• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Do you rewash all the kitchen items, what about the coffee pot or kettle?

JohnPaul

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Internationale, HGVC - NYC, Worldmark, Shell Vacations, Sedona Pines, RCI Points, Starwood (Avon, CO)
Not a chance. Go for it but I’ll be on the deck having a drink and watching the sun set - not washing dishes.

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, Westgate (second cousin, twice removed)
We don't use the tub, but the toilet I certainly Lysol down, especially the flush lever.

Funny thing is tonight I went into the silverware draw in my house and noticed all the crumbs and decided to clean it out. If I would have found THAT many crumbs in a TS...I would have complained. But...they are my crumbs :) In all fairness, TS are cleaner than my house, especially the refrigerator. But, nope......visions of stupid people licking spoons and putting them back in the draws will get me to wash it all.
If you eat in restaurants, I take it you probably have not worked in the food industry. ;) Then again, maybe you have.:devilish:

moonstone

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)
I put all dishes, glasses, cutlery and serving dishes in the dishwasher when we check-in and let it run while we go for groceries. I rinse out any pots or baking pans when I go to use them. We don't drink coffee so the coffee maker gets stashed on top of the fridge or in a cupboard. I bring my own small electric kettle (much faster & energy efficient than a stove top one) in our timeshare box so I don't use the one (if there is one) in the unit. I also bring my own tea pot with a cozy.

~Diane

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Okay, now I have some questions for those of you who are so fastidious when staying in timeshares.

When you eat at a restaurant do you ask them to rewash your silverware and plates? And yes, if I notice a utensil or glass is dirty I will ask for a clean one.

Do you ask to inspect the kitchen at the restaurant to be sure all of the cookware and food prep services are up to your standard?

When you stay in hotels do you wipe down all surfaces, rewash the linen?

I mean, where do you draw the line? Or do you?

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Okay, now I have some questions for those of you who are so fastidious when staying in timeshares.
DW does check silverware and plates before she uses them, but not just to rewash them wholesale.

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark

When you eat at a restaurant do you ask them to rewash your silverware and plates? And yes, if I notice a utensil or glass is dirty I will ask for a clean one.

Do you ask to inspect the kitchen at the restaurant to be sure all of the cookware and food prep services are up to your standard?

When you stay in hotels do you wipe down all surfaces, rewash the linen?

I mean, where do you draw the line? Or do you?

Once or twice a year when I was working I'd go out for lunch with the owner of my upholstery shop. Didn't matter which of the little restaurants in her part of town that we ate in, she always stuck her first paper napkin in her water glass and wiped down the silverware. That always cracked me up because her desk was always stacked with ever growing piles of bills, and unless one of her designers got exasperated with fabric books strewn everywhere and took a few minutes to try to put things to rights, it was tough to find things tucked in between all the piles of furniture waiting to be worked on or picked back up. Then about 15 years ago she started using my now retired (but I believe still cleans Marge's home) cleaning lady -- oh the stories I'd hear about cat pee and dust badgers! So I thought it was funny how fastidious she was with her eating artillery.

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
... Then about 15 years ago she started using my now retired (but I believe still cleans Marge's home) cleaning lady -- oh the stories I'd hear about cat pee and dust badgers! So I thought it was funny how fastidious she was with her eating artillery.
Oh the duality of Man (or Woman) :LOL:

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill

moonstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

I didn't used to wash everything when we first started timesharing but then I started noticing cups or glasses with lipstick on them or dried food stuck to a plate or in-between the tines of a fork. When our DD worked as a housekeeper/cleaner at a timeshare near our home she said if they were rushed and guests hadn't started the dishwasher before checking out, they'd give everything in it a quick wipe with a wet dishcloth, dry the article and put it away. I don't find it any real trouble to wash everything as I usually empty and re-arrange the cupboards anyways (after taking photos so I know where to put stuff back) to make things easier for me to reach and to make room for groceries. I also bring some rinse agent for the dishwasher so the glasses don't have a soapy taste or water spots. Call me crazy!

