• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Do you have a home in Boynton Beach, Delray Beach, Boca Raton or Palm Beach?

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
I am surprised no Tuggers have answered that live in these areas.

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Perhaps you could buy Martin Scorsese's TS in Boca?

This refers to the Tina Fey - Martin Scorsese commercial for American Express where they meet at an airport. He tells her that he has "something that could be a unique opportunity,” they go to the lounge and he hands her a stack of papers. Tina Fey assumes it's a movie script. But instead, Scorsese says, "I have a great timeshare in Boca... But you have to act now."

Last edited:

nerodog

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I know this is an area you’re not considering but if you choose to live in Naples or Bonita Springs I can provide you with a ton of info on active communities in both locations.

We have finally narrowed it down to 3 locations in Naples and in Bonita Springs.

I even found a newcomers group to join.

I wish you much success in finding the place that makes you happy
I have a friend who moved to Ponta Gorda and loves it. I know its west coast though.

Serina

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have traveled to several areas on both coasts of Florida & my parents retired to the Boca/DelRay area. By far, my favorite is Sarasota. Best of luck with your search!

Luvtoride

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Cypress Harbor
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Desert Springs Villas II
Marriott Grande Ocean

Panina, our very good friends from NJ who just spent 2 winters renting in Delray Beach just bought there this year. They bought a condo at the Glen Eagles Country Club Community. We visited them there in March (just before the pandemic hit) and were very impressed Great golf course, pools and club and just a gorgeous community of warm friendly people. Somewhat upscale but not stuffy. They have made many good friends in a short time there.
Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tompalm

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well, I grew up in West Palm Beach, but left there in 1974. I still go back to visit my sister every few years and she lives in Boynton. Most everyone I know from high school or cousins that lived in the area moved north to North Palm Beach, Juno, Jupiter or as far north as Cocoa Beach. Moving to central Florida was more about getting a cooler climate for six months of the year. But the problem with the area you mentioned is that it is full of older homes and shopping centers. When you go north, everything is newer and nicer. Most of my sister’s friends move out of south Florida as soon as they retire and move north or to the west side.

Last edited:

Conan

TUG Member
Reaction score
if you choose to live in Naples or Bonita Springs I can provide you with a ton of info on active communities in both locations.

We have finally narrowed it down to 3 locations in Naples and in Bonita Springs.

I even found a newcomers group to join.

I wish you much success in finding the place that makes you happy

We have family in that area, so it's always a possibility for us.
I would appreciate whatever info you can easily share. Publicly or privately, whichever you prefer.

joestein

TUG Member
Reaction score
Those area's are full of Jews and Italians (full disclosure - I am Jewish and married to an Italian) from the Tri-State area who retire there. If you have ever seen the movie 'Hebrew Hammer' - there is a running joke about Boca Raton being the pinnacle of Jewish retirement. My parents lived at Lakes of Delray from retirement to death.

I always thought the area was very nice. Very hot and humid in the summer. Lots of upscale restaurants and stores. Not a cheap area to live. NO STATE INCOME TAX! Not sure if I want to live there when I retire, but then again, I am not sure what I really want to do when I retire.

I found the youtube video with the Hebrew Hammer and Boca Raton. You have to go to 25 seconds for the Boca line.

Last edited:

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef
We have family in that area, so it's always a possibility for us.
I would appreciate whatever info you can easily share. Publicly or privately, whichever you prefer.
Hi Conan,

I'm happy to share...

Via Facebook, I joined the Naples, FL Group thru this group I found: Naples Newcomers Group
  • https://www.naplesnewcomersnorth.com/default.php
  • They also have a group for Naples South but we are only interested in living in North Naples
  • Communities:
    • North Naples - Wiggins Bay Condo's - There are about 5 different subs in this complex, we are focused on the condo's in the mid $300's - Inside this complex is the Tarpon Cove Yacht & Racquet Club, (we would join this as they have a boat that takes you to Delnor Wiggins Beach)
  • North Naples - RETREAT Condo's - We are focused on the 3 bedroom units on Lake Louise Cir
  • North Naples - Falling Waters North Preserve - Only interested in the first floor units, negative - detached garage
  • North Naples - The Vineyards - Can join the Vineyards Country Club, which is very active socially.
  • Naples - Village Walk of Naples - https://www.villagewalkofnaples.com/
  • Bonita Springs - Village Walk of Bonita Springs --- We like this location better then the Naples village Walk. These are villa's - Facebook Page called Village Walk of Bonita Springs
  • Bonita Springs - Pelican Landing -- We like the 3 Bedroom units and we love that this complex has its own private beach - 34-acre gulf island Beach Park in Big Hickory Island, This community is very active and has a Facebook Page called Pelican Landing Community Association

Conan

TUG Member
Reaction score
I found the youtube video with the Hebrew Hammer and Boca Raton. You have to go to 25 seconds for the Boca line.
That film clip is a shonda for the goyim
A "shonda for the goyim" means to do something shameful, publicly witnessed by non-Jews, thus bringing shame upon Jews in general.

joestein

TUG Member
Reaction score
A "shonda for the goyim" means to do something shameful, publicly witnessed by non-Jews, thus bringing shame upon Jews in general.

That film was produced and directly by Jews and many of the actors (quite a few are SNL alumni) are Jewish. I would say that every jewish person that I know who has seen it thinks it is very funny. I would say that you should be able to laugh at yourself. I would also say that I think that sterotypical humor is funny in general. You gotta laugh at your own, not just everyone else.

Jewish mother guilt trips and retirement in Florida - That is pretty basic jewish humor.

