• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Do I trade my three bdrm for a two bdrm?

susanmmm

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I own a three bedroom Villa at Grande Vista during Platinum Season. I'm concerned about my trading value and want to go to Hawaii in 2010 during prime time. I am debating if it would be to my advantage if I traded my three bedroom GV unit for a two bedroom at a resort in Hawaii. Would that improve my chances of getting what I want? Any comments would be appreciated.

GrayFal

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
I own a three bedroom Villa at Grande Vista during Platinum Season. I'm concerned about my trading value and want to go to Hawaii in 2010 during prime time. I am debating if it would be to my advantage if I traded my three bedroom GV unit for a two bedroom at a resort in Hawaii. Would that improve my chances of getting what I want? Any comments would be appreciated.

Welcome to TUG.

Many Marriott Grande Vista owners report trading their 2BR Platinum MGV into 2BRs in Hawaii - be sure to reserve a GOOD week at MGV - such as Presidents week or Easter/Spring break weeks and deposit it at the 12 month Mark with II - then request your hawaii trade 13 months before you want to go for your best bet in getting a match. I don't think using your 3BR will improve your chances as it is a Plat to Plat trade. If you were trying to trade a gold week then I would say use your 3BR - otherwise the 2BR will be fine.

See my signature below - and join our owners Yahoo group. :hi:

CMF

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi.

A couple of questions:

1. Do you "need" a three bedroom in Hawaii?
2. Is your Grande Vista 3 bedroom a lock-out?
3. What week do you have reserved?
4. Do you know who to search for exchanges in II without depositing your week?

My opinion will depend on your answers.

Charles

susanmmm

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Wow!!! Can't believe I have received replies already. Thanks.

In answer to your questions...

1. I will only need a two bedroom.
2. Yes, my GV unit is a lock-out (or lock-off?)
3 I am planning on reserving the week before or after easter, as this seems to be the most popular in Orlando. This year I reserved week 9 (since the II guide said it was in high demand). I still have not received my exchange requested (for other locations) for the April 2009 time slot, even though I put the request in March 2008. My VOA suggested for my 2010 I should stick with Easter for my home resort booking and then attempt exchange.
4. I haven't attempted this, but I think I could figure it out. Do you think I should request first as opposed to deposit first?

I look forward to you suggestions.

Susan

A couple of questions:

1. Do you "need" a three bedroom in Hawaii?
2. Is your Grande Vista 3 bedroom a lock-out?
3. What week do you have reserved?
4. Do you know who to search for exchanges in II without depositing your week?

My opinion will depend on your answers.

Charles

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wow!!! Can't believe I have received replies already. Thanks.

In answer to your questions...

1. I will only need a two bedroom.
2. Yes, my GV unit is a lock-out (or lock-off?)
3 I am planning on reserving the week before or after easter, as this seems to be the most popular in Orlando. This year I reserved week 9 (since the II guide said it was in high demand). I still have not received my exchange requested (for other locations) for the April 2009 time slot, even though I put the request in March 2008. My VOA suggested for my 2010 I should stick with Easter for my home resort booking and then attempt exchange.
4. I haven't attempted this, but I think I could figure it out. Do you think I should request first as opposed to deposit first?

I look forward to you suggestions.

Susan

Where are u trying to go in April '09?
Some locations are more difficult to exchange into because they are all lock-offs and MANY owners lock-off.
In most circumstances, the week with the Easter Saturday check-in start date would have more demand then the week before.

CMF

TUG Member
Reaction score
First take care of reserving a strong week at Grande Vista. DO NOT split and deposit.

Then take your time checking II using your studio, two bedroom side, and the entire three bedroom villa. You can use a dummy number to do test exchanges (any 8 digit number that begins with an 8). This way, you may see the week you want with a smaller unit and not have to deposit the entire 3 bedroom.

Keep checking II until you see what you want. If you see something you like, with the studio or two bedroom side, call Marriott owner services to split the villa, have them transfer you to the Marriott desk at II, and complete the transaction.

It's fun! I miss having my Grande Vista 3 bedroom :(

Charles

susanmmm

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to trade my 2 bdrm lock-off at GV for a 2 bdrm Harborside Atlantis, Westin St. John Resort and Villas or Marriott's Frenchman"s Cove. I have requested both the week before or the week after Easter.
Where are u trying to go in April '09?
Some locations are more difficult to exchange into because they are all lock-offs and MANY owners lock-off.
In most circumstances, the week with the Easter Saturday check-in start date would have more demand then the week before.

susanmmm

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks Charles for your words of wisdom. I'll give it a try!
First take care of reserving a strong week at Grande Vista. DO NOT split and deposit.

Then take your time checking II using your studio, two bedroom side, and the entire three bedroom villa. You can use a dummy number to do test exchanges (any 8 digit number that begins with an 8). This way, you may see the week you want with a smaller unit and not have to deposit the entire 3 bedroom.

Keep checking II until you see what you want. If you see something you like, with the studio or two bedroom side, call Marriott owner services to split the villa, have them transfer you to the Marriott desk at II, and complete the transaction.

