• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

do you have matching name brand appliances

chicklet

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm out shopping for new appliances (after 27 years) and the best price i got were for different namebrands ie. hotpoint stove, maytag fridge & g.e. microwave. My husband said that they should all be the same name.....So my question is to you do your appliances all match?

Fern Modena

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
All of my appliances match as far as brand go, but most of them came with the house. The fridge did not, I already owned it, and it just happened to be the same brand.

The upside of matching appliances would come when you need repair (unless you use an independent repair person who works on many brands). When I needed a microwave repair, I had the same guy look at my ice and water through the door. He fixed both, and as a side thing, he didn't charge repeated visits, although it took him multiple visits due to parts, etc. When a girlfriend needed her fridge repaired recently (a developer repair messed up her door handles), I suggested that she order filters to be replaced at the same time. Why not?

Next time I get a fridge, however, I will probably get an LG, even though my other appliances are GE Profile. Why? Because I find that LG's fridge design is much more suited to my needs and lifestyle.

So I've told you both sides of the coin. Don't shop just by price, but shop by features as well. Make sure you get the features and styling (usability) you want, because good appliances are things you will live with for many years.

That's my opinion, for what it is worth.

Fern

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Nope. Because I think no one maker makes quality everything. We have a Viking range, Amana fridge, Kitchenaid dishwasher, (matching, new) Frigidaire washer/dryer. It wasn't out of design. Like you, it just worked out that way as they were all purchased at different times. Some were in the house when we bought it.

Even if we were going to get rid of every appliance, I wouldn't get all the same brand. Most come in enough variety of finishes that you can get a similar/matching look while going with those that have better quality or reliability ratings. IMHO

Jim Ricks

swift

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
No mine are not the same. However, their design and color all flow well together. They are all black with stainless steel trimmings. This, price and features were all the determining factors when I purchased them.

Twinkstarr

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't match other than color. GE Monogram built in frig, GE Profile range/micro(would love a Viking range!), Fisher-Paykel dishdrawers.

Whirlpool washer/Maytag dryer(the Maytag washer died and I didn't feel the need to buy a new dryer).

Cathyb

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm out shopping for new appliances (after 27 years) and the best price i got were for different namebrands ie. hotpoint stove, maytag fridge & g.e. microwave. My husband said that they should all be the same name.....So my question is to you do your appliances all match?
Funny you should ask :) Hated my black appliances when we bought this house 6 yrs ago--wanted stainless steel. First our refrigerator blew an ice line and flooded kitchen so we had to buy a new one; then the dishwasher was on GE recall list and we got $250 toward new one (got SS one) and then Uncle Sam sent us money so we re-energized the nation :eek: and replaced microwave and oven with SS ones -- all GE Profile. I am a very happy camper now >:D<

borntotravel

TUG Member
Reaction score
I do not match the brand name - but the color has to be the same. I try to get the most reliable (as recommended by consumer reports) with the features I want in my price range. I used to purchase only Kenmore appliances, but now I have found they are one of the worst brands as far as reliability.:mad:

IreneLF

TUG Member
Reaction score
Nope but they all look similar and match nicely. More important to me to have features I want, a good price and reliability -- and no one mfr does all well IMO.

ricoba

TUG Member
Reaction score
We used to have all Frigidaire - until the microwave and the dishwasher both died. We had a black/stainless look. But the new(second hand) dishwasher is now bisque...but it works better than the old one, so we are happy! :)

AwayWeGo

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
Mix & Match -- Appliance Brands Are Mox Nix.

Roper washer (Whirlpool clone).

Sears dryer, also dishwasher & electric range & microwave.

Frigidaire (Electrolux) refrigerator-freezer.

In-Sink-Erator disposer.

Hamilton Beach toaster-oven.

Black & Decker can opener, also & pop-up toaster.

Mr. Coffee coffee maker.

Kitchen Aid compactor, also coffee grinder.

Westinghouse deep freeze.

Panasonic pencil sharpener.

We have a (slight) preference around here for Sears & Whrlpool appliances, but not a strong enough preference to translate into actual brand loyalty.

So it goes -- not that there's anything wrong with that.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

Texasbelle

TUG Member
Reaction score
No. Not all appliances were bought at the same time. For a long time we had a J C Penney avocado green dryer, because dryers last forever! All it ever needed was a belt until it died. New one is GE. The washer is Maytag, a great brand, but it "walks" so the next one will not be Maytag. [Both are white.] Refrigerator is Amana, as large as will fit the available space, and is off-white. Next one will have the double door top and freezer on the bottom. Double ovens are GE, black glass. Stove top is 5 burner Jennaire, black glass. Dishwasher is GE off-white. Microwave is Tappan, off-white. The small appliances are whatever was recommended by Consumer Reports or was on sale. Friends who just had a kitchen re-do have all stainless steel appliances. We still have a stainless steel sink and now it is "in." I would check Consumer Reports before buying any large items. We never get the extended warranties and this has worked out okay.

AwayWeGo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
Maytags Are Now Whirlpools. So It Goes.

The washer is Maytag, a great brand, but it "walks" so the next one will not be Maytag.
Maytag got bought out by Whirlpool.

Whirlpool still makes & sells Maytag washers, but now they're simply Whirlpool washers carrying the Maytag brand on their control panels -- not that there's anything wrong with Whirlpool washers.

