• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Do you intend to wear a GPS wristband in Hawaii?

MommaBear

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
If we were to rank the resorts, what are the best suited for a bubble? I am thinking between Marriott Ko Olina and one of the HGVC resorts in Honolulu.
I'd enjoy the Westin Kaanapali and Westin Kaanapali North Resort Villas.. not sure whether they could include Westin Nanea.

mrsmusic

TUG Member
Reaction score
If we were to rank the resorts, what are the best suited for a bubble? I am thinking between Marriott Ko Olina and one of the HGVC resorts in Honolulu.
Yeah I'd be fine with Marriott Ko'Olina as long as we had access to the beach and pools, and some food :)
HGVC on Waikiki would be ok too but would be a lot harder to "bubble" due to adjoining areas.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yeah I'd be fine with Marriott Ko'Olina as long as we had access to the beach and pools, and some food :)
HGVC on Waikiki would be ok too but would be a lot harder to "bubble" due to adjoining areas.
That is what I thought. Initially I found the idea of a bubble ridiculous, at least for our situation, I would not go through all the hassle of booking just to stay confined at the resort. But given that we already have a booking for December at MKO (including flights) it made me think I should not cancel my reservation yet. A resort bubble would eliminate the risk of a completely ruined vacation (stuck in the room) in case the test results do not come in time. Not ideal of course but still better on the beach than in Canada during the winter.

Last edited:

Foggy1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not ideal of course but still better on the beach than in Canada during the winter.
This is true. However, remember that beaches are owned by the state and are not resort property. The article said that contact with people outside the resort bubble and locals would be protected against. My guess would be that beaches would be off limit until quarantine was over.

1Kflyerguy

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
This is true. However, remember that beaches are owned by the state and are not resort property. The article said that contact with people outside the resort bubble and locals would be protected against. My guess would be that beaches would be off limit until quarantine was over.

While it's true the beaches are public, but my guess is they find a way to provide the guests with access to specific beaches. If they provide a way for people to come to Hawaii but forbid you from enjoying the ocean, the number of people that actually go to Hawaii will remain very small.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
Agree. The huge death rate in NY/NJ/CT relative to what other hot spots are experiencing now certainly would seem to indicate that actual caseloads in NY/NJ/CT were orders of magnitude higher than what was detected. Better treatment options now may explain some of the difference, but that is likely only a small part of the difference. I just saw this article below on a huge NYC antibody study. Some areas over 50% have antibodies, but much lower in the more affluent areas of Manhattan. Overall average for the city was like 27%. If you factor in the T-Cell resistance (which based on an article I saw yesterday seems not really to be "immunity" per se, but increases the chances of mild or asymptomatic cases), I suspect NYC could probably re-open their economy faster than they have. Right now though, they don't seem to have the political motivation. I fear many wonderful small family-owned restaurants in the city will continue to be devastated and will never recover.

NY Times: NYC Antibody study

I didn't realize that you had Covid. Glad you recovered well.
Thank you. Yeah, me and the rest of NY! Sadly, I think NYC is done. The shut down has decimated the city and (not to be political) but our Governor is doing more harm than good. He and the mayor think “New York has been through worse and will be back better than ever” I completely disagree. This may be the worst. Yes, even worse than 9-11. The loss of life is greater and the economic fallout will be worse. I see no less than 5 moving trucks a day taking people out of the city. I myself am at the point.

Tamaradarann

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
Thank you. Yeah, me and the rest of NY! Sadly, I think NYC is done. The shut down has decimated the city and (not to be political) but our Governor is doing more harm than good. He and the mayor think “New York has been through worse and will be back better than ever” I completely disagree. This may be the worst. Yes, even worse than 9-11. The loss of life is greater and the economic fallout will be worse. I see no less than 5 moving trucks a day taking people out of the city. I myself am at the point.

I agree with you on alot of points here. This is worse than 9-11, even for NYC, we live on Long Island so we don't personally know but from what I have heard this shutdown has decimated the city as we know it. From an business and economic point of view the Governor has done more harm than good, however, from a life saving point of view the Governor gets straight A's.

