any explanations and I am sure no one is asking for one.

1Kflyerguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
My wife and I did attend a funeral last Friday as way to support my sister-in-law who lost her father. The event was held outdoors and pretty much everyone was masked up. I was annoyed to discover that my 90 year old father-in-law decided to attend. He announced at the funeral that his senior living facility has gone into a lockdown to due to a number of residents and staff testing positive. He was quite proud of the fact that he was able to sneak out...

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
Where I am, here in Fl, I see the gatherings split right along party lines. My large family thru marriage stays maskless, plays pool in bars, and is having their annual Thanksgiving dinner.
My newer friends follow science. I do what they do and keep my mouth shut.

I do not agree with this at all. Covid is not political. In CA, where there are mostly liberals, cases are surging. People seem to make their own rules and then finger point at others.

presley

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've been telling people that I am not attending because of Covid. I did have one person tell me that they were all getting tested a week before. I said that I was going to be around people over the weekend and I could bring Covid to them and I wasn't going to do that.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
I do not agree with this at all. Covid is not political. In CA, where there are mostly liberals, cases are surging. People seem to make their own rules and then finger point at others.

The juxtaposition of these two sentences brought a smile to my face this morning, TravelTime! Thanks.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.

California is not much different than the country as a whole.

fb78ee671155b54e168dec5af081b5db.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
This is a good summary of how our choices in these situations impact the spread of C19. Please take the time to read it in full (it’s not long).

Your Individually Rational Choice Is Collectively Disastrous
Stopping the virus from spreading requires us to override our basic intuitions.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
California is not much different than the country as a whole.

fb78ee671155b54e168dec5af081b5db.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

California is very much different than the country as a whole. Your map shows geography not population. The country is not 2/3 democrat. In CA, the conservative areas are smaller rural towns. That aspect does mirror the country but even in the rural areas, it is not super conservative by national standards. It is still tolerable.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
California is very much different than the country as a whole. Your map shows geography not population. The country is not 2/3 democrat. In CA, the conservative areas are smaller rural towns. That aspect does mirror the country but even in the rural areas, it is not super conservative by national standards. It is still tolerable.

Ever heard of Orange County? Not very rural...

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
This is a good summary of how our choices in these situations impact the spread of C19. Please take the time to read it in full (it’s not long).

Your Individually Rational Choice Is Collectively Disastrous
Stopping the virus from spreading requires us to override our basic intuitions.

I agree with many of his assumptions and I can think of many more reasons why people do not follow Covid guidelines based on psychological research. However, pointing out the biases probably is not the solution. Even he did not adhere to a basic safety guideline and he is aware of the risks and biases. I do agree with some things he said. I think if we want to change behavior over time, then creating new etiquette for social behavior around hygiene may work. He mentions how young people sneeze into their arm. He mentioned learning how to decline a hand shake. These are good examples of how hygiene practices/values can change over time. I also think public education campaigns like those done to encourage people to stop smoking, don’t drink and drive, practice safe sex and contraception and wear seatbelts is another good idea for long term behavior change. However in spite of all this, I think a large percentage of the population will not comply esp once the threat of Covid dissipates. Many people will still do things that are not safe for them and others because of these and other biases.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Ever heard of Orange County? Not very rural...

Orange County is becoming more blue over time. OC voted for Biden in this election. I think they voted for Hillary in the last election too.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Orange County is becoming more blue over time. OC voted for Biden in this election. I think they voted for Hillary in the last election too.

The point is that not all conservative areas of California are rural. And fwiw, you are making this thread very political.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The point is that not all conservative areas of California are rural. And fwiw, you are making this thread very political.

I was responding to JudyH’s comment. I did not start this discussion. I am only trying to correct some false statements about the data. It is true now that all the coastal and non rural areas of CA are blue based on presidential elections. Even the rural areas are a lot less conservative than the rest of the country. We currently live in a conservative semi rural part of CA and have also lived in the most liberal parts of California. Even the map posted by SmithOp supports this.

turkel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Grand Chateau
Tolerable?

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
yep,

"mostly liberals where covid cases are surging"

here we go again ;)o_O:poop:

Actually some people on this thread think it is the opposite. I said Covid is not political so it is surging equally regardless of political party. California is about to shut down again because cases are surging.

Status
Not open for further replies.