Charles

Bill4728

Reaction score
I'm trying to trade my 2 bdrm lock-off at GV for a 2 bdrm Harborside Atlantis, Westin St. John Resort and Villas or Marriott's Frenchman"s Cove. I have requested both the week before or the week after Easter.

The resorts you're trying to exchange into are some of the most difficult weeks to get. That is why you're having problems. Most owners at the starwood resorts either use their week or do internal trades within the Starwood (westin/sheraton) system. So it is almost impossible to go to Harborside or St Johns during peak season.

The Marriott is a possiblity, but I'd expand my resorts and dates if you can (maybe aruba??)

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
You will not get the Harborside at Atlantis - Starwood has an internal exchange system called SVN where owners exchange 'StarOptions' into other resorts - very few weeks make it into II and if they do - they are in the Sept/Oct, January, May timeframe....Starwwod/Westin/Sheraton owners have a 3 day preference where only they can get these deposits.... so you would only get the leftovers.

Westin St John - same as above except most owners use or rent their weeks.... I know 4 people who have exchange n there thru II and they had Starwood weeks to do it.

Marriott Frenchmen's Cove is doable as a Marriott to Marriott exchange but that fact that you have not gotten it yet is not good.

Is there a reason you NEED to travel the week before or after Easter? Kids in school?

And week 9, 2009 is NOT the week before or after Easter - a week 7 Presidents week or 10,11,12 spring break would have been a better choice - but this is water under the bridge.

Last edited:

susanmmm

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
You guessed it...kids in school. Our spring break falls the week before and after Easter.
The week 9 reservation was chosen due to the II peak graph in the directory for Orlando.
For my 2010 reservation what week would you suggest I reserve (knowing that I will ultimately trade it)?

You will not get the Harborside at Atlantis - Starwood has an internal exchange system called SVN where owners exchange 'staroptions' into other resorts - very few weeks make it into II and if they do - they are in the Sept/Oct, January, May timeframe....Starwwod/Westin/Sheraton owners have a 3 day preference where only they can get these deposits.... so you would only get the leftovers.

Westin St John - same as above except most owners use or rent their weeks.... I kow 4 people who have exchnage n there thru II and they had Starwood weeks to do it.

Marriott Frenchmen's Cove is doable as a Marriott to Marriott exchange but that fact that you have not gotten it yet is not good.

Is there a reason you NEED to travel the week before or after Easter? Kids in school?

And week 9, 2009 is NOT the week before or after Easter - a week 7 Presidents week or 10,11,12 spring break would have been a better choice - but this is water under the bridge.

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
You guessed it...kids in school. Our spring break falls the week before and after Easter.
The week 9 reservation was chosen due to the II peak graph in the directory for Orlando.
For my 2010 reservation what week would you suggest I reserve (knowing that I will ultimately trade it)?
Easter week starting the Saturday of Easter weekend.

Try adding the 2 Marriott Aruba Properties and the St Kitt property to your request.
Week 9 (non-holiday/spring break week) might not be able to get you a holiday week in the Caribbean, sorry!

Zac495

TUG Member
Reaction score
Take them out of school the week you get. You only live once. I'm a teacher - it's not that big of a deal if they're younger than 12.

susanmmm

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree, however they are a junior and freshman.

I
Take them out of school the week you get. You only live once. I'm a teacher - it's not that big of a deal if they're younger than 12.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

Charles
Charles, would this not be a cancellation and rebooking subject to availability. I realize that it's Orlando and there is a much lower chance of availability problems. Regardless one can search online with the 2 BR and studio or 3 BR regardless of what you reserve if you haven't yet deposited any of the unit. I doubt the 3 BR will add much to the trade power over the 2 BR and not having on ongoing search will certainly remove options and reduce chances. Personally I'd decide what I'd do if I locked it off. If I was very sure I wouldn't use the studio to exchange, give away, rent or stay in, I'd deposit as a 3 BR. In any other scenario I'd pay the lockoff fee and have 2 units to trade or use. I'd then deposit the 2 BR and likely the studio as well assuming I didn't have any plans to use it myself. I'd start an ongoing search using the 2 BR then play online with the studio. If you could get a 1 BR using the studio, it might be worth trying for two separate exchanges into say two 1 BR units instead of a 2 BR. This won't work with younger kids but works great with many groups. It also gives you the option of a possible bonus week buy depositing first, though I'm not sure if GV is getting an AC these days.

susanmmm

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks Dean for your words of wisdom. I feel foolish to ask but.... what is an AC?

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks Dean for your words of wisdom. I feel foolish to ask but.... what is an AC?
Glad to help. No reason to feel foolish. It's an Accommodation Certificate, also called a bonus week. II sometimes offers them for certain deposits. They are variably helpful depending on your situation. I just trade one for a 2 BR unit at a DVC resort next May even though I own with DVC. HI is tough in general, esp for 2 BR units at top resorts. We plan to go back in about 3 years and will need to accommodate 4 people. I own one week but will likely go 3 and will likely go for 1 BR units to get time locked in then try to get a second unit for each week to allow more privacy and space.