The same things could be said about Hawaii and Governor Ige in Hawaii evern though the numbers there have recently gone up. If the usual mass of tourists had been coming to Hawaii since March who know how many cases thee would have been and people would have died!

As far as people moving out of the city, I can't speak for NYC but I can speak for Honolulu. We own a high rise condo in Honolulu as well as a private house. We left Honolulu in late March and have been on Long Island since. We are so glad we did. While we love the Honolulu that we know from pre Covid, we don't love the Honolulu that we have heard and read about now: We love being able to take an elevator without worrying to walk the beach with thousands of people around swiming, surfing, and enjoying Waikiki Beach or walking down Kalakaua at night with thousands of people safely walking around enjoying the street performers, lilttle shows, shops, stores, restaurants, and Blue Note shows. We love taking a bus to live theatre all over Honolulu and safely coming back at night. We love walking or taking the bus to safely go to Ala Moana Mall, Target, Walmart, Sam's to get groceries or to visit other shops.

That is NOT Honolulu now! The elevators, the walking around at night, the buses all now present Corana Virus or Mugging danger in Honolulu. The crowds of happy people are gone, leaving the streets mostly to the homeless and undesirables that commit crime. There are no live shows, many of the restaurants and shops are closed. On Long Island we can walk out of our private house to safely enjoy outside with our inground pool. We have cars right outside to take us door to door safely to pick up food curbside so no contact with people. We get pizza delivered once a week to our porch so no contact with people. We get packages delivered to our porch so no contact with people. It is safe, crime is not a threat.

I don't know about those people you see moving out of NYC, but if they loved NYC like we loved Honolulu and NYC city has changed like Honolulu has changed I don't blame them. They are saying to themselves; Why do I want to be HERE!

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree with you on alot of points here. This is worse than 9-11, even for NYC, we live on Long Island so we don't personally know but from what I have heard this shutdown has decimated the city as we know it. From an business and economic point of view the Governor has done more harm than good, however, from a life saving point of view the Governor gets straight A's.

The same things could be said about Hawaii and Governor Ige in Hawaii evern though the numbers there have recently gone up. If the usual mass of tourists had been coming to Hawaii since March who know how many cases thee would have been and people would have died!

As far as people moving out of the city, I can't speak for NYC but I can speak for Honolulu. We own a high rise condo in Honolulu as well as a private house. We left Honolulu in late March and have been on Long Island since. We are so glad we did. While we love the Honolulu that we know from pre Covid, we don't love the Honolulu that we have heard and read about now: We love being able to take an elevator without worrying to walk the beach with thousands of people around swiming, surfing, and enjoying Waikiki Beach or walking down Kalakaua at night with thousands of people safely walking around enjoying the street performers, lilttle shows, shops, stores, restaurants, and Blue Note shows. We love taking a bus to live theatre all over Honolulu and safely coming back at night. We love walking or taking the bus to safely go to Ala Moana Mall, Target, Walmart, Sam's to get groceries or to visit other shops.

That is NOT Honolulu now! The elevators, the walking around at night, the buses all now present Corana Virus or Mugging danger in Honolulu. The crowds of happy people are gone, leaving the streets mostly to the homeless and undesirables that commit crime. There are no live shows, many of the restaurants and shops are closed. On Long Island we can walk out of our private house to safely enjoy outside with our inground pool. We have cars right outside to take us door to door safely to pick up food curbside so no contact with people. We get pizza delivered once a week to our porch so no contact with people. We get packages delivered to our porch so no contact with people. It is safe, crime is not a threat.

I don't know about those people you see moving out of NYC, but if they loved NYC like we loved Honolulu and NYC city has changed like Honolulu has changed I don't blame them. They are saying to themselves; Why do I want to be HERE!
NYC has the second highest rate of deaths per million in the nation. I am not getting the part with straight A's.

@CPNI I read the moving companies have doubled the volume compared to last year

Last edited:

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
NYC has the second highest rate of deaths per million in the nation. I am not getting the part with straight A's.

