• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Do we need to requalify like Vistana or Pay Beneficial Interests like Marriott

GlennPS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton on the Blvd and Wyndham Points
I am looking to purchase a timeshare that is affiliated with Interval International.
Hyatt does look promising since I only want to use points. Most times, we will go away for only 3-4 days at a time, and a weekly timeshare would be partially wasted.

I have noticed that if I want to purchase Marriott Club Points under the heading of Abound and have full rights, we would need to pay them "Beneficial Interests" that can cost many thousands of dollars. For every 250 points that I purchase, Marriott wants $750 to have full rights. So 2,000 points would cost an additional $6,000.
Also, Vistana will give you full rights from a resale purchase if you purchase the same number of points from them directly. That seems to defeat the purpose of buying their product on the resale market.

So my hope is that the Hyatt Vacation Club (including the previously know Residence Club) does not ask a potential buyer to pay them too.

I am very new to timeshares as I have just bought 8,000 Hilton Points, but would like to expand my portfolio.

I do appreciate any thoughts to this post.

PerryKing

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYATT: Beaver Creek, Breckenridge, Bonita Springs, and 2X Dorado Puerto Rico.
-##-
MEXICO: Crown Paradise, Royal Holiday Club, Vidanta Mayan Palace, and Vidanta "Kingdom of the Sun-Nuevo Vallarta at Vidanta World.
You should NOT have to pay any extra fees to Hyatt if you buy a Deeded Week. (You can't buy , or don't want to in my opinion , buy Hyatt "Portfolio Points"). The only thing you will miss out on if you buy a fixed week in the HVC from a private party is that unless you buy from or through a "Hyatt authorized reseller", is you will not receive the option of exchanging your Hyatt deeded points once a year to exchange them for Hyatt Hotel points. The hotel point exchange feature is not a good deal generally anyway, so you will not be missing out on much.

You just need to find a deed week for sale, probably at a club location that you might actually want to use once in a while if you can not find availability at others that you might be trying to exchange into. And buy enough points to stay at the other clubs , and seasons that your interested in. i.e. You can't but a week with 1300 points and expect to go skiing in Beaver Creek or Breckenridge during high ski season for a week . (But you might be able to get in a few weekend days or weekdays - as an example). So go study the full Hyatt VC system points chart for the points that will be needed to stay at other club locations based on the season etc. Make sure you then buy enough of a deeded week to get the points to stay at other clubs when you want to , assuming there is availability when your looking to exchange.

That's all I know to say to you of the top of my head right now. I'm sure others will have more to say soon. And the HVC was the former name of the HRC anyway, and It's just a marketing thing, I believe, related to the now partial integration of most of the former WELK Resorts into the Hyatt vacation Club / Residence club. Therefore " Nothing to see there " that they are going back to the old name. And P.S. FYI: Marriott VC owns Interval International and also the Hyatt Vacation Club now.

Last edited:

GlennPS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
You should NOT have to pay any extra fees to Hyatt if you buy a Deeded Week. (You can't buy , or don't want to in my opinion , buy Hyatt "Portfolio Points"). The only thing you will miss out on if you buy a fixed week in the HVC from a private party is that unless you buy from or through a "Hyatt authorized reseller", is you will not receive the option of exchanging your Hyatt deeded points once a year to exchange them for Hyatt Hotel points. The hotel point exchange feature is not a good deal generally anyway, so you will not be missing out on much.

You just need to find a deed week for sale, probably at a club location that you might actually want to use once in a while if you can not find availability at others that you might be trying to exchange into. And buy enough points to stay at the other clubs , and seasons that your interested in. i.e. You can't but a week with 1300 points and expect to go skiing in Beaver Creek or Breckenridge during high ski season for a week . (But you might be able to get in a few weekend days or weekdays - as an example). So go study the full Hyatt VC system points chart for the points that will be needed to stay at other club locations based on the season etc. Make sure you then buy enough of a deeded week to get the points to stay at other clubs when you want to , assuming there is availability when your looking to exchange.