So if you get a new Maytag washer, fret not. Under the sheet metal, it's a non-walking Whirlpool.

shagnut

TUG Member
Reaction score
None of my match except the color. Some of my customers were very much obsessed with getting the same brand, others like me buy what they want. Please don't buy a HotPoint stove, they are the low end of Ge and Ge is going out of the appliance business. (JMHO) shaggy

Egret1986

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, I have all the same; the opportunity presented itself first time in 25 years

We just completed a much awaited home remodel with the kithen being the main thing, with everything else falling in line behind. The main purchase was the wall ovens. We wanted wall ovens with a combination oven and microwave and we wanted both ovens to have convection capabilities. Only two makers with this feature were Kitchenaid and Whirlpool. We purchased five appliances and all the appliances had the features we wanted in each. We never had matching appliances before. We had considered mixing a couple brands, but there was a special sale and rebates and we are very excited about our purchases and all our new stuff! But like others have said; features, price and reliability are the big things to consider.

laura1957

TUG Member
Reaction score
When my washer went up 2 years ago, and my dryer was 20 years old - I replaced them with a matching Maytag Neptune set. When we replaced my stove 2 years ago, we just purchased the stove I liked the look and features of the best - which happened to be a Kenmore. My side by side refrig/freezer is an Amana, and my large freezer is a Gibson. ALL white. When something needs to be replaced I will just buy whatever brand suits me at the time.

lvhmbh

TUG Member
Reaction score
Most of my kitchen stuff is Miele - double ovens, steam oven, stove w/grill, built in coffee machine, cup warmer and food warmer and dishwasher. Love them all - fridge is Sub Zero.

luvsvacation22

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Grand Californian-VGC
Animal Kingdom-AKV
They match as in they are all stainless, but not the same brand names. I have a Samsung French door refrigerator, with two additional compartments on the bottom. All four sections have their own compressors; the lower two drawers can be converted to refrigerator or freezer, as the need arises. The water and ice in the door is digital and an led light (a recent purchase)! I also have a GE profile convection, conventional, microwave ( all in one), another recent purchase. I have a GE Café duel fuel convection oven, that we purchased right after the refrigerator. I was holding out for a Viking, but all of our appliances seemed to break down at once, so I needed to find a more economical choice. My dishwasher is a Kenmore and needs an upgrade. My trash compactor is GE, and also needs an upgrade. I have a front load washer and dryer which are LG Tromm, both new too. All of my previous appliances were twenty years old and well just as they say ....when it rains, it pours. :)

rhonda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, DVC, Grand Pacific Palisades // Gone: Warner Springs Ranch, Seapointer (SA), WinPointVIP (?)
How many of you had to walk through your home/garage/laundry area to answer this question? ;) Quite some impressive lists of [item, brand of item].

My answer: No matching brands -- but as other said, I like to match color and general style in the kitchens. My laundry areas, largely unseen by visitors, have no requirements to match on any attribute.

laura1957

TUG Member
Reaction score
How many of you had to walk through your home/garage/laundry area to answer this question? ;) Quite some impressive lists of [item, brand of item].

My answer: No matching brands -- but as other said, I like to match color and general style in the kitchens. My laundry areas, largely unseen by visitors, have no requirements to match on any attribute.

When my oldest sister came to visit us about 2 years ago, she walked into my back porch, seen my washer and dryer (the Maytag neptune matching set I had just bought a couple months before) and was admiring them - she had wanted the same set, and was upset because she couldnt buy them. She only needed the dryer, so she had to buy a match for her washer. ???

The funny thing about this is - NOBODY but her and her husband ever, EVER have seen her washer and dryer in the 30+ years they have lived in their house. They are downstairs in her unfinished basement, so what difference could it possibly make.

ciscogizmo1

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Shadow Ridge, Timber Lodge & Waiohai
Westin: Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Villas
Disney: Beach Club Villas & Bay Lake Towers
Mine are all stainless steel in color but do not match in brand name. We have a Bose Dishwisher, Amanda Refrigerator and a Thermador stove. We bought all for 3 different reasons. I'd go with features you like over the brand.

Whirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think it is up to you,obviously, but if you are really design sensitive and want the handles and exteriors to match (,and some designers even try to then make the cabinet hardware similar in style as well) then yes.

Finish, I think should ( or buy appliances that can be blended in by taking a wood cabinet panel to match your other cabinetry) match.

When pricing, consider that some manufacturers give discounts or free shipping when buying 2 appliances or more, so that could be a factor to make sure you have the "best" pricing possible.

Our recent purchases are stainles,s but Ge micro and fridge and Kitchenaid DW and icemaker.

Last edited:

chicklet

TUG Member
Reaction score
For those who have bought stainless steel appliances have you been happy with them. We bought a 4 yr. old kitchenaid side-by-side fridge replacing a 27 yr. still working ge fridge.....it got damaged (water stains that loooked like a ripple effect across the bottom half of fridge door) just wondering whether to match the stove & microwave stainless steel or replace all and go back to white.

chicklet

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, i tried the oil but it only removed any fingerprints not the ripple-look on the fridge. My husband might try and buff it (he says it works on cars) i haven't got much to lose since it looks pretty awful anyways. It would cost $600 to replace the whole door....i wish i could just replace the panel. Thanks for all the comments and suggestions.

AwayWeGo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
Goodbye Whirlpool Range, Hello G. E. Range.

The Chief Of Staff got tired of her black front Whirlpool electric range with built in eye-level enclosure for free-standing microwave, so that's out of here -- advertised on Craig's List & picked up this evening. Good riddance.

In its place is a G.E. formerly smooth top white front electric range. Maybe with some appropriate cleaner & lots of elbow grease, the range top will be smooth once again, I don't know. As it is now, it cooks just fine but the formerly smooth top is semi-rough.

So now we have a white range, a newly installed GoldStar stainless steel over-range wall-mounted microwave, a black dishwasher, & a black refrigerator.

Somehow I suspect the white G.E. range will not be here long -- that The Chief Of Staff will decide what she really needs is a black smooth top electric range.

Last edited: