• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Do you know what COVID-19 means?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carta

TUG Member
Reaction score
Most people I talk to have no idea; [edited].... CO stands for corona; VI for virus, 19 is for the year it came about, (2019) and D for disease....

Last edited by a moderator:

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HVC: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
Even after editing, it sounds too political.

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have known that almost since Day 1.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
I have known that almost since Day 1.
I didn't. I assumed the name came from somewhere, but until it was spelled out for me I didn't know what. However, I didn't try to guess.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
Most people I talk to have no idea; [edited].... CO stands for corona; VI for virus, 19 is for the year it came about, (2019) and D for disease....

We were in Mexico when the news came full on with Corona Virus. We immediately stopped drinking Corona and started drinking Pacifico, lol. Thanks for clearing that up !

Bill

tugcccsp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MMOC Lahaina Villas
MMOC Napili Villas
Marriott Summit Watch
Marriott Mountainside
Welk-Escondido
Unofficially, it is the Wuhan Flu, from Wuhan, China. Many flu viruses are named for the city or region of origin. There are exceptions such as Spanish Flu. It didn't originate in Spain.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
You can call it anything you want "unofficially," but calling it the "flu" is not factually correct, and calling it the "Wuhan Flu," may be offensive. Hopefully, they won't start calling it the "US Flu," since we have the distinction of having the most cases!

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
Unofficially, it is the Wuhan Flu, from Wuhan, China. Many flu viruses are named for the city or region of origin. There are exceptions such as Spanish Flu. It didn't originate in Spain.
Understood, but everything is too political these days.

Ebola is named after initial cases discovered by the Ebola River
Zika is named after initial cases discovered near the Zika Forest

But Wuhan Flu has geopolitical connotations, so we can't call it by it's (perceived?) origin. Your point about the Spanish Flu is a good one as I understand it is not known where it originated.

Strange days for sure....

Best,

Greg

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

bluehende

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Understood, but everything is too political these days.

Ebola is named after initial cases discovered by the Ebola River
Zika is named after initial cases discovered near the Zika Forest

But Wuhan Flu has geopolitical connotations, so we can't call it by it's (perceived?) origin. Your point about the Spanish Flu is a good one as I understand it is not known where it originated.

Strange days for sure....

Best,

Greg
The First known case was in an Army base in Kansas.

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2

But WAIT, there's more!

Naming the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) and the virus that causes it:
Official names have been announced for the virus responsible for COVID-19 (previously known as “2019 novel coronavirus”) and the disease it causes. The official names are:
Disease = coronavirus disease (COVID-19)
Virus = severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2)

ASlak

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview at Las Vegas
bluehende is correct, the first cases of the "Spanish Flu" were reported in Fort Riley, Kansas, and the virus was apparently spread worldwide by infected American soldiers from there on during 1918 (WW 1). If anything, it should be called the "American Flu," since a number of experts seem to think that it got got its start in Kansas, although that is not definitive. The reason "Wuhan Flu" is deemed offensive is because it can stigmatize an area or culture - political correctness I would suppose. After all, AIDS was called "gay-related immune deficiency" in its early days. And the "Swine Flu" of 2009 was not transmitted by pigs, but the association still hurt pork producers. Arab countries were certainly not happy about the MERS of 2014 - Middle East Respiratory Syndrome. Here are the WHO's current disease naming guidelines: http://apps.who.int/iris/bitstream/10665/163636/1/WHO_HSE_FOS_15.1_eng.pdf?ua=1 Of course, potentially offensive names are easier to remember (and say) then the purely scientific ones.

Brett

Reaction score
bluehende is correct, the first cases of the "Spanish Flu" were reported in Fort Riley, Kansas, and the virus was apparently spread worldwide by infected American soldiers from there on during 1918 (WW 1). If anything, it should be called the "American Flu," since a number of experts seem to think that it got got its start in Kansas, although that is not definitive. The reason "Wuhan Flu" is deemed offensive is because it can stigmatize an area or culture - political correctness I would suppose. After all, AIDS was called "gay-related immune deficiency" in its early days. And the "Swine Flu" of 2009 was not transmitted by pigs, but the association still hurt pork producers. Arab countries were certainly not happy about the MERS of 2014 - Middle East Respiratory Syndrome. Here are the WHO's current disease naming guidelines: http://apps.who.int/iris/bitstream/10665/163636/1/WHO_HSE_FOS_15.1_eng.pdf?ua=1 Of course, potentially offensive names are easier to remember (and say) then the purely scientific ones.

yes - I've seen articles describing the history of the "Spanish Flu" - why is was called "Spanish" and quarantines in the early part of the last century

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
????? Why is it offensive?

Because some people have used it and variations thereof to slam China.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
China deserves a little slamming, although the virus would likely have spread far and wide eventually anyway.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
China deserves a little slamming, although the virus would likely have spread far and wide eventually anyway.
Criticizing their government on how they handled the Covid-19 situation is one thing; making racist remarks such as "Kung Flu" is something completely different, IMO.

Kurt

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Criticizing their government on how they handled the Covid-19 situation is one thing; making racist remarks such as "Kung Flu" is something completely different, IMO.
Kurt
I never heard that phrase until today.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
I never heard that phrase until today.
You hadn't heard "Kung Flu" until today? It's become one of Trump's favorite phrases recently.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We're done here...

Status
Not open for further replies.