That's all I know to say to you of the top of my head right now. I'm sure others will have more to say soon. And the HVC was the former name of the HRC anyway, and It's just a marketing thing, I believe, related to the now partial integration of most of the former WELL's Resorts into the Hyatt vacation Club / Residence club. Therefore " Nothing to see there " that they are going back to the old name. And P.S. FYI: Marriott VC owns Interval International and also the Hyatt Vacation Club now.
I think that I have been looking at Welk owners selling their points. There is one for 360,000 points at a very reasonable price. Is it correct that I can transfer them to Hyatt Points
at a 3 for 1 ratio? That would give me 120,000 points. Does this make any sense? I'd like to buy enough points like Perry mentioned (above).

echino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYN HCC HWP HYP
HRA KAN WSJ WKV WLR SVV
MCV MKO MM1 MPU MSK
GP7
Valdoro
HHV Lagoon
I think that I have been looking at Welk owners selling their points. There is one for 360,000 points at a very reasonable price. Is it correct that I can transfer them to Hyatt Points
at a 3 for 1 ratio? That would give me 120,000 points. Does this make any sense? I'd like to buy enough points like Perry mentioned (above).

You cannot convert Welk points to HRC points. Don't buy Welk points unless you want to stay at Welk resorts. The systems are not integrated and may never be. To confuse things, Welk points are now called Hyatt (Vacation Club) points, which is different from real Hyatt (Residence Club) points, and different from Hyatt Portfolio points. And now Hyatt Residence Club is being renamed Hyatt Vacation Club to confuse things further.

Bottom line: buy a legacy Hyatt Residence Club week.

PerryKing

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
-##-
MEXICO: Crown Paradise, Royal Holiday Club, Vidanta Mayan Palace, and Vidanta "Kingdom of the Sun-Nuevo Vallarta at Vidanta World.
Ditto to echinao.'s comments ... to all that he says that I did not say. Your lucky you asked us.. You don't want to buy any Welk points, Probably, unless you realy know whats going on with them .

Last edited:

GlennPS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
You cannot convert Welk points to HRC points. Don't buy Welk points unless you want to stay at Welk resorts. The systems are not integrated and may never be. To confuse things, Welk points are now called Hyatt (Vacation Club) points, which is different from real Hyatt (Residence Club) points, and different from Hyatt Portfolio points. And now Hyatt Residence Club is being renamed Hyatt Vacation Club to confuse things further.

I do understand what you are saying so thank you!! If I purchase a deeded week, is there anyway that I can use only a few days at a time or am I obligated reserve a full week?
I would hope to purchase enough points for a two bedroom and then break them down into smaller segments.

Also, if I trade the week to interval, will that allow me to reserve just a few days at a time?

PerryKing

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
-##-
I do understand what you are saying so thank you!! If I purchase a deeded week, is there anyway that I can use only a few days at a time or am I obligated reserve a full week?
I would hope to purchase enough points for a two bedroom and then break them down into smaller segments.

Also, if I trade the week to interval, will that allow me to reserve just a few days at a time?
As for Hyatt Vacation club - YES. you can reserve 7 Night, , 3 night S-S-M ( or also a S-M-T based on if property has some buildings with both SAT and SUN check in days,) or 4 nights T-W-T-F and as a Club owner at some clubs with no extra cost , but at other clubs with the cost of a "Split week: cleaning fee around $30. ,.

..or another possibility a 1 night or 2 Nights or even once in a while a 28 night offer may pop up using Portfolio points. (that you can use your Hyatt deeded points to reserve if you have enough ) etc. . If you see such availability offered as Portfolio availability .using your regular deeded week point's, Making a one night stay portfolio reservations in not a very good deal (to me anyway) because of the points required, plus the $41 Reservation fee, and the $60 Cleaning fee.

You can also, By purchasing a "Guest Certificate " place friends and relatives in your unit or in other clubs where you have a reserved a club stay based on availability. Or rent out YOUR OWN UNIT (per club rules). You need to get and study the Hyatt points chart showing all the clubs and the points required for each , based on the season for each resort. Looking at that chart will probably answer most of your questions. Be aware also that some clubs are very hard to get a reservation in because of their popularity or that the owners almost always use their units so they never show up in the Hyatt Club reservation system. Example such as : Sarasota, Ka'anapali Beach Maui , and others or all others for certain seasons based on where they are located.

This is the new link provided by tugger KAL to the Hyatt points chart.
http://www.bywindkal.com/Hyatt/HRCPointsChart_2017.pdf

Also see the index page of this Hyatt Residence club TUG forum for other related threads that might be discussing areas that you have questions about . And also look for a link to the rules of the Hyatt Residence / Vacation club Rules and regulations.

Last edited:

Mongoose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinion Pointe, Hilton The Bay Club, Worldmark
Hyatt has a $650 transfer fee.

Mongoose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

It boggles the mind that they would buy Welk, brand it Hyatt without having a plan to integrate it. Sure would be nice if they would share their vision for the future. Even if I didn’t know about resale, I wouldn’t buy with so much uncertainty.

PerryKing

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
-##-
Hyatt has a $650 transfer fee.
Which I though there probably was, but I did not mention it because when I purchased a resale week the seller paid the Hyatt Transfer fee. So that's something to negotiate with the seller.

PerryKing

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
-##-
It boggles the mind that they would buy Welk, brand it Hyatt without having a plan to integrate it. Sure would be nice if they would share their vision for the future. Even if I didn’t know about resale, I wouldn’t buy with so much uncertainty.
Yes that's right ..... I would not buy a Welk or Welk points at this time either , but no reason to let that necessarily prevent one from buying into the Hyatt Vacation Club if they like what they see as it currently is.

PerryKing

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
-##-
Hyatt Residence Club / Vacation Club points chart:

This is the new link provided by tugger KAL
http://www.bywindkal.com/Hyatt/HRCPointsChart_2017.pdf

This link goes to an old Hyatt RC points chart, but it gives one an idea of the club options.

Note: Aspen and Park City UT are no longer part of the Hyatt Resident club. But some prior owned units owned by HRC Portfolio System are available at Aspen and show up in the Hyatt reservation system as "Portfolio Reservations" that any member can book with regular Hyatt deeded week points, or with Portfolio points. (Portfolio Members can see and book this availability way before a deeded points only member can see them.

Last edited:

PerryKing

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
-##-

PerryKing

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
-##-

GlennPS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
This is all very helpful, thank you

cfabar1

Reaction score
Can resale HRC fixed week owners still exchange their points for other weeks at their resort in the Hyatt system? Or has Marriott taken that feature away?

For example, if I buy a week at Coconut, can I flip those points with Hyatt into another week at Coconut (assuming I have the points available), or has Marriott taken that away and said all exchanges have to go through Interval for “resale” purchases?

Mongoose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Can resale HRC fixed week owners still exchange their points for other weeks at their resort in the Hyatt system? Or has Marriott taken that feature away?

For example, if I buy a week at Coconut, can I flip those points with Hyatt into another week at Coconut (assuming I have the points available), or has Marriott taken that away and said all exchanges have to go through Interval for “resale” purchases?
HRC can still access all HRC and HPC locations. To access Welk/HVC you have to use II.

cfabar1

Reaction score
So when the name change happens will we lose access? I thought all Hyatt is going to be HVC soon?

Mongoose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
So when the name change happens will we lose access? I thought all Hyatt is going to be HVC soon?
We really don’t know. At some point they have to merge or the entire merger is a gigantic wast of time.

Last edited:

ScoopKona

Reaction score
Monkey King Coffee - Captain Cook, Hawaii
FYI: When I worked for Hyatt, it was called the Hyatt Vacation Club. They changed to Residence Club about 15 years ago. (Sounded less like a timeshare program.)

I think it's likely that they went with their old Vacation Club branding for Welk because they already own that. The logos and artwork and trademarks are already in place. No other reason than to get Lawrence Welk's name off the front door.

ivywag

TUG Member
Reaction score
It’s all going to be called HVC, but nothing will change with access. We will all be able to do exactly as we can now.
FYI: When I worked for Hyatt, it was called the Hyatt Vacation Club. They changed to Residence Club about 15 years ago. (Sounded less like a timeshare program.)

I think it's likely that they went with their old Vacation Club branding for Welk because they already own that. The logos and artwork and trademarks are already in place. No other reason than to get Lawrence Welk's name off the front door.
I think that they might be changing the HRC name back to HVC because Hyatt has a new program called Hyatt Residence. It’s the short term vacation rental of homes and my theory is that Hyatt wanted the name back so that there is less confusion with their new program. I’ve seen several Hyatt Residences on Expedia, etc. I have no first hand information, but this seems reasonable. We probably lost our lease on the HRC name.

RunCat

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HPP, Sheraton Flex.
Was at the Welk Resort in Cabo last week. They are promoting a program called "Beyond" (albeit no details are yet available). It seems to be an overlay program that will link "HRC" and "Welk" in a system similar to the "Abound" program that links MVC and Vistana. Full details should be announced this summer.

ivywag

TUG Member
Reaction score
Was at the Welk Resort in Cabo last week. They are promoting a program called "Beyond" (albeit no details are yet available). It seems to be an overlay program that will link "HRC" and "Welk" in a system similar to the "Abound" program that links MVC and Vistana. Full details should be announced this summer.
I don’t believe that it will link the two systems. It is a program to add more options to Portfolio and Welk points— cruises and such.