Yeah the moving companies are very busy. It’s scary to think of what the future of nyc will be. The crime in the city is skyrocketing. Cuomo and Deblasio have a lot of work on their hands. Let’s see what they are truly made of. It’s going to be bad!

Country Roads

Reaction score

For those interested, New York City rents slide as vacancies hit a new record.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV

I forgot to mention the crime spike in nyc. It’s through the roof

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place

A few months ago it had not only had the HIGHEST death rate in the country, it had more deaths than the rest of the country put together. IT WAS THE CENTER OF THE CORONAVIRUS in the US. However, through strick social distancing restrictions and wearing masks we now have one of the lowest amount of new cases and deaths in the country. It has been an amazing reversal which NY is proud of any many other states which they could emulate.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

You didn't have to mention it for my edification. We hear NYC news here all the time. As in Honolulu the tourists are gone. There is nothing to do in the city so the residents either don't go out or go out just to get food. The streets are being taken over by the homeless and criminals.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
You didn't have to mention it for my edification. We hear NYC news here all the time. As in Honolulu the tourists are gone. There is nothing to do in the city so the residents either don't go out or go out just to get food. The streets are being taken over by the homeless and criminals.
I understand your point of view but if you give NY a straight A I am wondering how one would grade the states that have 3 or 4 times less deaths per million.

Last edited:

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Yeah the moving companies are very busy. It’s scary to think of what the future of nyc will be. The crime in the city is skyrocketing. Cuomo and Deblasio have a lot of work on their hands. Let’s see what they are truly made of. It’s going to be bad!

Yes they do. So do Governor Ige of Hawaii and Mayor Caldwell of Honolulu. However, I believe both of them are term limited this year so new people will have to deal with it starting in January. Every Govermor and Mayor of major cities will have alot to deal with and limited funds to do it with. That is why it is essential they get some type of relief from the Federal Government. Otherwise they will either not have the money to do what is necessary or will need to raise taxes exorbitantly.

We felt the same way as those using the moving companies, however, we didn't need a moving company just a direct flight from Honolulu to JFK in March. We had the foresight to see it coming and as I often say "Got out of Dodge".

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Yes they do. So do Governor Ige of Hawaii and Mayor Caldwell of Honolulu. However, I believe both of them are term limited this year so new people will have to deal with it starting in January. Every Govermor and Mayor of major cities will have alot to deal with and limited funds to do it with. That is why it is essential they get some type of relief from the Federal Government. Otherwise they will either not have the money to do what is necessary or will need to raise taxes exorbitantly.

We felt the same way as those using the moving companies, however, we didn't need a moving company just a direct flight from Honolulu to JFK in March. We had the foresight to see it coming and as I often say "Got out of Dodge".

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I understand your point of view but if you give NY a straight A I am wondering how one would grade the states that have 3 or 4 times less deaths per million.
You really can't compare rural areas to urban areas. If you remove NYC deaths out of NY's numbers it's among the best outcomes. Unfortunately NYC was hit with the virus before they even knew it existed and it spread like wildfire but since the initial death toll it's been well managed. The nursing home scandal is something history will judge if Cuomo handled that ineptly [political comment removed]

Last edited by a moderator:

lynne

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pacific Grove Plaza
Tamaradarann said:

There will be a new Honolulu major, but Gov. Ige's term does not end until December 2022.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score

Assuming the Mayor is doing his job, dealing with criminals isn't rocket science. Arrest them, lock them up, and follow the due process of law.

Dealing with the homeless is another issue entirely, & it has been a Honolulu eyesore and problem for at least 15 years. This is the toughest issue Honolulu has to deal with, and unless and until you provide jobs or institutionalization then you have, and will continue to have serious issues that no one seems able or willing to deal with. Hence, the homeless set up tents all over the city parks and live in paradise compliments of the taxpayers. The word is out there and more join in every year creating a long, slow spiral downhill.

This is one reason I won't go to Honolulu when I visit Hawaii.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

The states that have 3 or 4 times less deaths per million never had the vast amount of virus spread that New York had to begin with. They might not have had to do anything special. It is really easy to go from Good to Very Good. It is really hard to go from Horrible to Good.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Assuming the Mayor is doing his job, dealing with criminals isn't rocket science. Arrest them, lock them up, and follow the due process of law.