Conan

TUG Member
Reaction score
That film was produced and directly by Jews and many of the actors (quite a few are SNL alumni) are Jewish.
If Jews didn’t do it, it wouldn’t be a shonda!

(But you’re taking my comments too seriously. Next time I’ll include a smiley face) :)

Thomfam

TUG Member
Reaction score
We live in WPB, Hubble was born here and I spent most of my life here. We have family here so aren’t going anywhere. I would suggest looking north, maybe Stuart or even further north. PBC has gotten very crowded, increased crime rate andlots of traffic. The counties north of us have lower taxes, home prices etc. We have discussed moving an hour or so north but again with family here we are hesitant. We are used to the hurricane season and prepare, having hurricane windows and a generator certainly help. It takes 4-4.5 hours to get out of the state from here if that is a consideration for you. Let me know if there is anything specific I might be able to answer.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We live in WPB, Hubble was born here and I spent most of my life here. We have family here so aren’t going anywhere. I would suggest looking north, maybe Stuart or even further north. PBC has gotten very crowded, increased crime rate andlots of traffic. The counties north of us have lower taxes, home prices etc. We have discussed moving an hour or so north but again with family here we are hesitant. We are used to the hurricane season and prepare, having hurricane windows and a generator certainly help. It takes 4-4.5 hours to get out of the state from here if that is a consideration for you. Let me know if there is anything specific I might be able to answer.
My reason for the area is because I have friends and family there. Going North I would have no one nearby. I am splitting with my other half and trying to combine lifestyle and be in an area that there are a higher population of single so it is easier to make friends. I am originally from NY so use to the negativity of an congested area.

What does house insurance run and can you get a hurricane clause and cost. Do cars have registration or are they property taxed?

geekette

Reaction score
Not sure if it still is true, but Amtrack had a good AAA discount.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
... What does house insurance run and can you get a hurricane clause and cost. Do cars have registration or are they property taxed?

I'm in the Northern Florida, equidistant from the coasta, so my premium (Allstate) is less than someone on the coast, but... We do have hurricane coverage, the premium for which is about 1/3 of the total bill. There is a special 2% deductible for 'canes. In places where private insurance is not available, "Citizens Insurance Corp" (created by the state) is a back-up.

Vehicles are subject to annual registration (tag) fees only; not a property tax.
The tangible property tax applies only to businesses w/returns due only if >$25K in value.

Last edited:

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
That film was produced and directly by Jews and many of the actors (quite a few are SNL alumni) are Jewish. I would say that every jewish person that I know who has seen it thinks it is very funny. I would say that you should be able to laugh at yourself. I would also say that I think that sterotypical humor is funny in general. You gotta laugh at your own, not just everyone else.

Jewish mother guilt trips and retirement in Florida - That is pretty basic jewish humor.

LOL! It was funny! I used to say: Jewish and Italian- same thing! Ha! Ha!

Thomfam

TUG Member
Reaction score
My reason for the area is because I have friends and family there. Going North I would have no one nearby. I am splitting with my other half and trying to combine lifestyle and be in an area that there are a higher population of single so it is easier to make friends. I am originally from NY so use to the negativity of an congested area.

What does house insurance run and can you get a hurricane clause and cost. Do cars have registration or are they property taxed?

Yes, I understand friends and family being a pull to this area.
Regarding taxes: if you are within the city boundaries you will be taxed more ( city and county). Each city limits have their own tax amounts. We are within county limits only. The taxed value is usually approx 80% of the appraised Value and you will apply for homestead exemption so the first 50,000 is not taxed. 2019 our taxes were 2% of the taxi the value amount. Example - appraised 500,000- assessed (100000)- homestead (50000) = taxable 350000. Tax would be approx 700000. These are not our numbers, just an example . If you go on property appraisers Palm beach county , you can pull up an address and play with the tax.
House insurance: if you are east, close to the ocean it is higher and harder to get. It is hard to say cost as it depends on house value but companies vary. Hurricane insurance you can have a deductible of 2% or 5% and cost of insurance varies depending on the deductible. Liability insurance is a regular dollar amount deductible.
cars are registered with a yearly fee - Hubble pays that but I want to say 50 year. They are not property taxed.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Are you near Or familiar with the Lake Worth section?

Miss Marty

TUG Member
Reaction score
Do cars have registration or are they property taxed?

Florida Auto Insurance Requirements

In the state of Florida, a vehicle must have a valid registration to operate on Florida roads, and vehicle with out-of-state registrations are required by law to be registered within 10 days of the owner either becoming employed, placing children in public school, or establishing residency. A complete registration consists of the following:

MOTOR VEHICLES, TAGS & TITLES
License Plates & Registration

In the state of Florida, all license plates are required to be replaced every 10 years

Last edited:

Miss Marty

TUG Member
Reaction score
FLORIDA DRIVER LICENSES & ID CARDS

What if I have had a driver license from another state or country?

The department will reciprocate a license from another state;
A vision test is required for all original issuances.

Federal REAL-ID

As directed by the President, the Department of Homeland Security
has Extended the REAL ID enforcement deadline to October 1, 2021.

2020 Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles

Last edited:

Miss Marty

TUG Member
Reaction score
$

City of Delray Beach Florida Beach and Downtown
Parking Permits for Residents and Non-Residents!

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
My aunt and uncle lived in Lake Worth for many years. I liked their apartment and their community...they had a ground-floor apartment with a little sunroom, and you could walk out the back straight to the pool about thirty feet away. (This was way inland, about twenty minutes in from the beach.) Now they live in an assisted living community in Delray Beach. I do like Delray Beach because it has more of a "downtown," with shops and restaurants, than other Florida towns we've visited.