~Diane

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
One thing I used to bring my old teapot with me because I could not tell the condition of the one at the timeshare as it had no lid. But mine eventually broke and I threw it out and now I don't stress about it. I have brought my electric kettle to hotels which really works great- nice, hot water.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
One thing I used to bring my old teapot with me because I could not tell the condition of the one at the timeshare as it had no lid. But mine eventually broke and I threw it out and now I don't stress about it. I have brought my electric kettle to hotels which really works great- nice, hot water.
Since we do most of our traveling by airplane we don't bring any appliances with us. Last year when we were staying in a serviced apartment in NYC the little lid thing on the tea kettle broke. They gave us a brand new one, and that one broke as well. Dh said they were just very cheaply made. So he went back to his fall back when someplace doesn't have a teapot. He just uses a pan to heat the water.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Since we do most of our traveling by airplane we don't bring any appliances with us. Last year when we were staying in a serviced apartment in NYC the little lid thing on the tea kettle broke. They gave us a brand new one, and that one broke as well. Dh said they were just very cheaply made. So he went back to his fall back when someplace doesn't have a teapot. He just uses a pan to heat the water.

Sure- right. That works just as well! I dislike using a microwave to heat water. It just takes different to me, but have done that also.

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HVC: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
Our world is covered in germs. Everywhere we go, everywhere we touch, in our home, out shopping, everywhere. Our bodies over time have built up immunities to these germs. Being exposed to them keeps the immunity built up. I won't eat off of a clearly dirty plate, but we don't ususally run everything back through the dishwasher if it otherwise looks clean.
I totally agree. At one point our six grandchildren were in six different schools, including an after school daycare. They helped me develop a very robust immune system, and I won't bother cleaning anything that looked like it was already clean.

geoand

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
We clean seat and table etc when flying. A woman behind me asked why we did this. I showed her the the treated wipe I was using (only had the headrest done & it was basic black. She & the rest on her row all asked if we had any extra wipes. All the people in our row did also. It takes less than 10 minutes for us to wipe down in hotel. It takes about 15 minutes for a TS & just minutes to load the dishwasher. We do most of our traveling during flu season & take flu shots first week in September. We live on the west coast & travel to Hawaii & Manhattan & Palm Springs each year. We don’t purchase “travel protection.”

Kel

TUG Member
Reaction score
We put everything we will use in the dishwasher. I hand wash the coffee pot and run it one time without coffee. We wipe EVERYTHING in the unit with Clorox wipes.

Years ago we stayed at a resort that had daily housekeeping and one day we came back as the housekeeper was finishing up. We watched her finish wiping the bathroom counter and then she gave the kitchen counter a quick wipe with the same rag before she left the unit.

She changed our timesharing arrival routine forever. And, we put the do not disturb sign out so we don't have to Clorox the unit again. LOL

We also bring our own pillows and we bring 4 extra pillowcases to put over extra pillows we may want to use.

Happy travels!

Last edited:

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
For us it starts on the airplane with the wipes. At the condo we usually rinse everything for food with hot water. We also cover the couch with a sheet. Wiping the remote, door handles and toilet handle too. It is a 3 minute process.

sometimes we can't and don't really sorry about it.

Bill

mentalbreak

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just read about the washing-the-underwear-in-the-coffee-pot thing on a Marriott board on FB. What the heck? Who would even think of doing that? There's a bathroom with a sink RIGHT THERE!
It’s a thing amongst some flight attendants. I don’t know how common, but common enough that I would not use a hotel coffee pot and definitely wash before using in a timeshare (surely when the unit has laundry, one would choose the washer/dryer over the coffee pot, right?!?).

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
images (3).jpg

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I never believed in what they call "germ theory" anyway.
-- It's just what so-called scientists and pretend-doctors say.

But even if was true, I have a fairly decent immune system.

moonstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

We also cover the couch with a sheet.

I have only ever felt the need to do that once. It was quite a few years ago at The Silver Beach Club in Daytona Beach prior to their closing for refurbishment after major hurricane damage. The couch and arm chair were really gross! A combination of sunscreen, sand and plain old dirt! We went to a thrift shop and bought 2 twin sized sheets to put over the furniture for our stay.

~Diane

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration sent a warning letter to the maker of Purell this month for inappropriately marketing the hand sanitizer as a way to prevent an array of diseases. :eek:

The FDA says GOJO Industries Inc., Purell's parent company, made a series of unverified claims suggesting that over-the-counter hand sanitizer is an effective way of preventing Ebola, MRSA, VRE, norovirus, flu, and Candida auris, according to the Jan. 17 letter.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
I think they have two choices: 1. Stop advertising it in this manner; or, 2. Go through all the procedures, testing, expenses, etc as a company has to do for OTC Medicine.

1Kflyerguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
I usually check the dishes and silverware as i pull it out of the drawer, but we don't wash everything.

But I do use sanitizing wipes to clean the airplane tray table and the remote control in hotels and timeshares...