Dealing with the homeless is another issue entirely, & it has been a Honolulu eyesore and problem for at least 15 years. This is the toughest issue Honolulu has to deal with, and unless and until you provide jobs or institutionalization then you have, and will continue to have serious issues that no one seems able or willing to deal with. Hence, the homeless set up tents all over the city parks and live in paradise compliments of the taxpayers. The word is out there and more join in every year creating a long, slow spiral downhill.

This is one reason I won't go to Honolulu when I visit Hawaii.

I wish that what you are saying about dealing with criminals was that easy as you say, and so does every police officer in the country.

Usually the homeless problem, while at times can be annoying, doesn't bother us. While we never give them money we have given them clothing and food as well as encouragement. We have talked to a number of the homeless and have had 4 sucesses with getting them off the street and in good jobs, two women and two men. When we were in Hilo about 5 years ago we had lunch with one of the women and she actually insisted on paying for all of our lunches.

However, now I understand the problem has gotten worse and the homeless can't shelter at home.

As I said we love Honolulu as we knew it, right now we wouldn't go there either.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
You really can't compare rural areas to urban areas. If you remove NYC deaths out of NY's numbers it's among the best outcomes. Unfortunately NYC was hit with the virus before they even knew it existed and it spread like wildfire but since the initial death toll it's been well managed. The nursing home scandal is something history will judge if Cuomo handled that ineptly

I agree with what you are saying about New York City. However, Nassau and Suffolk County which have combined about 3 million people were also in the same boat as NYC.

The Nursing Home Scandal was horrible. I don't know all the details of it but I guess when they sent coronavirus patients home to shelter and quaratine they neglected to think about the fact that Nursing Homes were their home. They should have been sent to another isolated location.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
You really can't compare rural areas to urban areas. If you remove NYC deaths out of NY's numbers it's among the best outcomes. Unfortunately NYC was hit with the virus before they even knew it existed and it spread like wildfire but since the initial death toll it's been well managed. The nursing home scandal is something history will judge if Cuomo handled that ineptly [political comment removed]
Well they knew it existed, they just told everyone to “go to the movies”. Our health commissioner told everyone in early March to make sure they head to the Parade because she would surely be there. They weren’t looking ahead or looking at the present at the time. They themselves didn’t take it seriously in early March. Private companies took it upon themselves to shut down before the state guidance.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
I wish that what you are saying about dealing with criminals was that easy as you say, and so does every police officer in the country.

Usually the homeless problem, while at times can be annoying, doesn't bother us. While we never give them money we have given them clothing and food as well as encouragement. We have talked to a number of the homeless and have had 4 sucesses with getting them off the street and in good jobs, two women and two men. When we were in Hilo about 5 years ago we had lunch with one of the women and she actually insisted on paying for all of our lunches.

However, now I understand the problem has gotten worse and the homeless can't shelter at home.

As I said we love Honolulu as we knew it, right now we wouldn't go there either.

One thing I question is how will the new Honolulu Rail System affect the homeless issue when it finally opens in 2025....? Will more homeless come into the city from East Kapolei now that there will be a direct rail link? Will the rail system allow the homeless to leave Honolulu and escape to the suburbs instead? I don't think anyone knows for sure what the evolution of elevated rapid transit will do to the city in the long run (other than the hope to get the excessive cars off the roads).

I believe this high speed transit system has been under construction since 2011, and is due to be finished by 2025 or 2026 if the politics and money allow it to be completed.

tugcccsp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MMOC Lahaina Villas
MMOC Napili Villas
Marriott Summit Watch
Marriott Mountainside
Welk-Escondido
My guess is that the resort or hotel will be required to install a fence on the resort or hotel property blocking off access to the beach or public walks next to the beach. There may be a requirement to have indoor space of sufficient size to receive and care for people that become positive with COVID-19. I think the hotels with convention/seminar space would be more suited for this. I guess the wrist bands may remove the need for the fence.