• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Do you know your General Manager?

Quilter

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
The above is a good reason to know who your Board is, what they have done through the year and how they interact with management.

The Board positions can sometimes be a thankless job but if someone competes to have the position then they should be willing to converse with the owners they represent.

Our Board at Ocean Pointe is very open to interaction with other owners. They have had a good relationship with the GM and her staff. The intentions of both has been to continually maintain and improve the resort. Both are cognizant that the responses to the vacation surveys directly relates to how well they are doing their jobs. The praises of that Board far outweigh criticism. As you can imagine, recognition for things done well is incentive to continue doing things well.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
The above is a good reason to know who your Board is, what they have done through the year and how they interact with management.

The Board positions can sometimes be a thankless job but if someone competes to have the position then they should be willing to converse with the owners they represent.

Our Board at Ocean Pointe is very open to interaction with other owners. They have had a good relationship with the GM and her staff. The intentions of both has been to continually maintain and improve the resort. Both are cognizant that the responses to the vacation surveys directly relates to how well they are doing their jobs. The praises of that Board far outweigh criticism. As you can imagine, recognition for things done well is incentive to continue doing things well.

Of the three (3) only "coa" is not in capital letters.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make? What you quoted from the website applies to every resort - annual Budget Statements, Annual Meeting notices and voting proxies, and annual+ GM's newsletters are sent out on behalf of every resort. Other resort boards may not be as openly available as Ocean Pointe's, on Facebook for example, but that doesn't automatically mean that they're not accessible and/or that they're not doing a good job.

The true test is what happens when a board member is put into or puts him/herself into a position that conflicts with MVW's goals. Here on TUG we've seen board members who have been highly supported by other owners be pushed out and/or silenced by MVW. I have no doubt that it'll happen every time, each time more creatively than the last but still well within what's allowed by the governing docs.

The board members can only do so much. Whatever they individually choose to do, MVW is watching them, too.

Quilter

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Snowbound Sue,

The point I began with got side-tracked. I used the quote from the website mostly to respond to the confusion around the term COA. Since the Board represents the interests of the entire owner body you could refer to the Board as the COA.

However, the quote brings up a good point, and that is owner's should be attached to their Board at the very minimum by returning the Limited Proxy.

I began the thread because I was interested to know how many Tuggers take an interest in knowing their General Manager and the accomplishments of their Board. During the owner update at Grande Ocean I was pleasantly surprised by the GM's praise of the COA's negotiations with Marriott about terms regarding the new sales center. The COA (and the GM referred to the Board as the COA) also negotiated with Marriott to gain the deeded rights to the square footage occupied by the exercise room. The COA even negotiated about the walking route which will be used by the Sales staff if they choose to bring prospective buyers around the resort.

After attending the GO meeting it was announced we would be losing our GM at Ocean Pointe. Owners have expressed a level of anxiety wondering who will replace her. She was good. In her farewell letter forwarded to the OP newsgroup she said she will miss "our caring and engaged Ocean Pointe owners. "

These combined got me to wondering if the majority of "informed" Tuggers are savvy to supporting their COA's. Are they in tune with the issues faced by the Board and Management?

So I asked.

If you haven't been involved with what's on the agenda at your resort, do these questions give you incentive to take an interest?

Personally, I've been primarily invested in Ocean Pointe even though we also own at Grande Ocean, Harbour Pointe, Canyon Villas and Manor Club. I had hoped this thread would bring more input from a wide range of resorts about the overall management by GM's and COA's.

Cheers,
Suzzanne

Last edited: