• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 29 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Check out our happy birthday post here: Happy Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Come check it out for a chance to win a Free TUG membership (or renewal) just for helping out!

Read more here
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars
  • Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
  • Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! 60,000+ subscribers! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

Read more Here
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Do you have an accent?

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
Take this quiz and see where your accent is from. I found it pretty interesting. It said I had a "midland" accent but since it mentioned it might be from Dallas, that's pretty close, having grown up in Amarillo, Texas.

persia

Reaction score
Never met a person without an accent. Mine came out Midland America.....

Take this quiz and see where your accent is from. I found it pretty interesting. It said I had a "midland" accent but since it mentioned it might be from Dallas, that's pretty close, having grown up in Amarillo, Texas.

Timeshare Von

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham (77k points at Myrtle Beach/Westwinds)
WOW! I can't believe being from the DC Metro/NoVA area and having lived in Milwaukee, that they got me dead on . . .

What American accent do you have?
Your Result: The Inland North

You may think you speak "Standard English straight out of the dictionary" but when you step away from the Great Lakes you get asked annoying questions like "Are you from Wisconsin?" or "Are you from Chicago?" Chances are you call carbonated drinks "pop."

My DC family/friends think I've been Midwesternized, and yet, the folks here think I speak funny and not like them!

presley

TUG Member
Reaction score
Pretty cool.

Your Result: The West

Your accent is the lowest common denominator of American speech. Unless you're a SoCal surfer, no one thinks you have an accent. And really, you may not even be from the West at all, you could easily be from Florida or one of those big Southern cities like Dallas or Atlanta.

Steve

Reaction score
I have the "midland" accent. It's fun to read what accents other TUGGERS have.

Steve

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Well, that's incorrect.

Your Result: The Midland
"You have a Midland accent" is just another way of saying "you don't have an accent." You probably are from the Midland (Pennsylvania, southern Ohio, southern Indiana, southern Illinois, and Missouri) but then for all we know you could be from Florida or Charleston or one of those big southern cities like Atlanta or Dallas. You have a good voice for TV and radio.

NWL

TUG Member
Reaction score
WOW! I can't believe being from the DC Metro/NoVA area and having lived in Milwaukee, that they got me dead on . . .

What American accent do you have?

You may think you speak "Standard English straight out of the dictionary" but when you step away from the Great Lakes you get asked annoying questions like "Are you from Wisconsin?" or "Are you from Chicago?" Chances are you call carbonated drinks "pop."

My DC family/friends think I've been Midwesternized, and yet, the folks here think I speak funny and not like them!

I, too am from the DC/NoVa area and got a result of the inland north, but I have never called carbonated drinks "pop". Always "soda" or "co cola". :)

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
It says I have The Midland accent, then said mine is The West. I was born and raised on the West Coast and in Hawaii, so I guess that's about right. I've never been accused of having an accent, except once:

While in Sydney, Australia in 1980, I was in a downtown shop, talking with two girls who worked there. There were speaking with a typical, heavy Aussie accent, and I had a hard time understanding them. One asked me why I looked so confused, and I told her I was having trouble understanding because of her accent. Both girls laughed out loud, and one said, "Sorry, Mate, but YOU'RE the one with the accent!" We all got a chuckle over that one. So I guess accents are relative. :)

Dave

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation
Haha. Quiz claims my heritage to be Inland North.

I grew up in New York, north but not inland in any way. Well, maybe 5 miles inland.

Have lived in Maine, Boston, New York, North Carolina, Alabama, Georgia & California. Have never lived in a state without an ocean attached.

H

CarolF

TUG Member
Reaction score
Judging by how you talk you are probably from north Jersey, New York City, Connecticut or Rhode Island. Chances are, if you are from New York City (and not those other places) people would probably be able to tell if they actually heard you speak.

I'm guessing you would probably think I sound either

1. Australian
2. South African
3. British

sarahtme

TUG Member
Reaction score
dead on

Island north. What most would refer to as the Minnesota accent. You are often mistaken for canadian.
Since I live about 70 miles from our northern friends, I would think that's about right.

Janette

TUG Member
Reaction score
I didn't think it used the words that would determine a southern accent but it was correct. Living in Sun City HHI, we are in the minority with our southern accents. Even my Maine grandchildren correct my pronunciation at times. I think the southern accent sounds so fake when I hear it on tv or in a movie but I'm told that it is exactly how I speak. No problem with any accent as long as we use the tongue in love and joy!

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ayuh...

"Boston accent, although you might actually be from New Hampshire or Maine"

I can't argue with that correct conclusion ---although I do take some exception to the suggestion of any possibility that I might be from New Hampshire.;)

BevL

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Canadians here so I didn't take the quiz but it always makes me laugh when Americans comment on my "accent." We get asked if we're English a lot.

When we took a six week vacation in "the States" a few years back, my mom said I came home with an "American accent."

LOL - I agree with the comment that accents are heard, not spoken.

persia

Reaction score
Wisconsin has the soda/pop line running through the middle of it. In the Madison area you'll hear both soda and pop.

Wisconsin also parks car IN ramps, has bubblers instead of drinking fountains (like Australia) and eats "bakery." We also call the strip of land between the street and sidewalk a "terrace."

total-county.gif

And of course it's pop you weirdos!;)

Last edited:

Elan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Mine came out Midland. I've lived in the West all of my life.

Margariet

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Very funny! My language is of course Dutch and not American but I took the quiz and scored a Northeast accent which is pretty much correct for the way Dutch people pronounce American English, I guess! ;)

blakebr

TUG Member
Reaction score
It nailed it! Madison, WI. ;)

P.S. I do not have an accent. All the rest of you do though! :annoyed: